Theme nights....

Since I am a newbie pretty much ( I went on one cruise in the greek islands in 1994, during my visit to Greece,  but it was a very small ship), I was wondering, when they have 'theme' nights.. like a 70's dance party... or other special themed event... do they let you know about it before you go somehow, so that you can bring appropriate clothing or whatever...?  Just curious....

26 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

Since I am a newbie pretty much ( I went on one cruise in the greek islands in 1994, during my visit to Greece,  but it was a very small ship), I was wondering, when they have 'theme' nights.. like a 70's dance party... or other special themed event... do they let you know about it before you go somehow, so that you can bring appropriate clothing or whatever...?  Just curious....

If you check the compass for a similar itinerary, you will find the celebrations listed. 

On the Harmony, there is something on the promenade and then perhaps in the music venue "Dazzles".  On the Grandeur (Vision Class), the celebrations are in the Centrum.   White night on Harmony was held in the Solarium (11 PM Day 6).   I really don't recall that many people dressed for 50's or 70's.   I have attached compass for our trip on Harmony in May.  I recall the Main Dining Room had a Caribbean Night.  For packing, I lean towards island style in Caribbean cruises.  For Europe, I pack more smart casual.

HarmonyOfTheSeas-CruiseCompass-May26-2019-FullSet.pdf

No they don't inform you prior.  However, since you found this site, just look at previous cruise compasses for the ship and itinerary that matches your cruise. (at the top of the page) Every RCCL cruise I have been on has had the following:

Silent Disco

White night

70s.

The smaller ships can be hit or miss for Silent Disco (ie Lady G).  Silent Disco is where they give everyone headphones to dance with.  It's fun to watch.  Most people do not dress up for the 70s or white night.   We only dress up for the white night because typically since we do Caribbean cruises hubby and I take white shirts.   We have seen a few people dress up for the 70s.  Some ships also have an 80s theme party too.  

Besides the parties of course there will be the fun shows that I would call audience involved....Battle of the Sexes, Love and Marriage, and of course Quest.

Royal doesn't notify you about specific nights before... I've read comments that it is because there would be issues if for some reason they didn't happen.  As @ChessE4 said, old compasses are your best bet... They rarely change them.  There are always some people that go all out... Esp. For 70s night... But I have totally felt comfortable in participating even if I didn't have the clothes.  Jane

We were on Anthem last year (New England cruise).  They have the 3 I mentioned.  For some reason It is stuck in my mind that the 70's and Silent are on the same night in the same lounge.  70s is 1st than the Silent.  However, I maybe incorrect and it was Battle of the Sexes than followed the 70s or Silent.

Quest will be in the 270.  I will not give anything away about the show, but it is very adult in humor.  Hint:  Wear flip flops, your team will love you bc they will ask for an article of clothing with a thong...most people think underwear, but flip flops have a thong and they accept that.

The Acrobatic show is in the 270.  Book that for 1 of the 1st nights available because if the seas are rocky they will cancel the show.  Thus, if you leave that for the last you might not see it.  

The 270 is where they serve the famous kummelwreck for lunch.  I want to say we went there @12-12:30 for lunch on a sea day, as we were finishing up, they came in and did a practice run for the show.  Glad we were there because we had reserved the show for the last showing and due to seas they canceled it.  So for us we did get to see it, just not at night.  Lunch time it is what I would call a light fare.  Salads, soups and sandwiches.

The only thing I would say to not waste a minute on is The Gift.  I don't know why it has not yet been replaced.  I know nobody that ever said OOOHHH I want to see that again!  OK, that is a lie.  The ones that say they want to see it again, only want to because it made no sense and so hopefully seeing it a 2nd time it will make sense.  They walk away feeling the same as they did after the 1st time...HUH?

We Will Rock You is great, but do not leave as soon as the show is out to beat the crowds.  There will be an encore.

8 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

The only thing I would say to not waste a minute on is The Gift.  I don't know why it has not yet been replaced.  I know nobody that ever said OOOHHH I want to see that again!  OK, that is a lie.  The ones that say they want to see it again, only want to because it made no sense and so hopefully seeing it a 2nd time it will make sense.  They walk away feeling the same as they did after the 1st time...HUH?

Ok I'm now dying to see this as EVERYONE says the same thing!!!   Jane

@AshleyDillo  That's the thing...when you ask people about We Will Rock You they would all see it again.

To me, The Gift is like the Bionic Bar.  Been there, done that, checked the box.

I love the Anthem, but the Bionic Bar is such a big waste of space.  75% of the time it is down.  It has no atmosphere.  I would compare that bar to going to your local 7-11 and getting a Slurpee.  You get the drink and than wander around the ship.  It is cold and anti-septic.   It is cool in a way, but honestly it is 45 seconds of OH AH and now what?

I would also say the flaw I found in the Anthem was Schooners layout.  It is way too small, especially during a popular themed trivia contest.  I recall for the Friends (TV) trivia it was standing room only 15 mins before it even started.  

There were things that I loved about the Anthem.  To me the Solarium is the best!  Not only do you have an amazing view, with amazing plush lounge beds, but you have the bar,  multiple hot tubs, the peek a boo bridge and the Solarium bistro connected.  My favorite is the swing.  it is a great spot for when you pull into port.  I never felt it to be humid.

I love what I call the cut out on the floor that let's you look all the way down.  Windjammer level.

I love the fact that they have 3 pools.  The outside, than the covered with a separate kiddie pool and the Solarium.  This is great because unlike other ships, where they only have the outdoor and the Solarium (which is typically covered), they don't have to open up the Solarium to younger passengers if the weather is bad.  

I love the WJ.  They have more than ample seating, and you can also sit outside.  I also like they have the coffee bar in the WJ, so in the a.m. you can get your specialty coffee while you wait for your omelet.

I love how they take sanitizing seriously.  You cannot enter the WJ without going through the hand washing station, and at every restaurant they have a Purell sanitizer station in front of the entry door.  WASHY WASHY

I feel the Esplanade was not planned well.  They have the pub next to Sorrentos and where they sell popcorn, and do their "sidewalk sale".  It becomes very congested, especially since the pub televises sports.    If memory serves me correctly the photo kiosk is off of Schooners, so again it gets bottle necked.

Parking at Cape Liberty is IMPO AHHHmazing.  It is attached to the terminal.  It is covered....heat, rain, snow, your car is good to go.  Park you car and if you walk really slow, you are in the terminal in 5 mins.  When you debark, if you are smart, 1 will go and get the car, bring it down to the lowest level, while the other drags the bags and load there or you can pay for a porter.  Quick and easy. It has never taken us more than 10 mins from customs to getting on the NJTPKE.

22 minutes ago, FManke said:

Where are the theme nights usually posted before the cruise? How do you know if there are any planned before embarkation?

I don't believe they are ever posted in advance.  Your best bet is to keep an eye out for Cruise Compass postings for your ship on this site as it gets closer to your sailing.  That does not guarantee the theme night but it's highly likely it will be and give you an idea of when it will be.  From what I've learned on here and seen, Cruise Compasses do not change a lot from sailing to sailing-exception is likely the entertainment that is contracted with RCCL.  However, the closer to your sailing, the more likely you will see the same entertainment as you found in the Cruise Compass closet to your sailing.  You can find the Cruise Compass postings up at the top of this page.  With the RCB being on their group sailing right now, there is likely a delay for any recent Cruise Compasses until they return and can post.

Happy Sailing!

Edit: I should note that the postings for the Cruise Compass are from cruisers that provide them to the admin of this site.  They do not get all cruise compasses all the time but they do get a good mix.  You could also check out the live blogs section to see what people may have posted there about their theme nights for the ship you are on.

13 minutes ago, CruisinUpinLife said:

I don't believe they are ever posted in advance.  Your best bet is to keep an eye out for Cruise Compass postings for your ship on this site as it gets closer to your sailing.  That does not guarantee the theme night but it's highly likely it will be and give you an idea of when it will be.  From what I've learned on here and seen, Cruise Compasses do not change a lot from sailing to sailing-exception is likely the entertainment that is contracted with RCCL.  However, the closer to your sailing, the more likely you will see the same entertainment as you found in the Cruise Compass closet to your sailing.  You can find the Cruise Compass postings up at the top of this page.  With the RCB being on their group sailing right now, there is likely a delay for any recent Cruise Compasses until they return and can post.

Happy Sailing!

Edit: I should note that the postings for the Cruise Compass are from cruisers that provide them to the admin of this site.  They do not get all cruise compasses all the time but they do get a good mix.  You could also check out the live blogs section to see what people may have posted there about their theme nights for the ship you are on.

I was curious as I see people dress for the occasion, but wondered how they know what the theme is or what to bring.

I'm not one of those people though, unless of course they have "overweight, middle -aged dad night"  then I'm all set!

14 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

love the Anthem, but the Bionic Bar is such a big waste of space.  75% of the time it is down.  It has no atmosphere.  I would compare that bar to going to your local 7-11 and getting a Slurpee.  You get the drink and than wander around the ship.  It is cold and anti-septic.   It is cool in a way, but honestly it is 45 seconds of OH AH and now what?

Wow .. Just figured out how to quote a section without deleting everything around it!!  I totally really want to check this off though....just one check!!!!!   Jane

7 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Wow .. Just figured out how to quote a section without deleting everything around it!!  I totally really want to check this off though....just one check!!!!!   Jane

Good for you Jane!! Although you could have just asked a long time ago??

I agree with @Pima1988, BUT if you have never watched the Bionic Bar, seeing it the first time IS an "oh that's cool" moment. To me, the more times I get to say "OH WOW", the better the cruise!!