MattCasey

Freedom of the Seas Fatality?

Breaking News per David Begnaud (CBS News): BREAKING: Sam Anello, the Indiana grandpa charged with negligent homicide after his granddaughter fell from his hands aboard a cruise ship in Puerto Rico will plead guilty in a deal offered by prosecutors. Deal: no jail time, no admission to the facts, probation served in Indiana.

3 minutes ago, Mariner2001 said:

Breaking News per David Begnaud (CBS News): BREAKING: Sam Anello, the Indiana grandpa charged with negligent homicide after his granddaughter fell from his hands aboard a cruise ship in Puerto Rico will plead guilty in a deal offered by prosecutors. Deal: no jail time, no admission to the facts, probation served in Indiana.

Wow! That's incredible!

5 minutes ago, FManke said:

How does this effect the civil lawsuit against RCCL?

Having pled guilty to the crime, I don't see that they can successfully sue the cruise line, but they may still try. Opinions, any lawyers on this forum?

Partial statement from the attorney:

He added that the family wants to “turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows.”

Children only fall from windows when held out of them, which appears what Grandpa did. 

14 hours ago, RWDW1204 said:

Partial statement from the attorney:

“turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows.”

I am pretty sure that this is the one and only time a person mistook an open window on a cruise ship and lifted a child up to a window and released the child as if the window would hold the child and the child fall to its death. There is so many wrong thoughts in doing that act it is hard to begin to understand what was going on in the Grandpa's mind. I feel so sorry for the family and I couldn't even imagine them sitting down for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner together in the future. The pain and tragedy would be too much. 

10 hours ago, FManke said:

How does this effect the civil lawsuit against RCCL?

It most likely will not affect it much.  As a part of the plea he is not admitting to any of the facts.  I am not a lawyer, but to the best of my knowledge, a felony conviction can only be used to attack the credibility of the witness.  

12 hours ago, Mariner2001 said:

Deal: no jail time, no admission to the facts, probation served in Indiana.

I think their idea behind this is that the argument will be that there was no admission to guilt and because of that they will be able to fight with their civil suit.  The argument of no admission to guilt does not change the facts that the grandfather acted irresponsible, negligent, and his actions endangered the life of his granddaughter.  This will be a difficult case to win for the prosecution as all of the evidence gathered will still be admissible, but I am sure the prosecution will fight to get it thrown out. 

10 minutes ago, StayFrosty said:

It most likely will not affect it much.  As a part of the plea he is not admitting to any of the facts.  I am not a lawyer, but to the best of my knowledge, a felony conviction can only be used to attack the credibility of the witness.  

He is not admitting to the facts, but he is accepting the guilty plea, which means he is saying, "Guilty."

He is guilty,  there is surveillance footage and witnesses.  It doesn't sound like a good idea to sue. Even the slimy lawyer would be unlikely to pursue it because I'm sure it would be on contingency and it would be costly and he would get nothing. 

I am not a lawyer but what I'm seeing here is that the lawyer will argue that had Royal "adhered to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children", the negligent grandfather would not have had the chance to cause the death of his grandchild.  They'd say, "If there were no open windows there, the accident could not have happened."

My two cents ...

10 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

This same lawyer has an ad on Facebook reaching out to (Diamond) Princess passengers who want to sue the cruise line.

I wish there was an angry emoji! The cruise line did their part in trying to stop the virus from spreading. It's not like they wanted to halt sailings and lock everyone up like a prisoner. Ugh! Maybe slipping Jimmy here should use his powers for good instead of evil. 

53 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

Aha! I knew it. 'Remember the old-style "ambulance chaser" lawyer? This guy's a cruise ship chaser.

Better Call Saul! My favorite line in the Breaking Bad series is when Jesse says: "You don't want a criminal lawyer... you want a criminal lawyer."

49 minutes ago, BB1 said:

He is guilty,  there is surveillance footage and witnesses.  It doesn't sound like a good idea to sue. Even the slimy lawyer would be unlikely to pursue it because I'm sure it would be on contingency and it would be costly and he would get nothing. 

The lawyer on the civil suit has been on the case since 72 hours post mortem 

26 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

had Royal "adhered to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children", 

They'd say, "If there were no open windows there, the accident could not have happened."

I believe that this is the first case, I know I have ever heard of on any cruise ship, of a child "falling" overboard. Doesn't that in and of its self prove that RC and other cruise ships safety measures have worked in preventing such incidents? How many milliions of children have cruised over the years without incident? Chloe would still be alive if it were not for her careless grandfather. My hope is that the family can try and find some peace going forward. 

1 minute ago, FManke said:

I believe that this is the first case, I know I have ever heard of on any cruise ship, of a child "falling" overboard. Doesn't that in and of its self prove that RC and other cruise ships safety measures have worked in preventing such incidents? How many milliions of children have cruised over the years without incident? Chloe would still be alive if it were not for her careless grandfather. My hope is that the family can try and find some peace going forward. 

I'm not arguing with you on this, in fact I fully agree with you.  But I'm sure the lawyer will fight this reasoning and logic.

10 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I'm not arguing with you on this, in fact I fully agree with you.  But I'm sure the lawyer will fight this reasoning and logic.

I think we can also be fairly certain that the lawyer won't be USING any logic and reasoning 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Grandpa's plea deal is likely the best course of action for the family at this point in the game or they wouldn't go there.

The civil case is very different and not associated or bound to the government's criminal case against Grandpa.  

By accepting the plea deal the parents prevent a lot of discovery and evidence that might have worked against them in their civil case against Royal.  Grandpa is a puppet following orders.  

18 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I'm just a normal guy, looking at it with many years of life experience. No more, no less. Of course, a lawyer is going to look at it differently. He has a dog in the fight. Laws and lawsuits aren't always based in logic, in my opinion.

This is a game not unlike a game of chess.  The family is very proficient in the game of law, no move they make is whimsical or uncalculated.

The actions of a game piece took their precious child.  That can't be undone.  Now that rook is being sacrificed.  The choice to sacrifice their rook was made looking at the game board thinking four or five moves ahead in the game.

A higher power will see through the game.  In the end everyone involved will be accountable for their actions regardless what occurs in this game of law.