MattCasey

Freedom of the Seas Fatality?

Wow... :51_scream:

Thoughts and prayers to the family and to all of the folks that witnessed this tragedy.

I'm sure there are better sources, but unfortunately it appears to be true: 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/07/articles/maritime-death/two-year-old-child-dies-after-falling-from-freedom-of-the-seas/

It appears the 18-month old girl was dangled through the open window on the pool deck (Deck 11) based on the article and video of the ongoing investigation (video in Spanish)... no words.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1150533/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-freedom-of-the-seas-death-baby-girl-san-juan-puerto-rico

Very sad.

Just an example of how short life is and how it can all change in a second.

We should all stop for a minute and think about how lucky we all are to have what we have and truly appreciate it all.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family today and into the future. They will be changed forever.

Sadly this is very true one of the Childs Grandparents was holding the toddler out of an open window on the 11 deck the toddler fell to the ground where they were docked and the toddler lost their life in the fall none of the Ship's Crew can be held responsible for this this is the responsibility of the Child's Grandparents who hung the Child out of the Window on the 11 deck as we are given to understand? We have Sailed With The Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships From Southampton Twice last year and will be Sailing with them again in the not to different future!! Unsure if drink or anything was involved or just A Tragic Accident? The Toddler's Mum was heard Screaming And Crying After The Fall? Unsure if the Child's Mum Witnessed What Had Happened?

My prayers go out to the family and also to anyone who had the misfortune to witness the tragedy.

As the grandfather of a 20 month old, I know how wiggly and squirmy they can be. I can't imagine how hard this will hit the whole family, let alone the grandfather who was holding her up (probably so she could see the view better).

On our recent Freedom cruise our son and daughter-in-law mandated "no kids on the balcony, even with adults." This situation is a reminder that they weren't being over-the-top in their caution - they were looking out for the best interest of their kids.

3 hours ago, Ann Worth said:

Could we be kept updated about this Tragedy Please? 

It looks like the father of the toddler is a police officer (South Bend, Indiana police department). The immediate family, including siblings, and both sets of grandparents were on the trip together.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-ne-toddler-falls-11-floors-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-20190708-f72uu7jvofcyxp4dnjenjliwta-story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/08/us/toddler-falls-cruise-ship-trnd/index.html

When I was praying about this last night, I couldn't help but think about how the grandfather will eventually react to this, and I'm 

saddened that it could be very well just as tragic.  Now knowing that he is in Law Enforcement and has daily access to firearms, 

I pray that he doesn't try to relieve his guilt (which must be so enormous we can't even fathom it) the "easy" way.

God please grant strength to every member of this family, along with those who may have witnessed it.

There's conflicting information all over about this from the child's age to the circumstances. Some say the grandfather was holding her, other reports say she slipped through an open window. It's too soon to make judgments.

After reading the story my heart goes out to the family, and as unpopular as it is, I also really feel for the grandfather and his daughter.  We all know that there is a serious strain on that relationship.  Not to mention that he has to feel absolutely HORRIBLE, they all are definitely in my prayers!  Such an absolutely sad situation for all of them! 😢

4 hours ago, 12thman said:

Anyone know what will happen to the grandfather if anything? That's a very careless act. 

Hi I don't have any idea what will happen to the Grandfather I think it would depend on the outcome of the Police Investigations? This Devastating Tragedy Should Never Have Happened? Let Alone in the hands of the toddler's Grandfather and from the 11 Deck of A Big Ship!! This Devastating Tragedy Could Have Been Easily Avoided Had The Grandfather Not Held The Toddler Out Of An Open Window On The 11 Deck? ((R I P)) (AMEN) Little One Having Died So Very Young You Hadn't Seen Any Life As Yet? This Does Really Make You Wonder If This Was A Tragic Accident Or Something Else? Especially In The Hands Of An Adult And Also The Toddler's Grandfather At That? Wish I Knew More But Just Have To Wait And See The Outcome Of The Police Investigations?

43 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

After reading the story my heart goes out to the family, and as unpopular as it is, I also really feel for the grandfather and his daughter.  We all know that there is a serious strain on that relationship.  Not to mention that he has to feel absolutely HORRIBLE, they all are definitely in my prayers!  Such an absolutely sad situation for all of them! 😢

This Tragedy could well have been avoided if the Grandfather hadn't have hung his Grandchild out of an open window on the 11 Deck? Don't know what he was thinking or anything like this? Don't Forget A Toddler Has Lost Their Life In This Very Very Tragic Accident That Could Have Been Avoided? ((R I P)) (AMEN) Night Night Little Star Sleep Tight.

47 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

8 hours ago, Ann Worth said:

This Tragedy could well have been avoided if the Grandfather hadn't have hung his Grandchild out of an open window on the 11 Deck? Don't know what he was thinking or anything like this? Don't Forget A Toddler Has Lost Their Life In This Very Very Tragic Accident That Could Have Been Avoided? ((R I P)) (AMEN) Night Night Little Star Sleep Tight.

I am not forgetting that a toddler has lost her life, and it is EXTREMELY tragic and is something that could have ABSOLUTELY been avoided if the grandfather would have exercised a little bit of God given common sense.  I work as a Paramedic/Firefighter as well as in the ER of  a local Level 2 trauma center, so I see people that make life altering bad decisions just about every day that I go to work.  The mother that had no idea about her son being in a gang and his life is ended at 16, the 86 year old woman that smokes while wearing oxygen and has a burn area above 30%, all from her chest up and has soot in her airway.  The mother that was speeding and drinking and ran off the road and hit a tree at highway speeds with her 4 year old that was unrestrained in the back seat.  I see not only  physical trauma but emotional trauma on a regular basis.  And seeing it so closely and so regularly I also am able to see it from the other side, and have some sympathy for the family, as well as the grandfather.  I am not saying that what grandpa did was right, what I am saying is that life as they know it has changed forever for every last single person in that family, and my heart goes out to every last single person in that family. 

42 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

I work as a Paramedic/Firefighter as well as in the ER of  a local Level 2 trauma center, so I see people that make life altering bad decisions just about every day that I go to work

Well said (the entire post) and thank you for all you do!

5 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

What? Why?...I don't even like to reach out to take a picture with my phone from those windows...why would you dangle a human?....:46_confounded:

I agree, I hate even holding my phone over the rail, I can see a breeze coming along or the ship rolling unexpectedly and my phone flying into the deep.  Couldn't imagine the poor horror of the child!