Take food off ship while in port?

1 hour ago, plasticmaster said:

I'm sailing on Harmony next week. While in port, is there any food I can take off the ship to eat while exploring the island? I'm thinking about sandwiches and other foods that are easy to carry.

As others have stated, you can't take anything that isn't prepackaged off the ship (e.g., chips/nuts/bars).  But many ports have "general stores" where you could pick up a sandwich before you hop on an excursion.   You just have to be able to backtrack to wherever your tour meets.

Am I the only one who pictures a guy walking off the ship in a white T, bathing suit, flip-flops eating a double cheeseburger from the Windjammer?

Seriously. My wife and I got married in Bermuda, the hassle we had getting luggage off the ship was amazing. Said luggage contained decorations, dresses, etc. Everyone was on top of their game, food, no way.

As stated, you'll find food in the port area to bring with you. You could do what we do ... stuff up at the Windjammer before disembarkation. :)

On 7/7/2019 at 7:52 PM, princevaliantus said:

If any port has dogs they will sniff it out, such as in San Juan, and it will be confiscated.  

Mexico also has Food sniffing dogs when get off ship. Would hate get caught, Large Fines! Need snacks just bring packaged items, always had them for my then young kids. And though rare over the yrs have seen about dozen passengers get bags inspected leaving ships. Not sure random or hit from something suspicious 

3 hours ago, MotleyCruiser said:

I have never seen anyone searched for food or the like while in port. Just bring some zip locks with you. Bringing items onboard is another issue.

That is actually a really good point, you just walk off (assume no tender) ... My situation was a bit unique as I was rolling off suitcases LOL!

On 7/7/2019 at 7:39 PM, plasticmaster said:

I'm sailing on Harmony next week. While in port, is there any food I can take off the ship to eat while exploring the island? I'm thinking about sandwiches and other foods that are easy to carry.

At some point we need to ask ourselves if we want to be the persons who follow the rules, which have a purpose, or we want to be the persons who flaunt them.  It is true that most rules, laws, and regulations are self-policing, and we can get away with almost anything.  But how many problems do we have today that can be traced back to a visible or invisible pest that accompanied a passenger or vessel into a new port?     I would ask that all of us vacation as good world citizens, and you can figure out for yourself what that means, once you understand the stated guidelines.  I have worked for the US Food Safety and Inspection Service, and I feel a moral obligation to comply...I will throw that out there for what it is worth.  I think most of us want to be good people, but we don't always understand the guidelines in every situation.  In this case RCI reminds us about the issues in taking food off the ship....

5 hours ago, MotleyCruiser said:

I have never seen anyone searched for food or the like while in port. Just bring some zip locks with you. Bringing items onboard is another issue.

• 1 month later...

I have done Caribbean cruises with Royal Caribbean and every port I’ve been too they have checked bags for fresh food and have  confiscated it - you can see a bin with them in. 

However, I don’t know if u can take soft drinks from the boat to the shops or beach 

does anyone know if soft drinks can be taken off boat 

On 7/9/2019 at 4:57 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Although I do understand, it's a bummer that one cannot pack some packaged snacks to take along for emergencies for diabetic family members. It isn't always that easy to find food quickly in port or on an excursion. ?

Factory sealed packaged items are ok, it's fresh food (ie, fruit, sandwiches, etc) that you are prohibited from bringing off the ship.  My younger DD has celiac, & we've always brought snacks for her -- gluten free protein bars, crackers, pretzels etc -- in case she can't easily buy something while we are in port -- just make sure the package is still sealed (ie, don't open & put in a baggie --ok to do if you open & eat on board, not ok to bring off.)

26 minutes ago, Bean-207 said:

I have done Caribbean cruises with Royal Caribbean and every port I’ve been too they have checked bags for fresh food and have  confiscated it - you can see a bin with them in. 

However, I don’t know if u can take soft drinks from the boat to the shops or beach 

does anyone know if soft drinks can be taken off boat 

You can definitely bring bottled (sealed) water off the ship, & probably a refillable water bottle -- you could probably bring a sealed soda can, but can't be positive about that.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:49 AM, MotleyCruiser said:

I have not seen anyone searched but I have seen dogs in several ports.  If they are indeed properly trained dogs they can easily smell through a ziplock.  As others have stated foods that have been processed and in a bag are  acceptable but fresh fruit and freshly prepared food are not allowed.  

No they wont take glucose tablets from diabetics.  Nor will they take most prepackaged snacks that are still in their original packaging (protein bars, pretzels, etc)  but zip lock baggies with cereal or fruit or a sandwich, etc, that's a nope.   I always keep a mini lara bar in my purse in case of getting hangry, and I've never had issues with the prepackaged snack in my purse.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:52 AM, bhageerah said:

I have not seen anyone searched but I have seen dogs in several ports.  If they are indeed properly trained dogs they can easily smell through a ziplock.  As others have stated foods that have been processed and in a bag are  acceptable but fresh fruit and freshly prepared food are not allowed.  

Funny you should say this. We were on Enchantment and in Cozumel on Saturday they had dogs out in full force