Coastal l Kitchen

KimS

So, got a suite for our anniversary & figured we’d probably eat dinner at The Coastal Kitchen, so many have said they’re much better than MDR , Windjammer & right there with the Specialty  Restraunt’s. But then read some thought the CK was just so-so.

Would love to get as many opinions to those who have been to them all! We don’t go til Aug.but trying to plan ahead. 

Thanks ahead for ANY help❣️   KimS 

@KimS, I can speak to Anthem and Freedom, if either one helps; only Anthem has a CK out of those two, but I did Chef's Table on Freedom so I figure it helps complete the picture. ?

I've dined in Wonderland, Izumi (Anthem's is sushi only, no hibachi), CK, MDR, and did Chef's Table once. Chef's Table blows everything away, and if you're doing a milestone anniversary sailing I can't recommend it enough. But, it's not cheap and not covered by any dining plan, so it's generally something you just once per cruise.

Wonderland and Izumi on Anthem were both good, but not stellar IMO. I was actually disappointed with the quality of the tuna when I went to Izumi, but it's possible that it's because I went on Day 4 of our sailing and the ship's stores were starting to get old. Were they worth the price of admission? I'd say yes for Wonderland since I bought it in the Cruise Planner and saved vs. buying on board, not so much for Izumi (though I will be having lunch there again, just will try something different).

CK was, IMO, better than both Wonderland and Izumi, and blew the MDR out of the water. A big thing to know about CK is that they have their own dedicated kitchen, and everything you order is actually cooked to order, not mass-cooked for the 20 or 30 people who ordered the same entree as you like in the MDR. Nothing sits under a heat lamp waiting for staff to pick it up, it's all delivered the moment it's plated.

So my ranking from best to worst (and worst is not bad by any stretch) is:

1. Chef's Table
  2. CK
  3. Wonderland
  4. Izumi
  5. MDR

My opinion of the Coastal Kitchen is that it is the environment and the service, if not necessarily the food, that makes it superior to the large scale venues like the MDR and/or WJ.  This is especially true on the Oasis class ships as the CK has such a spectacular view and ambiance.  The food is good...but not great, IMO.  On the Quantum class ships CK is not quite as impressive as it is smaller, darker and much less festive than on the O class, but still very good.  I will say, however, that the filet at the CK was the best on the ship, IMO.  I have found this to be true on both the Anthem and the Oasis class ships. If you are a steak lover, be sure you eat at the CK on the night that they serve the filet.  I have never had the rib eye, but have heard it is also very good.

The CK is much more sedate, quiet and enjoyable and that makes it so much more enjoyable.  For breakfast, you can't beat it.  The dinners are very good.  It is certainly a step up from the MDR, no doubt about that.

28 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My opinion of the Coastal Kitchen is that it is the environment and the service, if not necessarily the food, that makes it superior to the large scale venues like the MDR and/or WJ.  This is especially true on the Oasis class ships as the CK has such a spectacular view and ambiance.  The food is good...but not great, IMO.  On the Quantum class ships CK is not quite as impressive as it is smaller, darker and much less festive than on the O class, but still very good.  I will say, however, that the filet at the CK was the best on the ship, IMO.  I have found this to be true on both the Anthem and the Oasis class ships. If you are a steak lover, be sure you eat at the CK on the night that they serve the filet.  I have never had the rib eye, but have heard it is also very good.

The CK is much more sedate, quiet and enjoyable and that makes it so much more enjoyable.  For breakfast, you can't beat it.  The dinners are very good.  It is certainly a step up from the MDR, no doubt about that.

Do you have thoughts on the specialty restaurants, (Jamies, Chops, etc) versus Coastal?  

1 hour ago, 925inPA said:

Do you have thoughts on the specialty restaurants, (Jamies, Chops, etc) versus Coastal?  

We always enjoy the specialty restaurants.  Have we ever had a really bad meal at a specialty ?  Yes - Wonderland.  Have we ever had a really bad meal in the MDR ?  Yes.  Have we ever had a really bad meal in the CK ?  Yes.

That being said, we have had extraordinary meals in all 3, also.

Personally, I prefer Giovanni’s to Jamie’s (and Portofino’s....long gone, was better than any of them !).  We almost always have a very predictably good meal at Chops and have never been disappointed in Izumi.  We truly dislike Wonderland but absolutely love Hooked.

Just now, BB1 said:

Does anyone know how far in advance you can book your dinner reservations for Coastal Kitchen in the cruise planner? Thanks.

Often you can't.  Once in a while someone will have success where it seems to be bookable for a short spell before it isn't again.  

I've never been so lucky.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Often you can't.  Once in a while someone will have success where it seems to be bookable for a short spell before it isn't again.  

I've never been so lucky.  

I've had a horrible time trying to book Coastal, or most the time any Speciality restaurants.

Thanks to everyone for helping me decide❣️ I had reservations for the 2nd night ( our anniversary ) at Cho ups because we like lobster tails. Didn't want the big Maine lobster….. thinking the tails would be better? Maybe just used to getting the tails, easier! But….. now see that at Hooked you can get the Surf & Turf- lobster tail…. & gonna change to Hooked if possible, & ask for 2 tails instead of the filet & tail. Wish me luck as I wish all you guys luck making reservations! They really need to fix that in the site. 

Happy Cruising to all, KimS

PS: I'm sure I'll be asking more questions, lol……. ?

If you have a Grand suite or higher, the Concierge will email you the week before you leave. You can give them your requests and they will make the reservations for you. The only time Coastal Kitchen would be a problem is for dinner and you can tell them the times and days you want. I thought that it was also possible to make reservations yourself but according to Twangster, I was wrong. It might be a good idea to make the specialty restaurant reservations in advance yourself though since they will be cheaper and could fill up.

Thanks BB1!  I booked the Hooked restaurant to get the lobster tails 2, instead of the surf & turf— just gonna try to get 2 tails!  Yep, that Coastal Kitchen should be on their app. Think I’ll use that number to call to reserve Coastal, just to be safe ?           I even booked Flight & Hairspray on the 2 sea days, even though suites have reserved seats, saw they both were on at 3:30. Thanks for your advise ❣️??