RCI policy on Labadee Political Protest

Since I am fairly new to cruising, I am a little curious.  How does RCI react or compensate for their guests losing a port day?  I am sure they have some sort of policy in fine print somewhere, but does anyone know.  I am really curious about this since several of you will be on the Allure and Feb. and myself on the Allure in March.

I don't think you will need to worry about anything in Feb or March...this will be over long before then.

That being said, the only thing RCI would do is refund excursions you have booked. Other than that it would just turn into another day at sea.

Now I am guessing if this drags on longer than expected they may try to schedule a stop elsewhere instead.

But bottom line is you don't get anything for missing  a port day here.

I don't think you will need to worry about anything in Feb or March...this will be over long before then.

That being said, the only thing RCI would do is refund excursions you have booked. Other than that it would just turn into another day at sea.

Now I am guessing if this drags on longer than expected they may try to schedule a stop elsewhere instead.

But bottom line is you don't get anything for missing  a port day here.

RCI pays Haiti a tax on each person who visits Labadee, So I'm assuming a small refund of the port tax will show up on his/her seapass account for missing the port. 

Will be interesting to see if that happens and how much. Haven't gotten anything back when I have missed stops on previous cruises, but then again  Coco Cay is their own island. But don't they own Labadee?

Either way, the OP should not expect some kind of compensation from RCI as a result.

Will be interesting to see if that happens and how much. Haven't gotten anything back when I have missed stops on previous cruises, but then again  Coco Cay is their own island. But don't they own Labadee?

Either way, the OP should not expect some kind of compensation from RCI as a result.

Labadee is leased so is Coco Cay. I received a port tax refund on my seapass account for missing Grand Cayman it was only a couple of dollars. I don't know if RCI pays the Bahamas a head tax on passengers visiting Coco Cay.

You are correct on no compensation. They reserve the right to change the itinerary at any time.

Still, I'm very surprised to hear that they are offering any kind of compensation for missing Labadee.  That sort of sets a precedent and it's likely to happen over and over again for some time....plus there's the whole "fine print" issue that allows RCI to change the itinerary at any time.

I'd point out this is a cruise industry policy and there is not much RC can do about this, just like if a hurricane comes and prevents a ship from stopping at a port.  

I think RC is doing the right thing by skipping the port stop, but obviously guests are going to be disappointed.

When it comes to refunds, if RC does something on their part that could have been prevented (your stateroom wasn't ready, they overbooked the ship, cancelled something you booked accidentally, etc), then they should make things better.  

But when external factors that RC has no control over affect a sailing, I do not expect a refund if it is out of their control.  I wont be happy about it, but these kinds of things do happen.

Granted, it is always good PR if RC reaches out and offers something free (obc, drinks, etc) as something to make guests happier, but it is not something I expect or demand of RC either.

Just my two cents.

I agree with Matt.  I believe most of the "Code Adam" stuff that goes on at the Guest Services desk is of passengers who haven't cruised much and who really have their expectations set way too high. 

I believe more often than not the reality of if a refund is going to be given or for how much is just plain a question of who is willing to let their numbers be effected. Is it going to come out of corporates' budget or is it going to come out of the numbers of the excursion desk supervisor, dining room supervisor, or the hotel manager are supposed to come up with every voyage. In this case RCL Miami is funding whatever OBC is given out and rightly so..

I have a big question about the Labadee situation....What is RCL Miami doing??? Negotiating? Finding the the root of the discord? Easing tension and compromising? Building a bigger fence? Or, are they just waiting it out a little bit and hoping it all blows over? If they don't come out with a press release soon I'm afraid their strategy is "sit back and wait."

I hope they have sent down some representatives and are trying to work things out. Perhaps offering some passenger/public service assistance like Carnival does in the Dominican Republic. Integrating some more jobs would also say a lot. 

I had seen that..and they were informed they were getting a OBC as a result.

Interesting as you get NOTHING when you miss Coco Cay, so there is defn some different kind of a set up for Labadee.

It's possible that the Bahamas does not charge a tax or port fee for stops in Coco Cay, so there is nothing to be refunded to the passenger.  Haiti gets, I believe, $14 per passenger for ships that stop at Labadee, so that would be refunded since you didn't actually go there.

I have a big question about the Labadee situation....What is RCL Miami doing??? Negotiating? Finding the the root of the discord? Easing tension and compromising? Building a bigger fence? Or, are they just waiting it out a little bit and hoping it all blows over? If they don't come out with a press release soon I'm afraid their strategy is "sit back and wait."

I hope they have sent down some representatives and are trying to work things out. Perhaps offering some passenger/public service assistance like Carnival does in the Dominican Republic. Integrating some more jobs would also say a lot. 

I do not envy RC in this scenario.  They could bring in private security, but that would do more harm than good.  Festering a sense of resentment between locals and RC is definitely not a good long term strategy.

They could be deferring to the Haitians to deal with them, but that leaves the situation out of their hands.

They could try negotiating with the locals to hear them out but no guarantees that will do anything.  Heck, it could encourage more protests.

Or they could simply be monitoring the situation and hope this goes away.

No easy answers here.

I do not envy RC in this scenario.

They're certainly 'stuck between a rock and a hard place'.  

If this goes on long term, perhaps some ships could return to Samana in the Dominican Republic (I actually liked the port), or they could contract with Carnival or Norwegian (I'm having a brain phart, whomever built Amber Cove) to stop there as I think it's not too far from Labadee.

To Matt's point, it is nice when/if the cruise line does something, but if it is something out of their control then nothing is owed.  That in mind, if it is something our of their control that ends up say, shortening a vacation, and reducing RCCL's cost of that sailing (for example, a 7 night sailing turned 5 night sailing) then I think there is a different ethical obligation - even though I recognize that the line(s) lose big in this b/c they have less satisfied customers, had to refund money, and were not able to generate revenue during this period.

The Labadee issues aren't of this type.  They can hit another port and adjust port fees accordingly, or skip it all together.  The political situation is rough, because while it's easy to say that protesters are hurting their own economy, the level of corruption and graft is so great that I'm certain the citizens question how that $10-14 per pax actually impacts them, if at all.  It's a delicate situation in a nation that has political and social problems far beyond what we might conceive of, so while any of us might be bummed to miss out on a port, these are true 'first world problems' for us.  I truly hope, for their people, that they can work towards a better Haiti, without regard to the geographic location of my chair while I sip a mini-umbrella adorned iced drink.

I would think Royal has a contingency plan. This sort of thing had to be anticipated given that Labadee is part of Haiti and not an island off its coast. In addition, this has serious revenue implications for Royal as Labadee is a huge money maker for them compared to other ports. After all, they run everything from the bars to the excursions, so the money goes straight into their pockets; the same can't be said about other ports. In addition, private island experiences seem to be the most wanted thing on cruise itineraries according to traveler surveys; that's why every major cruise line out of Florida has one and why MSC is developing one at the expense of tens of millions of dollars.

This will be resolved in some way as Royal will suffer financially if it's not. Also, they've invested too much in Labadee to abandon it.

Knowing nothing about what RC's plans are, nor having any insight into what they are thinking, I will offer this bit of pure speculation: I could see RC having a "wait and see" policy for another week before opting to take action.

There is no doubt the best scenario is for this play itself out and protests to end without RC having to radically change up their planned itineraries. But I think (or at least hope) RC would see a point where they have to act rather than letting things linger until the last minute.

My wife an I were on the Navigator last week when it skipped Labadee.  The explanation Royal Caribbean was very vague and blamed it on political protests. They refunded us each $8.85, no alternate port, no OBC, nothing else, not as much as a free drink. Nothing but a rainy day at sea the following  day. I realize we signed the ticket giving them the authority to do whatever they wish, but we are very disappointed.  We had planned the zip line and beach for the day. The disappointment was multiplied when, upon our return,  we read the real truth about what was behind the protests. This cancelled port was not due to weather, or even the political reasons they stated in their letter to us. It fails directly on the situation Royal Caribbean created for themselves (See the article at Jim Walkers Cruise law). You may disagree with me, but I feel we should receive some compensation for the missed port.... a small OBC for future trips perhaps?  What ever happened to good customer service and keeping the customer happy?

My wife an I were on the Navigator last week when it skipped Labadee.  The explanation Royal Caribbean was very vague and blamed it on political protests. They refunded us each $8.85, no alternate port, no OBC, nothing else, not as much as a free drink. Nothing but a rainy day at sea the following  day. I realize we signed the ticket giving them the authority to do whatever they wish, but we are very disappointed.  We had planned the zip line and beach for the day. The disappointment was multiplied when, upon our return,  we read the real truth about what was behind the protests. This cancelled port was not due to weather, or even the political reasons they stated in their letter to us. It fails directly on the situation Royal Caribbean created for themselves (See the article at Jim Walkers Cruise law). You may disagree with me, but I feel we should receive some compensation for the missed port.... a small OBC for future trips perhaps?  What ever happened to good customer service and keeping the customer happy?

Thanks for the feedback.  I certainly understand your frustration and I would be frustrated too because I really love going to Labadee.

Keep in mind with Jim Walker he has an agenda, namely to earn a living by providing legal services to people who feel they were wronged by cruise lines.  Not saying Jim is 100% wrong (or right), but he is far from an unbiased source of information.

Hope you will not let this incident change how you cruise!

I just hope that if they have not resolved the Labadee dilemma before the Group cruise that they will PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE send us to Costa Maya as an alternate port.  Please do NOT send us to Belize.  I have heard discussion of Nassau, but I doubt that is a reasonable alternative port for a western Caribbean itinerary.  Maybe for eastern, but doubtfully for western.

Would it be practical to try and tender all of those pax at Belize ?  Hopefully not.  Costa Maya, please !

I just hope that if they have not resolved the Labadee dilemma before the Group cruise that they will PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE send us to Costa Maya as an alternate port. Please do NOT send us to Belize. I have heard discussion of Nassau, but I doubt that is a reasonable alternative port for a western Caribbean itinerary. Maybe for eastern, but doubtfully for western.

Would it be practical to try and tender all of those pax at Belize ? Hopefully not. Costa Maya, please !

The ship is too big for Belize and the tendering situation there, so I think you're safe.

Yeah, I do understand  the Jim Walker source.  I'm in no means Litigious, and have no plans that way,even if there was something there.  I was using that article as a reference only to show the untold side of the story that RCI has told. We did not let this issue linger and we did enjoy the rest of the cruise (from what I remember )  :)

Royal gets it right more often then they get it wrong, but sometimes they do drop the ball with communications. On one sailing, I had read rumors online about a port change and someone on our roll call even posted that the concierge had informed them of the change; however, we didn't get word until shortly before boarding. What made matters worse is that it was our first port stop, so it was difficult to plan anything and excursions were being cancelled by the ship left and right as they didn't get enough people to sign up in such a short amount of time.