Vkmom

Royal doesn't have a dress code.  They do have dress suggestions.

A sports coat or suit is not a requirement on formal nights.  Shorts are frowned upon and may results in denied MDR entry on formal nights but even that isn't cast in stone on all ships.  

Long pants and a collared shirt usually suffice.  Dress jeans usually are okay, ripped up jeans might even fly but no guarantees. 

For a teen business casual should suffice.

Correct, don't get the sport coat just for the cruise, but as your son ages he will want one eventually.  Our son had a growth spurt which dramatically changed his wardrobe.

I wear a sport coat myself (really a suit) as Formal night is supposed to be a step up from business casual, but as Twangster has noted, not every adult complies with the RCI guidelines.

I went from suit to sport coat to sometimes Khaki`s and a polo shirt.  He will be just fine.  You will be amazed at what you will see people wearing on formal nights. It will be a whole gamut of fashion.  From Tuxes and Gowns to you name it.  Our first cruise years ago this couple showed up on formal night at our table in work out shorts and tank tops.  We kid you not.  We are going on Anthem in Sept.  It is a great ship.  Enjoy the cruise  and welcome to the Blog.   

I think a lot of it depends on the particular cruise you are going on....

We have 3 upcoming cruises, one on NCL around Hawaii, one Caribbean, one 9 dayer  to Greek Isles.

The Hawaii cruise we are going to test the lower limits of the "dress code"....mainly Hawaii style tshirts, aloha shirts, jeans.

The Caribbean cruise we will lean a little heavy on the dress-em-up. It's my wife's birthday and Christmas. Maybe even a sport coat and TIE! We aren't flying so we can lug more clothes.

The Greek Isles cruise we will again pack light and test the low end of the "dress code"

This may change as the Activity Director dictates.....