Travel from Rome to Civitavecchia - Jewel of the seas

Eve

We are boarding the Jewel of the Seas on 1st September 2019 at Civitavecchia, Rome. We are staying in Rome for 2 nights before and will be making our way to the port on the day we sail. We have been quoted 130 euros by our hotel for transfer for 2 people, whereas the trains are approx 7 euros each. Can anyone advise how reliable the train service is in Rome on a Sunday or another reliable way to get to the port? We will also need to get back from the port to near Ciampino airport when the ship docks. Any assistance would be really appreciated ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Eve said:

We are boarding the Jewel of the Seas on 1st September 2019 at Civitavecchia, Rome. We are staying in Rome for 2 nights before and will be making our way to the port on the day we sail. We have been quoted 130 euros by our hotel for transfer for 2 people, whereas the trains are approx 7 euros each. Can anyone advise how reliable the train service is in Rome on a Sunday or another reliable way to get to the port? We will also need to get back from the port to near Ciampino airport when the ship docks. Any assistance would be really appreciated ?

Thanks

Three weeks ago I Took the train from Rome to the port.

The train is quite reliable , mind the 7 Euro one is the slow train that stops in many stations , you want to take the fast train which is 45 minutes .

Once you get into the Train station you will need to take your suitcase up the stress (not sure I saw elevator but I might missed it). From there you can or walk 15 minutes to the port or to take a 2 Euro bus from the train station to the port gate,

From the port gate you will take the internal free bus to the port.

I would take the early train so if any issues you can take the later train or even in the worse case scenario  a taxi. so the total cost for you will be  a taxi to the train station around 20 E depends were your hotel is located , around 24 for two people for the train tickets and extra 4 more E for the bus.

Just got back and we were a family of 6 and took a private transfer which was 170 Euros.  For 6 people that was well worth it, as they picked you up from your hotel, and dropped you off literally where you walk in and drop your luggage off.   Just depends on what you want to spend and if you are comfortable with the multiple walking and transfers by taking the train.

Been there and did that two years ago.  The train is cheaper and reliable.  We took a taxi as we had 4 suitcases and 2 carry on`s and a backpack.  No way were we going to attempt that on a train.  We get Euros from our local bank before we left and then when we were there got we  more out of an ATM.  Going back to Greece next year via  Rome. Love the culture.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 4:24 PM, Flacruiser99 said:

Trains & bus will require Euros, get them at an ATM at the airport when you arrive.

As a general rule anything you buy should be in Euros. If you get to choose between US and EU get Euros you get a better rate.

Also get an ATM card that pays for the fees. Fidelity Investment comes to mind.

Thanks didn’t know this.

For anyone that’s never been to Rome stick to a excursion tour. Either get an excursion with the cruise or on your own. 

Few things about Rome as a shore excursion  

Too much to see for the first timer. 

Distances are longer than you think. 

Termini is really big n confusing

Metro has two lines so you do a lot of walking  

Train strikes or slow downs are common 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:11 PM, Jose said:

Thanks didn’t know this.

For anyone that’s never been to Rome stick to a excursion tour. Either get an excursion with the cruise or on your own. 

Few things about Rome as a shore excursion  

Too much to see for the first timer. 

Distances are longer than you think. 

Termini is really big n confusing

Metro has two lines so you do a lot of walking  

Train strikes or slow downs are common 

I kinda disagree with this post. I have taken the train to Rome from the port many times. I found it easy to do but you have to do your homework.