taking your medications.....

How does everyone handle taking their medications with them?  I have several that I take and am not planning on bringing all of the original bottles.... would take up a lot of room!  I was thinking that I could get my script medication list from my doctor to bring with me... and then put my medications in a travel pill keeper...  does everyone do this?  I have always heard that you should have your original pill bottle with your name on it for prescription medications when you travel... but i know that  most people probably don't actually DO that.... right?  lol

Great question. I am a transplant recipient and take 12 different meds. I have a 2 week pill holder that I take preloaded with my meds. I always carry a printed list from my medical records of all my meds just in case I am questioned. I do carry my 2 main rejection meds in the original packs just in case. Those are my main meds that I can't do without. A couple other thoughts, I pack an emergency 2 day kit in a separate area just in case I am separated from my other meds. It gives me a window to get an express delivery just in case. Also I am going on a B2B cruise to SP and NZ, 24 nights total. I plan on having my doctor write a letter on official letterhead with a list of my needed meds and reason for them. hope this helps.

34 minutes ago, klc317 said:

We've never had any problems.   I just pack them in the daily container thing and keep in my carryon for flights and cruises.     Nobody has ever said a word and I travel alot.

I've never been questioned either.  I always just pack my daily pill box.  Jane

1 minute ago, Charri61 said:

That's a great idea about the list from your Dr.  I was wondering the same thing, space is limited so I was going to use a multi pill container too.

I also have access to my online account from my Dr ..if you have this you can screen shot it.  Jane

@kittysoul The MOST important advice I can give anyone is to take enough medication with you to last a week longer than when you are scheduled to be home. Stuff happens and I've heard many stories about delays, weather, etc. and people being stuck with no meds and no way to get them.

I don't take the original bottles, but I do take a picture of them with the date, my name, the med name and the dosage showing.

We carry the pills in a case similar to this (but we paid half the price in souvenir shops). It holds 8 days and zippers closed to prevent accidental opening.

Edited by Skid
Original link didn't work.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We use this. I don’t like the pill cases because we’ve dropped them and had them pop open and end up with pills everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027RWNN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

875A1526-067A-4E17-B9D0-8627F09B9B54.jpeg

This looks perfect !  Thanks so much..I'm ordering oneof these!

The only thing I would suggest, in addition to the list, is taking pictures of the actual labels with your phone. Also, I would strongly recommend that if any of them are controlled substances that you bring the original container. Also, if you don't want to bring big bottles, you can ask your pharmacy to give you extra labeled small bottles that will hold a 14 or do day supply.

Only controlled substance requires the original container especially if going to Europe.  Congrats on your successful procedure. The fact that your wife was the donor is a real blessing.  That is true love and then some.  We just switched to the pouch and it is real game changer.  No more lids popping open and pills everywhere.   

On 7/6/2019 at 3:47 PM, Skid said:

The MOST important advice I can give anyone is to take enough medication with you to last a week longer than when you are scheduled to be home. Stuff happens and I've heard many stories about delays, weather, etc. and people being stuck with no meds and no way to get them.

^This. We once took a land trip to New Orleans, our flight was canceled and had to stay another night. It took a lot of phone calls and a bit of Walgreens luck to get her the medicine she needed for that evening and next morning.

My wife uses a pill container and has never been questioned via TSA or boarding a cruise ship... Never an issue with customs either. Just keep them on your person, never check them or give them to a porter or anything.

Dan 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:11 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

We use this. I don’t like the pill cases because we’ve dropped them and had them pop open and end up with pills everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027RWNN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

875A1526-067A-4E17-B9D0-8627F09B9B54.jpeg

We have something similar for hubby's medicine.  I have copy of Rx receipts inside the pocket just in case.  We have never been questioned so far.  I don't take any controlled meds so we don't have to carry the original container. 

On 7/6/2019 at 5:03 PM, DRLPP said:

This August will be 21 years. My wife was my donor. Our miracle.

I love this. My uncle was the donor for my aunt 10 years ago. He died of unrelated causes but my aunt is still with us. We loved the fact that they were a match since no one on her side was an acceptable match. Bless you both.

Sept 28th marks my 20th Cruise with Royal and I have only been asked about the medication I was taking once.  Granted it was OxyContin and I did have the original bottle.  If I had more pills than the prescription said should be in the bottle I would have been arrested but luck would have it that I only took what was needed for the two week trip(No pun intended).  Soooo...   Even if you have the original bottle,  make sure that you only take the amount listed on the label.  if you need additional amounts do not combine them into a single bottle with less quantity listed than you have pills.  I am also using an insulin pump and get more hassle at TSA and RCC when going thru the scanners than I ever have about other medications.

8 minutes ago, BigKarl said:

Soooo...   Even if you have the original bottle,  make sure that you only take the amount listed on the label.  if you need additional amounts do not combine them into a single bottle with less quantity listed than you have pills.

Thank you for this great tip.