Costa Maya Recommendation

tdcackler

We are stopping at Costa Maya in February and it looks like most excursions are either beach or Mayan ruins. Our beach day is in Cozumel (thanks Matt for the recommendation of Nochi Coccum) and we want to see sloths in Roatan. What are some ideas for Costa Maya that I'm not seeing?

Some people just take the tram to the village, look at the shops, have a nice lunch, and then cab back to the port (where there is additional shopping).  We are going to try the Ochben Kah raft trip, which is at the top of Lake Bacalar.  The eco-park is supposed to be relaxing, and there are private excursions throughout the Lake Bacalar region.

HI tdcackler, we had an excellent adult day in Costa Maya at the ocean bar called Tropicante. We emailed ahead of time and reserved the type of chairs & arranged shuttle to($8 each way) and fro. Chaise loungers under a tarp like structure or  sit down table for four... or both, front ocean view or back a row under palm trees. Keep in mind, that the whole island has a brown seaweed, this area did a really good job of raking and keeping the smell away. There was a net set up in the water about 100 yards out that kept most the icky seaweed out from the "swimming " area(about maybe 4 feet deep). The restaurant ?bar had EXCELLENT service (Ivan Mr Clean pic below with pail of beer), brought a table to you for your food and placed it in the water or wherever you wanted, dug in an umbrella for you. Continuously brought iced pail's of bottled water or beer & freeze drinks. Tropicante staff arranged for guides if we wanted to snorkel, or do a banana boat. There was an okay for Mexico bathroom, toilet flushed and had running water soap and towels.  We ate and none of us got sick!!!. The port was super huge and cool and I felt secure, lots of shops, clean bathroom and food area, live flamingos and parrots. The port was gated and even coming back into the port, security stopped our taxi and required a seapass to enter. 

P6211429.JPG

P6211311.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

We attempted maya Chan last month but the seaweed was so bad we couldn’t stay.  It was mounded up a couple feet high all along the shore which made it impossible to swim.  We hated leaving because they were working their tails off but it was just too much for them to handle.  Our noses never acclimated to the smell after 30 minutes.  Had kids with us so without the ocean and only a small pool,  it was going to be a challenge keeping them happy.  I hear the seaweed situation changes by the day so maybe we caught a bad day.  And with you going in February it could be completely different.  Would definitely visit again it conditions improved.  Also, they refunded our money immediately, as promised and with no hassle, so no harm checking them out. 

On 7/4/2019 at 2:36 PM, tdcackler said:

We are stopping at Costa Maya in February and it looks like most excursions are either beach or Mayan ruins. Our beach day is in Cozumel (thanks Matt for the recommendation of Nochi Coccum) and we want to see sloths in Roatan. What are some ideas for Costa Maya that I'm not seeing?

9 hours ago, mrp4352 said:

I enjoyed the aviary in the port area. It's raised above so there's a lovely breeze and connected by suspended bridges. I want to say it was $15-$20/adult and I spent almost an hour in there. Part of the time was spent watching the dolphin pool that's available in port.

We were gonna check out the ruins, but the port itself looked pretty nice, so as of now we’re just going to the Port! ( Aug. ) Check it out on YouTube .