Deluxe Beverage & Dining packages

Hi,

I am cruising for the first time on Allure in a few weeks so need to make some plans. I have the Deluxe Beverage package as we like soft drinks and coffee along with the usual alcohol, if I book the specialty dining are drinks include in the specialty restaurants.

Also, trying to figure out if the 3 night dining package is worth buying. I know food is included in general package anyway but is it good or do I really need to look at booking a package. Any help or tips much appreciated 

Fergie  

18 minutes ago, Hinodrinker said:

Hi,

I am cruising for the first time on Allure in a few weeks so need to make some plans. I have the Deluxe Beverage package as we like soft drinks and coffee along with the usual alcohol, if I book the specialty dining are drinks include in the specialty restaurants.

Also, trying to figure out if the 3 night dining package is worth buying. I know food is included in general package anyway but is it good or do I really need to look at booking a package. Any help or tips much appreciated 

Fergie  

Drinks will be included up to a certain dollar amount (usually $12) because you have the DBP.  If you decide to drop the DBP, the alcoholic beverages in the specialty dining will be a full charge.  If you ask me, on a 3N cruise, the DBP is usually worth it for myself.  Once it gets longer such as a 7N cruise, it's hard for me to make it worth it financially though many argue that the ease of it and not getting stuck with a bill at the end is worth it to them.  It's different for everyone.

36 minutes ago, Hinodrinker said:

Hi,

Fergie  

The food in the Main Dining Room (MDR) is generally good, and over a week's cruise you'll see fish, duck, lobster tail, pork, lamb, etc.  There are some items that just aren't the same as they are at home, like the Baked Alaska, if that is ever offered.  I have eaten at specialty restaurants and will tell you it is different but not really better.  I've had undercooked pasta and so-so steaks, but I loved Sabra's on the Harmony for the sake of variety.  In any restaurant, if you feel hungry, ask for more food.  The ambience in the specialty restaurants varies, but I find it far from romantic, so I generally stick to the MDR for dinner.  You can order steak and lobster from the specialty restaurants and eat them in the MDR for an "upcharge" which is listed on the menu.  That is another option to consider.

When you can afford suites, you'll hear everything is a step up, and I yield to others to comment on Coastal Kitchen, etc.

HI HinoDrinker, we did our once in a lifetime cruise on HOTS. I am a non drinker & Hubby cocktails it. Each one of our drink packages was covered on ship anywhere and on CocoCay. (wrist band was super useful and convenient). Pre Cruise, I kept watch on the daily planner for dinner package that suited us( $$), none did so we saved the $ to decide when we got on the ship. I really only wanted to make sure I tried atleast one  Specialty Restaurant. I did not know that AAA as my agent, there was an INCLUDED paid for Specialty lunch AND then, with my type of room I also had an INCLUDED  Specialty dinner or lunch I had to use within in 2 days. So it turned out perfect for us to NOT have to pay RC another dime.  I should mention that  I was ill from when we book to when we sailed & just started back to eating food so even though I am a foodie, my eyes were bigger than my tummy. We really had NOTHING bad to say about the food in MDR, I read mixed reviews and was waiting for sub par or ucky looking salad bars every day. We were so surprised on the  GREAT variety salads  & the interesting menu items. Yes the menu was small, but very nice choices and just ask for two is your that hungry and want to try something else, so you have a secondary entree if not what you like.  Only one inc"included" meal not so good, so we skipped that place the rest of the cruise. Also, FYI  my friend had the same type of room, even though she had THREE people in the room, the "free "Specialty meal is ONLY for TWO people++ so the cost was $50 to pay for her third person. NO issue, just wanted to mention so no surprises since everything for first timers is. Oh, any "special" or very unique drink that was "above" an average cost, was billed to your seapass, stated on the menu with "$". For instance a special. made by table side Martini concoction  at Jamies, was an extra $4 bucks.    Hubby had maybe THREE cool type of drinks we had to pay above and beyond, that total was only $15 total the whole cruise. 

You will find many different answers to your questions.  First of all, alcohol is included at the specially restaurants if you have the drink pkg (your PKG pays for the drinks)...if you don't have it, you will pay extra for sodas and alcohol.  

We love doing the specialties... Not enough to get the udp, but we almost always get a pkg.  I find the mdr hit or miss, but I can always find something there or at the windjammer.  I like the  specialties for variety and because we enjoy them.  We like the atmosphere and have had a couple "romantic" dinners. We have also done chefs table in freedom and adventure which was amazing!!!   

So I would think about what you like to do and decide if it's worth it for you personally.  The pkgs definitely offer savings vs buying individually but you can always pick just one restaurant to try and see if you like specialty.  Hope this helps.  Jane