Tipping porters at Port Everglades

kirby

I have experimented with this.... The results of what I found were either quite astounding or pure coincidence.  I will go with that it was not coincidence.  I do believe that the porters have full control of where they place your bag which will also determine how fast it gets on the ship and therefore how fast it at your room.  I have given the standard 5-10$ many times in the past, and had my bags delivered at what I thought was a reasonable time.  Nothing special but not after dinner or anything.  On my last 3 cruises I have given 25$.  10$ for each suitcase and $5 for the garment sky roll.  Guess what.... each time... bags were already not only delivered when the staterooms were released, but put right inside the room!  You can't tell me that is coincidence!  Or maybe i'm just crazy haha.  But yeah.... I'm in the mindset of tipping a bit more gets your bags extra attention.  

I have experimented with this.... The results of what I found were either quite astounding or pure coincidence.  I will go with that it was not coincidence.  I do believe that the porters have full control of where they place your bag which will also determine how fast it gets on the ship and therefore how fast it at your room.  I have given the standard 5-10$ many times in the past, and had my bags delivered at what I thought was a reasonable time.  Nothing special but not after dinner or anything.  On my last 3 cruises I have given 25$.  10$ for each suitcase and $5 for the garment sky roll.  Guess what.... each time... bags were already not only delivered when the staterooms were released, but put right inside the room!  You can't tell me that is coincidence!  Or maybe i'm just crazy haha.  But yeah.... I'm in the mindset of tipping a bit more gets your bags extra attention.  

Haha interesting observations. I could see it being a coincidence or there being something to it.  We'd need a more scientific approach: a few people tip normally, a few people over tip and see how it plays out.

Last week at Port Everglades, terminal 18, my taxi driver pulled my 2 checked luggages out of the trunk and also my 2 carry on. 

The porter stood on the curb watching him do all the work. So I tipped the taxi driver 5$ and gave 2$ to the porter. 

My luggage were at my stateroom door in early after noon, so... 

And since were in the tipping topic, I tipped the beach waiter at Labadee (the one that walks around with Labadoozie souvenir cup) last week.

He promise to come back and "check on me" but I never saw him again !? So much for tipping....

Haha interesting observations. I could see it being a coincidence or there being something to it.  We'd need a more scientific approach: a few people tip normally, a few people over tip and see how it plays out.

Sadly I won't be able to over-tip until April on the Empress.   :(  I'm not sure that would be 100% scientific though, as it is a lil baby ship, so who knows of that would change things as far as how they get bags to your rooms ect.  Much less passengers= much less bags.  BUT.... also much smaller crew.  Should be interesting... still skeptical about such a small ship.  Voyager is my previous smallest.  I will let you know my purely scientific research when we get back haha.   :P