Disembarkation Day

Usually at what time is everyone off the ship?  And how chaotic is it to get a taxi or an Uber?  Just wanted to know the time since our flight doesn’t leave until 7:20pm and wanted to see if it’s worth getting a hotel room just to relax if it’s going to be more than 6 hours of waiting around. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kelly N said:

Usually at what time is everyone off the ship?  And how chaotic is it to get a taxi or an Uber?  Just wanted to know the time since our flight doesn’t leave until 7:20pm and wanted to see if it’s worth getting a hotel room just to relax if it’s going to be more than 6 hours of waiting around. Thanks!

You will be asked to leave your room no later than 8:30 and leave the ship no later than 9-10 am (most of the time 9 , 9:30) its depends on the ship and the port.
In Europe you will see offer to stay a while program which will allow you to stay until 2 or 3 PM (outside of the room that you will need to leave at 8:30 am) . Taxi is quite easy to get , but again depends which port.

2 hours ago, Kelly N said:

I found on our last trip to fort Lauderdale that the taxi was easy and there was a huge Uber line.  We probably paid double to Uber, but it was easy.

On the trip before in Miami, we had a 9pm flight.  We did resort for a day and it was a great choice!  We got off the ship early by 9, taxied to the resort, and had a great day by the beach and the pool!  Jane

10 hours ago, Kelly N said:

I agree with the others.  Remember your disembarkation day is embarkation day for the next cruise and no one can board until they have cleared the ship of all the previous passengers.  (Yes, exceptions are possible in Europe)  You will have plenty of hours to kill but you might find someplace to simply store your bags and explore the city rather than getting a hotel room.

Our ship (Explorer of the Seas) has an itinerary (10 day Greek Island Cruise) showing the ship arrives at port (CIVITAVECCHIA - Rome) at 5 am. 

We are having trouble deciding if we can easily make a 11 am or Noon departure from the Rome (FCO) airport or if we need to stay in a hotel and take a flight out the next morning. 

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts. 

Dan1

If you walk off with your luggage at the designated time (first thing after clearance), you will be able to get to the airport in time, although I'd prefer noon to 11 AM myself).  Also, there may be an excursion (a drive through the countryside) that drops you off at the airport, although they typically indicate that you must have a particular flight time.  Normally, a few days before the cruise ends you are given a form that asks when you plan to disembark, and your stateroom attendant needs to know if you are carrying off your luggage.   Since there can be long lines waiting for ground transportation, you might consider pre-booking a transfer to the airport with a 3rd party or with RCI.  The disadvantage of RCI is that they wait until the bus is filled up, so you'd want to verify the departure time.

12 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Dan1

If you walk off with your luggage at the designated time (first thing after clearance), you will be able to get to the airport in time, although I'd prefer noon to 11 AM myself).  Also, there may be an excursion (a drive through the countryside) that drops you off at the airport, although they typically indicate that you must have a particular flight time.  Normally, a few days before the cruise ends you are given a form that asks when you plan to disembark, and your stateroom attendant needs to know if you are carrying off your luggage.   Since there can be long lines waiting for ground transportation, you might consider pre-booking a transfer to the airport with a 3rd party or with RCI.  The disadvantage of RCI is that they wait until the bus is filled up, so you'd want to verify the departure time.

12 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

IF you are able to disembark by say 6 a.m. I would say you should be to the airport by 7 and thru security at the worst 1-2 hours.  What day of the week?  The big question is will the ship actually dock at 5 a.m. and what time do you actually get off.

Thank you both very much. 

Our cruise ends on a Friday. We are traveling back to the States so can’t afford to miss the flight. 

We are at Naples the day before (Thursday) the cruise ends. 

The docking time and the departure time are not the same time In the US the border patrol people (I am sure there is an official name but it eludes me) needs to be in place and ready to process passengers through security. From my experience that can be 1.5-2 hours before debarkation even starts and that is for the passengers that are self assist. We haven't had the pleasure of a European cruise yet but I would guess that is standard practice around the world.

Something else to consider in your timing.......Google says this about the drive from Port to Airport:

60 km

GETTING TO THE PORT OF CIVITAVECCHIA FROM ROME AIRPORTS
It is located only 60 km from the port of Civitavecchia; it is a drive of 50 minutes by car the distance from Rome airport to Civitavecchia Port