Venice shore excursions

Hi I have just booked a 7 night Greek islands cruise from Venice next year travelling in May 2020 on Rhapsody. Booked it primarily because of the itinerary as I have never been to Venice and some of the other stops on the cruise. We fly in and out on the day of sailing/disembarkation arriving at 12pm in the afternoon with the ship sailing at 5pm. We don’t have any time going home between disembarking and our flight home but would really like to see some of Venice. I have 2 questions for anyone that can help. 

1. RCCL are not doing any shore excursions for our arrival day. What is the latest we can get on the ship if we arrange our own? 

2. If you get on the ship on boarding day can you get off and back on again before sailing time? 

Any suggestions to see some of Venice much appreciated

David. 

51 minutes ago, David Bennett said:

Hi I have just booked a 7 night Greek islands cruise from Venice next year travelling in May 2020 on Rhapsody. Booked it primarily because of the itinerary as I have never been to Venice and some of the other stops on the cruise. We fly in and out on the day of sailing/disembarkation arriving at 12pm in the afternoon with the ship sailing at 5pm. We don’t have any time going home between disembarking and our flight home but would really like to see some of Venice. I have 2 questions for anyone that can help. 

1. RCCL are not doing any shore excursions for our arrival day. What is the latest we can get on the ship if we arrange our own? 

2. If you get on the ship on boarding day can you get off and back on again before sailing time? 

Any suggestions to see some of Venice much appreciated

David. 

We will be taking that exact cruise Oct 2020. 

Getting in the same day and only 5 hrs before sailing is cutting it too close, at least for my liking. I wouldn't take the chance of something being delayed in the tour and getting back to the ship late. 

I've looked at a lot of tours online at Viator tours. It's owned by TripAdvisor and have a lot of tour options. They have some one hour cruises on the Grand Canal that might be an option. You'd have to look at times though.

I don't know about checking in and not boarding right away. I'm sure somebody here knows the answer. @Matt

Good luck and happy cruising!