How much is Chops Grille?

tredin18

Thanks for the replies. So is Chops 30.00 per person for anything on the menu and as much as you want to eat?

The price seems to vary by ship. It's in the $35-40 range before any discounts. You can only order one entree, but can have as many as the appetizers and sides that you want.

• 5 weeks later...

On the questions section of the blog under menus, I noticed for Chops that it lists a bunch of entrees with no prices, then under "dry aged selections" it list a few others, with prices of $18 and $19, etc.  Does that mean if you order those, that you have to pay that additional price, in addition to your specialty dining fee?  Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am new to RC, have only been on Disney cruises, and in their specialty places you can order whatever you want on the entire menu with no additional added fee.

Yea, I will have to research a bit more.  Lots of places advertise "dry aged steak" and it isn't true dry aged steak.  In your top tier steakhouses that do true dry aging and specialize in it (Peter Luger's, etc.), the difference is unbelievable and worth every penny.  I would be suspect on a cruise ship, and in thinking about it, an upcharge of $50 for one meal is a lot.

Kind of on the same topic, again, being new to RC, what is the best way to go about determining which days to make reservations in the specialty places?  I am doing an 8 night cruise on Freedom, planning on having 3 specialty meals.  I have been told that certain nights in the MDR they have nicer offerings, lobster tails, etc.  Obviously wouldn't want to miss those, don't want to miss formal nights, etc.  If menus are not released ahead of time but you are supposed to reserve specialty's ahead of time, is it just go with it and hope for the best?  Or attempt to change reservations once you board and see what is happening in MDR?  Thank you for any input.   

You can look at copies of compasses from any prior sailings that the ship did on that itinerary and you will (probably) get the same menu order on your sailing. There can be changes though so its not guaranteed.

Apart from that take your best guess and try to make it work on board. I have never actually asked but I think you could probably get someone to tell you the menu order for the cruise once you are on board (I know a couple of times our waiter has talked about future night menus, so my guess is they know ahead of time).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm late to the  discussion, but based solely on my one experience with Chops aboard Oasis I'd say it's well worth the price.

So while I don't really have a lot of experience with Chops I can say that as a strict beefatarian the steaks at Chops were excellent and the sauces awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably in the minority, but my wife and I have never had a good experience at Chops.  I ordered a dry aged steak the last time I was at Chops, and was very disappointed.  I'd recommend sticking with their filet and saving the extra $$$ for a drink somewhere.  

I'm with you on this one, it's just an average dinner IMO.  

I've always felt food is such a subjective thing to rate.  We can probably list our favorite foods of all time and I guarantee there are things on your list I cannot stand (tuna fish from a can, yuck!) and vice versa.

Doesn't mean either of us are wrong.  

What I like about Chops is its upscale feel and quality service. If the steaks aren't to your liking, try some of the other dishes. I tried their tuna on my Brilliance of the Seas visit and it was a great alternative.

If all else fails, that's why there are other specialty restaurants too! :P

I was not impressed with Chops the first time I went, but neither was my wife; however, my son loved it.  She had ordered the fish and I had order the NY Strip and both were just okay.  On a second visit, we both went with the fillets and this changed our opinion of Chops.  I do think they need to work on their desserts, however.  I know many are fans of the red velvet cake, but it was pretty poor on the Liberty.