4th of July Sale question

I know there was some sale fiasco earlier this week.  That was never available in my planner for my Jan 2020 sailing.

I did however get an email from RC about a 4th of July sale starting 7/2. BOGO 50% off drink packages / dining packages. 25% off select excursions etc...

However NOTHING is showing up lower at all or even marked as on sale. Is there just a glitch going?  I have been waiting for a sale to happen for my sailing so i could buy a few things, it finally shows up but doesnt at the same time.

The sale always seem to reference the price if you were to purchase on-board. I've received numerous "time limited" sales, BOGO at 50% off etc, and it's basically BS. They claim they take 25% off each person rather than show one at full and 2nd at 50% off. In the past I've waited for the "sale" to end and noticed my price remains the same. In some countries that's fraudulent advertising and illegal but in the US it's caveat emptor. To me it's shady at best. 

Except for the $18 pricing two days ago (which I did buy-we'll see how it goes), the price for the DBP for my March 2020 sailing has remained at $57 since I booked it several months ago.  Sometimes the $57 has just been the price.  Once the $57 was a 20% off sale and now the same $57 is showing as Buy One, Get One 50% off.  The price has not changed-just whether or not it was a "sale" and the percentage of the "sale".    The excursion that I was looking at actually increased by $5 with the July 4th sale.  It makes no sense to me.  I just check frequently and buy when I see what appears to be a fair price.

My planner doesn't even have the words sale on it at all though. Literally there is nothing on any page that is any different price wise or wording wise. The email does say there is a sale going on though.

I'm guessing that $18 thing threw them for a loop and they just reverted all the pricing back to normal until they straightened it out.

I sent an email to RC stating the issue, nothing but the automated response back as of now.

1 hour ago, Voltore said:

The sale always seem to reference the price if you were to purchase on-board. I've received numerous "time limited" sales, BOGO at 50% off etc, and it's basically BS. They claim they take 25% off each person rather than show one at full and 2nd at 50% off. In the past I've waited for the "sale" to end and noticed my price remains the same. In some countries that's fraudulent advertising and illegal but in the US it's caveat emptor. To me it's shady at best. 

Agree that the reference point  seems to be on-board prices.  however, I can report that for excursions, there is a difference between a "sale" price and the normal pre-cruise online price.  For me it has typically been 10%.  I also saw that with some  packages, like wifi or wifi+soda. 

But it is true one doesn't need to "rush" to book stuff pre-cruise, there will be more than one opportunity to get a reduced online price.  For a family with $700-1000 in excursions, that 10% can be really money.

My wife just finished a cruise (6/23) with friends and there were pre-cruise specials 90 days out that were good discounts but they did not stay for long. The closer to cruise date, the less the discount and the popular excursions seemed to "disappear" from the discount list. Have next cruise in mid-October taking oldest son and family and we booked all excursions two weeks ago with good discounts and now they have disappeared from the list of "discounted" excursions. Thank goodness we pulled the trigger when we did. On wife's trip, the excursion she bought was more than $20 more per person on-board.

Follow up with mid-October cruise. The wife in a separate email today (we always do that to bounce off discounts) received notice that one of our booked excursions was less than what I booked. When I used the website to re-book, it refused to work so I called RCCL directly. The person was very nice and agreed that the price had dropped and re-booked it for me over the phone. Always pays to look at excursions in different directions. The booked excursion still does not show up when I log in but it is still there for others. Do not get me wrong, RCCL is great and our preferred line (we have 15 cruises in 5 years with multiple lines) but the website does have some quirks.