Port of Miami Info ??'s

Adam P.

Hello All,

I happen to be sailing out of the port of Miami for the first time coming up on April 7th-16th on the Empress. I have sailed out of Port Everglades many times but never from Miami.  We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale of course still.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the best places to stay the night before?  Is it better to try and get some place down in Miami?  Or stay in Ft. Lauderdale?  Also, anyone have any preferences of transfer services from FLL and MIA.  From the hotel down there and then back to the airport following the cruise.  Any input would be greatly appreciated as I know many of you are quite the bundles of knowledge when it comes to anything cruise related  :) THANKS!!

Adam

If you're not looking to do anything in Miami, I'd be inclined to stay in Fort Lauderdale.  It's (generally speaking) a bit less hectic and has just as many hotel options at what you may find to be better prices (comparing apples to apples).  That in mind, it looks like that sailing leaves on a Thursday, so the if you do stay in Fort Lauderdale just know that the traffic going to Port of Miami can get pretty insane during rush hour.  Also know that it isn't a cheap cab ride from FLL to downtown/port area in Miami.  I'd guess around $75.

If you're not looking to do anything in Miami, I'd be inclined to stay in Fort Lauderdale.  It's (generally speaking) a bit less hectic and has just as many hotel options at what you may find to be better prices (comparing apples to apples).  That in mind, it looks like that sailing leaves on a Thursday, so the if you do stay in Fort Lauderdale just know that the traffic going to Port of Miami can get pretty insane during rush hour.  Also know that it isn't a cheap cab ride from FLL to downtown/port area in Miami.  I'd guess around $75.

Somewhat more or less what I was thinking.... Staying in FT Lauderdale might be less stressful.  I would assume we would be headed down there In the morning but around 10am maybe?  Is the morning rush hour over by then?  I was also hoping to find some sort of transfer that would take us from the hotel to the port and then back to FLL after the cruise.  Any thoughts on anything besides cabs?  I have used KSA before with no issues but that was never to Miami.  And they seem to have more bad reviews than anything haha.... Anyways, i really appreciate your input as it appears you live in the area.  So lucky!  It is -6 here.  Is it April yet?? lol

I would stay in FLL area.  Find a hotel close to the Tri-rail train station or take a cab to the closest Tri-rail station.  It runs to the Miami airport where you can catch the metrorail or cab out toward the port.  It is cheaper and you don't have to worry about traffic.

I would stay in FLL area.  Find a hotel close to the Tri-rail train station or take a cab to the closest Tri-rail station.  It runs to the Miami airport where you can catch the metrorail or cab out toward the port.  It is cheaper and you don't have to worry about traffic.

Awesome, thank you for that info!

I stayed once at the Doubletree by Hilton in downtown Miami the night before a cruise. The hotel was fine, the location was great. It is very close to both the airport and the port of Miami. It didn't take more than 15 minutes to get from airport to hotel, or hotel to cruise port( not during rush hour of course). Very easy.

eric reeves

Somewhat more or less what I was thinking.... Staying in FT Lauderdale might be less stressful.  I would assume we would be headed down there In the morning but around 10am maybe?  Is the morning rush hour over by then?  I was also hoping to find some sort of transfer that would take us from the hotel to the port and then back to FLL after the cruise.  Any thoughts on anything besides cabs?  I have used KSA before with no issues but that was never to Miami.  And they seem to have more bad reviews than anything haha.... Anyways, i really appreciate your input as it appears you live in the area.  So lucky!  It is -6 here.  Is it April yet?? lol

Sorry for the delayed response.  By 1000 the morning rush hour is indeed over.  Traffic can still be nutty, but not nearly as bad.  

I can't really make any recommendations for transfers except to say that Uber is available in South Florida (including to and from air and sea ports) and frequently when traveling, depending on the distance and number of passengers, it seems limo services can offer great value.

BH

(current 71F in South Florida)

Sorry for the delayed response.  By 1000 the morning rush hour is indeed over.  Traffic can still be nutty, but not nearly as bad.  

I can't really make any recommendations for transfers except to say that Uber is available in South Florida (including to and from air and sea ports) and frequently when traveling, depending on the distance and number of passengers, it seems limo services can offer great value.

BH

(current 71F in South Florida)

SO jealous.... although we are experiencing a heat wave at the moment.  19 currently!  Time to whip out the shorts!.  JKJK.  Man I hate winter!  Thankful for my countdown to cruise in My Cruises.  What gets us through it haha.  75 days.... tick tock tick tock.....Time goes so slowly.  Until you are on the ship of course!  Thank you for the info.. I have used uber many times in chicago.  Great service.  Believe it or not we have it here in Green Bay too.  Snowmobiles.  Again.. jk  Any idea how much it would be from Port to FLL?