Random Questions

Hey everyone, 

Tomorrow is the month of our Cruise and we're making the final preparations.

A few questions that came up that I wanted to get some feedback on:

-Can you take full size bottles of toiletries like hairspray, lotion, bodyspray, etc? Or does it have to be travel sized items?

-Is there shampoo & soap in the bathrooms like you would find at any hotel?

-Does anyone recommend using a lanyard to carry your sea pass card? Pros/cons of this?  

Thanks in advance! I may have more questions as we get closer to our sail date!

23 minutes ago, emsff02 said:

Yes, you can take full size items. There are hotel size toiletries in the bathrooms. I have not used a lanyard. I just keep my seapass in my pocket and have not had any issues.

On many ships the showers have the pump attached to the wall that dispenses body wash/shampoo.  I usually bring my own since it's adequate but not great.  I've never seen travel size bottles in a regular stateroom... Just in the suites.

I always use a lanyard since I don't usually have pockets.  However I have always been on ships that you can punch the card.  I believe you can't punch it on Harmony and symphony and this you would have to use the little plastic pouch at the end of the lanyard.  That is a definite pain and I would not use a lanyard in that case.  It is totally personal preference though!  Jane

The bathroom has a "conditioning shampoo" and a bar of soap.  I think they figure most people are bringing their own favorite brand so they don't try to impress with brand name offerings except in suites on certain classes of ships.  

Once you reach higher in the Crown and Anchor society you are supposed to get upgraded bathroom amenities but even that is hit and mostly miss. 

Bring your own, whatever size you feel like carrying in your luggage.

I personally bring smaller bottles from home of my own, but there is a combo shampoo/conditioner and a bar of soap.  Depending on how you are traveling to the port, that may affect things, like the 3oz. in carry-on if flying, but you can put any size you want in your checked luggage.  But, yes, you can bring what you want as far as toiletries are concerned.  On our last cruise in December I brought too small of a bottle of shampoo and just used what was in the pump dispenser in the shower and it was fine for me.  I'm only picky about the toiletries I use AFTER a shower, lotions/hair products/etc.

I have used a lanyard.  On one cruise I bought one at the port after we checked in.  On another cruise I just carried it with me (if I had a pocket) and/or had Spouse carry it for me.  On our last cruise, I used a couple different pretty ones that look like necklaces from the line of jewelry I sell.   I definitely liked carrying my own card better at times because Spouse and I got separated couple of times (he went to the main pool, I stayed in the Solarium and wanted a drink from the bar).

9 hours ago, spursfreak21 said:

Hey everyone, 

Tomorrow is the month of our Cruise and we're making the final preparations.

A few questions that came up that I wanted to get some feedback on:

-Can you take full size bottles of toiletries like hairspray, lotion, bodyspray, etc? Or does it have to be travel sized items?

-Is there shampoo & soap in the bathrooms like you would find at any hotel?

-Does anyone recommend using a lanyard to carry your sea pass card? Pros/cons of this?  

Thanks in advance! I may have more questions as we get closer to our sail date!

I think the shampoo questions have been answered.  I recommend you invest in a water-proof lanyard, phone size, which has been discussed on other posts.  The reason is that there are times you want to go into the water (e.g., on excursions or beach days) and can't leave your sea pass unattended.  You can also put a phone in these plastic sleeves and try to take underwater pictures, though I've not tried.  This sort of lanyard is also good for the ship pool.  Otherwise, my wife and I have to trade off going into the water so someone watches our stuff.

We don't take our passports off the ship, but for those who do, the phone-sized sleeves handle the larger shape of the passport.

There are some women who have two lanyards, one "dressy" for dinner and the other casual for the ship.  When off the ship, I always stick my lanyard under my shirt so it's not obvious.

My son puts his Sea Pass in his shorts.  Has never lost it.

The Harmony has RFID technology so you don't actually take your Sea Pass out of the lanyard, which helps prevent tearing of the plastic sleeve; just touch and go.

My daughter used what I think is called a phone wallet.  It is a pocket type sleeve that sticks to the back of your phone and holds ids, credit cards and SeaPasses.  Since she is never without her phone, it worked well.  Our family had our phones with us most of the time to keep in touch with each other.  I was jealous of her phone wallet, but could not find one either on the ship or in ports.  I was at a seminar in January where they were giving them away, and I snagged a few for upcoming trips.  They peel off very easily.

1 minute ago, Fairlynew said:

My daughter used what I think is called a phone wallet.  It is a pocket type sleeve that sticks to the back of your phone and holds ids, credit cards and SeaPasses.  Since she is never without her phone, it worked well.  Our family had our phones with us most of the time to keep in touch with each other.  I was jealous of her phone wallet, but could not find one either on the ship or in ports.  I was at a seminar in January where they were giving them away, and I snagged a few for upcoming trips.  They peel off very easily.

I carry my phone everywhere with me on a cruise also.  I don't use it for anything other than a camera while on the cruise, I put it in airplane mode and DON'T get an internet package.  I'll have to consider one of those card things for the back.  I hadn't thought about just removing it after the cruise.  LOL

• 3 months later...

Does anyone how the seating goes at chops grill when you make a reservation never been in that specialty restaurant and wondered if it’s like the main dining room where they sit u all together or can u get a private table for two going on Harmony Christmas cruise 2019

3 hours ago, Ed340 said:

Does anyone how the seating goes at chops grill when you make a reservation never been in that specialty restaurant and wondered if it’s like the main dining room where they sit u all together or can u get a private table for two going on Harmony Christmas cruise 2019

The Chops experience would be similar to visiting a local home town restaurant.  If you make reservations for six, six would be at one table.  If you make reservations for two, there will only be two at your table. There are no shared tables where you sit with strangers like in the MDR.