Just back off Independence.

Got back yesterday off the Independence of the Seas, weather and ports were beautiful. Service onboard from some wasn’t. I think this cruise is the one that’s made my mind up to cruise with another company next year.  

Started off as soon as I stepped in my room, to be find an old sock underneath the chair, a plastic dog toy (don’t ask me why it’s onboard?!?), empty tissue box, and in the draws things ranging from hair clips, leaflets and bathroom side still had smears from what looked like toothpaste. (Photo included) On complaining we were told to leave the room so a thorough clean could take place. Finally rectified later that day, I then found underwear and leaflets from a cruise in March ‘19, stuck behind a drawer. No further problems thereafter though.

Dining room waiters are my main bugbear of the cruise, never have I had a head waiter insisting we return each night, after having a meal in Chops on night 2 we told him we had Izumi and another Chops meal arranged for later that cruise, told him which nights which he was ok with. What was strange was his attitude towards us on night 3, stating if we didn’t return we could lose our table, never heard of that before. The constant asking if everything was ok with our meal was also annoying, I understand they need to ask, but both waiters and head asking individually with each course to me is excessive. Even after saying so, it still persisted. The icing on the cake though was the final evening, with the head waiter phoning and asking if we were to dine that evening in the MDR. 

I also found the food on offer rather disappointing, very much the same being served time and time again. Izumi and Chops though were exceptionally good, excellent food and fantastic service. As were  Sorrento’s and the bar staff around the ship. 

Not personally doing any trips with Royal due to the scandalous prices they charge, I had no experience of the trips, chatting to several people onboard though they didn’t seem to be well received, hearing of coaches with no air-con, rude guides refusing elderly people two minutes to purchase a drink, and generally lack of time allowed at the location when they arrived, and even one bus taking off early. Spoke to a family on the train back from Rome who turned up at the coach drop on/off location to find it gone, so they had to make arrangements of their own to get back. 

Final moan was the cruise director and the entertainment, Joff has left to work with P&O and now its someone called Cuddy, and wow he’s awful. So, so loud and seems to try too hard to get laughs, felt very forced and unfunny. As for the entertainment the first week or so, some nights didn’t have a show at all, and when there was it was in general poor comedians. The royal dancers and singers in Grease and Once upon a Time were excellent, as were the ice dancers as always. 

I’ve exclusively cruised with Royal and I’ve seen the standards drop year on year, and I feel disappointed with this cruise. We are now looking at P&O for next year, perhaps a new company, ship and expectations is what we need to reignite our love for cruising. Guess only time will tell. 

DCCD3F36-4C7E-4796-BC74-F578E3BC24FF.jpeg

I would have been appalled if the first thing I encountered was a filthy room !  Once we found a few pieces of clothing in a drawer (Grandeur) but the room itself was clean. I can’t say that I blame you for your reaction.  It sounds like there were many disappointments on your cruise.  Sorry to hear it.

It is unfortunate there were so many problems, but in 14 cruises we have never encountered anything like you reported.  I do agree that prices out of Southampton are higher than other departure ports, so we have only sailed from there once.  Whoever you choose next cruise, we wish you a good time.

1 hour ago, 3trinitythree said:

Got back yesterday off the Independence of the Seas, weather and ports were beautiful. Service onboard from some wasn’t. I think this cruise is the one that’s made my mind up to cruise with another company next year.  

1 hour ago, 3trinitythree said:

I was on the Indy out of Southampton in the middle of this past April and had somewhat similar experiences.  In our experience though the head waiter was constantly pushing the specialty dining.  We typically don't do specialty dining just due to how much the additional cost is and the fact we've already have a paid for dinner that you get no credit for.  I have no problem asking once but once is enough.

The wife and I both also commented afterwards that our room steward was just......meh.  The room was tidied up but there was always an empty glass left,  a plate with maybe a sliver of food left on it or maybe a piece of trash left in the can.  He was a friendly enough fellow but after being on many cruises your expectations just get set to a certain level.

Bar service and the drinks were excellent as usual.  Shows were very good although I did fall asleep at the late comedy shows.    Food in general has been steadily getting more bland and mediocre over that last few years with this being the first cruise I've been on that didn't have lobster tail on at least one night.

To me it just seemed that there may be (like in a lot of industry now) a shortage of good help on the ship. Maybe the pool used for filling these service jobs is getting a little shallow,  not to say I can't see why.

All in all we still had an excellent trip mainly to us being pretty laid back people just going with the flow.