Checked Bags/Rooms ready

I have seen a lot on YouTube about how your checked bags will get delivered to your room and you should hold on to a carry on with your important documents and maybe stuff for the pool. So are you able to go into your room immediately once you have your pass?  Can you bring your own luggage to your room or do you have to check it in because the room won’t be ready?  

18 minutes ago, Kelly N said:

I have seen a lot on YouTube about how your checked bags will get delivered to your room and you should hold on to a carry on with your important documents and maybe stuff for the pool. So are you able to go into your room immediately once you have your pass?  Can you bring your own luggage to your room or do you have to check it in because the room won’t be ready?  

The scanners are actually a little bigger than the ones at the airport so as long as it fits, you can carry your luggage on board yourself.  But in doing so you'll have to lug it around with you until are able to access you're stateroom at 1:00pm. Otherwise you check it in with the terminal porters and as @melski94 stated and it will be delivered to your stateroom.  

2 hours ago, TravelDad said:

I am flying to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise on Allure. Do I get my luggage when the plane lands or does Royal Carribean take care of it. 

It might depend on where you are flying from.

If you're flying into the US from another country then you would have to go through customs so you would have to collect your luggage to do that. 

If you're flying domestically within the US, I suppose it's possible that Royal would be able to collect it (don't know for sure, so someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but even if they were there is no way I would want to do it that way. I would want to collect it myself to be absolutely sure that it would make it to the ship along with me.

7 hours ago, Kelly N said:

Yes, checked bags are delivered to your cabin (left outside in the corridor by your cabin). You can't take them since they are collected at the terminal prior to boarding and screened.

If you purchase the Key, you leave your carry-ons at a designated location (last month on Allure we dropped them off at the theater and the crew members tagged and checked them in and took them away) and you can just take what you need until the cabin is ready (I used a small sling bag). The carry-ons are delivered to your cabin w/ the Key program.

Otherwise, carry-ons stay with you until you have access to your cabin so definitely keep anything of value, cameras, RXs, travel docs, or anything you may need before you have access to your checked bags.

Cabins are technically supposed to be ready at 1:00 PM, but they are often ready a little sooner. On our cruise last month, the cabins were ready around 12:15 PM or so... they will make a general announcement on the ship's PA system to let you know.

4 hours ago, TravelDad said:

I am flying to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise on Allure. Do I get my luggage when the plane lands or does Royal Carribean take care of it. 

Wow! You're flying in the day of your cruise? I know, sometimes it cannot be avoided due to schedules! 

I'm not sure if Royal offers luggage service. Last month, we flew in the day before to Ft. Lauderdale for Allure so we never looked into that option.

It would be nice since you can see Allure from the terminal!

8E0AEBE6-B34E-4ADA-91AE-C31F05ED9117.thumb.jpeg.32c7f255e66d873f76c04769e40728f1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Wow! You're flying in the day of your cruise? I know, sometimes it cannot be avoided due to schedules! 

I'm not sure if Royal offers luggage service. Last month, we flew in the day before to Ft. Lauderdale for Allure so we never looked into that option.

It would be nice since you can see Allure from the terminal!

8E0AEBE6-B34E-4ADA-91AE-C31F05ED9117.thumb.jpeg.32c7f255e66d873f76c04769e40728f1.jpeg

What a great pic! Love it. :14_relaxed:

7 hours ago, Kelly N said:

as others have mentioned, think of it like luggage at the airport, bags that are big enough to check on the plane get "checked" at the port in that you give them to the porters when you get to the port (and give the porters a few $ per bag) . Then the smaller bags you can carry on the plane can be brought on board with you.  These should hold your travel docs, meds, and a change of clothes for the pool and perhaps dinner.   The rooms are usually ready around 1:00.  The bags that you gave to the porters will be delivered and placed outside your door.   SOmetimes you're lucky and they are there when the rooms are ready, sometimes they trickle in throughout the day.  

5 hours ago, TravelDad said:

When we used RCI transfer we had to pick up luggage, tag it for the cruise, and then meet a representative who gathered folks together and walked us to transport.  If you put cruise tags on when you first fly, they may get torn or removed.  Our choice is to pack a stapler or tape in our carry-on.   My rule of thumb is to make sure I see at least one piece of our luggage loaded on the bus to the port, but we have had luggage lost by RCI before (Southampton).

Royal never takes luggage from a plane.  You must retrieve your luggage from the plane.  If you booked a Royal ship transfer you then carry your luggage to the transfer bus after checking in for the transfer at the Royal kiosk in the airport.  If you are finding your own way to the ship you must bring all your luggage to the cruise terminal (taxi, ride share, private car, etc).

The terminal and gangways are not designed for people embarking with large suitcases.  Gangways are typically uphill and waiting areas are small.  Cabins aren't ready until at least 1pm so you have to drag any carry on bags around with you until then.  Typically most terminal employees will not allow anything larger than an airplane carry on bag into the cruise terminal.

9 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

The scanners are actually a little bigger than the ones at the airport so as long as it fits, you can carry your luggage on board yourself.  But in doing so you'll have to lug it around with you until are able to access you're stateroom at 1:00pm. Otherwise you check it in with the terminal porters and as @melski94 stated and it will be delivered to your stateroom.  

I’ll confirm that in Vancouver we were able to go through screening with our checked bags.  It was a SNAFU with boarding there but we each had a backpack and regular full sized suitcase.  We were routed incorrectly by a port worker more than once.  I thought it was going to be a problem with the size of the bags at security but they made it through.  We carried them all the way onto the ship and to the room. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

you can carry your luggage on board yourself.  But in doing so you'll have to lug it around with you until are able to access you're stateroom at 1:00pm. 

You can just meet everyone doing the same in the WJ for lunch. They meet there the start of every cruise! ?

5 hours ago, FManke said:

You can just meet everyone doing the same in the WJ for lunch. They meet there the start of every cruise! ?

Please for the sake of your fellow passengers do not take on anything bigger than an airline carry-on with you, let the porters do their job.  The Windjammer is packed on boarding day and your luggage will take up precious space and be in the way of others.  Not to mention taking up space in the elevators as everyone is trying to get to lunch or the pool. 

Last people we heard several people pointing out families that chose to carry-on everything as "those people". 

19 minutes ago, TravelDad said:

Thank you all. We did have to wait for our luggage and go to the bus which took some time due to lightning. They won’t unload or load bags when lighting. We were told by travel agent that our bags would go straight to ship. Not using her again. Thanks again

Did she tell you that someone would take your bags to the ship and then you would go to the ship separately?  I wonder if she meant to tell you that your bags would get to the ship with  your transfer but didn't give you the details that you would need to move them along in the process and that once dropped off at the port, they would be delivered to your room.  This seems like a classic situation where the statement was vague and left to a lot of interpretation.  I'm sorry you didn't get very detailed and clear information on the process.  Enjoy your cruise!  I'm counting down the days until ours.

That would be fantastic!  I am hearing impaired so going to the Windjammer that first day was really hard.  I sat in a quiet area until I got to go to my room and would have loved to unpack right away.  My husband found our bags about 3 halls over when he went exploring and brought them back to the cabin so we still got them much quicker than our hall mates.

I think ( for me) it would be much better to arrive later, carry my bag onboard directly to my room, unpack and then go to the WJ right before muster when everyone else has sorta migrated to the pool.

Late or early all non carry on bags have to go thru the scanners and will be delivered to your room.  It`s not worth it to arrive late and be in long lines and find  most food gone in the Windjammer.  It is so worth it to arrive at the port at 10 a.m.  We always have a small carry on with documents and meds.  It is an amazing spectacle to see people walking around with lots of luggage and the sort.  Almost as entertaining as watching the Wallmartins on a Saturday.   People you are on vacation.  That`s why there are porters and the such.