Price Checking Really Works

Thank you everyone on this board who talk about price checking.  Saved over $1,200 combined on two rooms on Oasis of the Seas out of Cape Liberty after the AMP and received $50 more onboard credit on each room.

Also found out one of the rooms that we booked was being removed during drydock and had been switched to GTY.  Got that corrected as well.

18 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

How does one do this? Do you have to pay the premium and book a refundable fare or  does RC do price adjustments for you if you ask, regardless of fare type? 

Not all regions are eligible for price drops.  North America typically has always been eligible.  Most fare types are eligible, certain travel agent rates or other promotional rates might not.  

One way is to go through the motions of a mock booking.  For example, if you weren't already booked and just wanted to know the price you would step through the process of booking a cruise.

Another way is using a travel agency like MEI travel (who sponsors this blog site).  They will periodically check for price drops.  

The catch to price drops is comparing identical cabins.  If you are booked in a 4D balcony cabin you have to compare current pricing for a 4D balcony cabin. Sometimes a balcony may appear cheaper but it's for a different category such as a 2D balcony compared to a 4D balcony.  They won't price match different cabins categories within the same type of cabin.  

Price adjustments usually involve giving up any bonuses when booked such as OBC or Kids Sail Free so sometimes it doesn't make sense taking advantage of a price adjustment.  You might save $75 but lose $100 OBC for example.

Once final payment due date has passed (typically 90 days for most cruises) there are no price adjustments, at least not for a while.  In the past they sometims offered OBC but that stopped a few years ago.

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Not all regions are eligible for price drops.  North America typically has always been eligible.  Most fare types are eligible, certain travel agent rates or other promotional rates might not.  

One way is to go through the motions of a mock booking.  For example, if you weren't already booked and just wanted to know the price you would step through the process of booking a cruise.

Another way is using a travel agency like MEI travel (who sponsors this blog site).  They will periodically check for price drops.  

The catch to price drops is comparing identical cabins.  If you are booked in a 4D balcony cabin you have to compare current pricing for a 4D balcony cabin. Sometimes a balcony may appear cheaper but it's for a different category such as a 2D balcony compared to a 4D balcony.  They won't price match different cabins categories within the same type of cabin.  

Price adjustments usually involve giving up any bonuses when booked such as OBC or Kids Sail Free so sometimes it doesn't make sense taking advantage of a price adjustment.  You might save $75 but lose $100 OBC for example.

Once final payment due date has passed (typically 90 days for most cruises) there are no price adjustments, at least not for a while.  In the past they sometims offered OBC but that stopped a few years ago.

But if I notice price has decreased can I just call RC and ask them to adjust my cost? Booked a cruise without a TA before finding this group. ?

16 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

But if I notice price has decreased can I just call RC and ask them to adjust my cost? Booked a cruise without a TA before finding this group. ?

Yes, you can call. Ask them to advise current cost. I also ask them to verify that EVERYTHING has remained the same (cabin, dining time, etc). Make sure that the NET difference is lower before you accept the change. Reason for that is because promotions may vary from the time you booked. So if the cruise fare dropped, but you had originately gotten some on board credit and now you won't, there may be no net savings.

Happy sailing!

10 hours ago, Skid said:

Yes, you can call. Ask them to advise current cost. I also ask them to verify that EVERYTHING has remained the same (cabin, dining time, etc). Make sure that the NET difference is lower before you accept the change. Reason for that is because promotions may vary from the time you booked. So if the cruise fare dropped, but you had originately gotten some on board credit and now you won't, there may be no net savings.

Happy sailing!

Thank you for the clarification! We’re book in a 3-person SOV on Anthem for a holiday cruise.... all those factors combined I don’t expect much/any downward price movement, lol. But, being a bargain hunter, I’ll keep my eyes peeled. 

Quick question.  I booked a GS on Oasis for March 2020.  I was able to price check for a couple of months (and saved several hundred dollars) but now that category no longer shows up.  I wonder if that is because they are all booked or if the website "recognizes" that I have booked this and no longer shows it.  I do have an MEI travel agent, so I am confident that she is also checking.  I just like to be sure.

1 minute ago, Fairlynew said:

Quick question.  I booked a GS on Oasis for March 2020.  I was able to price check for a couple of months (and saved several hundred dollars) but now that category no longer shows up.  I wonder if that is because they are all booked or if the website "recognizes" that I have booked this and no longer shows it.  I do have an MEI travel agent, so I am confident that she is also checking.  I just like to be sure.

See this post: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/10443-fare-reduction-for-phantom-cabin/&tab=comments#comment-98112

• 2 months later...

Hi All -1st post here, I am from Australia and I tried to price match my December 17th  10 night cruise to get a cheaper price. I originally booked online with RCCL with a NRD of $600. I rang RCCL and the consultant told me he could price match but I would lose my deposit, this advice is contrary to what I have read on this forum. However I do note that in this thread @twangster stated " Not all regions are eligible for price drops". Can a forum member confirm for me that different rules apply in Australia v US for price match or should I try again later for a different consultant to hopefully get a different more positive answer. Thanks in advance for all advice.

BTW I have been following this forum for some time and the advice I have learnt is amazing

@Alby re-pricing for price drops seems to only apply for North American bookings. Sorry about that. There are several message board members here from Europe and Australia who have mentioned in the past that they cannot re-price. For them it would mean losing their entire payment and it would be treated like a brand new booking.

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Alby re-pricing for price drops seems to only apply for North American bookings. Sorry about that. There are several message board members here from Europe and Australia who have mentioned in the past that they cannot re-price. For them it would mean losing their entire payment and it would be treated like a brand new booking.

Hey,

We are in Europe and we’re not able to reprice. Even though the price change was considerable, we had 3 rooms! I pushed and pushed on the phone to them and got some extra OBC for each room. No where near the amount I was short but better than nothing. Keep on asking and play the silent game with them, if they talk first you’re closer to getting something ?

Something to note though... when booking on board a couple of weeks ago we were told that even though we are in Europe we would be able to reprice one time the cruise we booked on board. I hope that’s true ?

Nikkoo