Traveler

Advise how to take a good cruise compass scans and the future of the paper copies

Every cruise we do which is not the regular Caribbean itinerary I try to take pictures of the CC and send it to this site so it can be shared. The issue is comparing to other CC I can see my CC are well let's say not so high qoulity (not aligned ) at least I try it will be readable. Any advise how to take better copies of the CC ?

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Every cruise we do which is not the regulator Caribbean itinerary I try to take pictures of the CC and send it to this site so it can be shared. The issue is comparing to other CC I can see my CC are well let's say not so high qoulity (not aligned ) at least I try it will be readable. Any advise how to take better copies of the CC ?

I actually brought mine home, cut them up, and run them through the scanner; I prefer the cleaner look. But that does mean you have to pack them with you....

A flatbed scanner at home is going to yield the best results but I often don't feel like dragging all that paper home so I use the Adobe Scan app for scanning on board.  

The trick with Adobe Scan is trying to start with good captures.  Since I travel with a laptop I use my laptop as an easel to hold the cruise compass (with screen dark or off).  This way the distortion is minimized which makes for better potential focus across the document.  The goal is to have the sheets of paper you are scanning as flat as possible during capture.  The Adobe Scan app allows you to modify each corner to eliminate any keystone effect.  Capturing images at the desk with the desk and overhead cabin lights generally results in decent images to start with. 

The only issue I have with Adobe Scan are the relatively large file sizes it produces so then I use my Mac to optimize the PDFs that Adobe Scan creates. 

I created a custom Quartz filter in the Preview app set to 110 DPI with Medium Low compression.  This generally reduces the PDFs to something that can be sent by email.

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-pdf-without-compromising-image-quality--cms-21698

At that point I can email them to @Matt on the last day of the cruise and I have a copy for myself so I don't have to drag them home.  

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

I drag mine home and run them across a flat bed scanner, I'm old school like that 😂

Speaking of...i've got my Allure to do. 🙄

My scanner only do 1 side so it's allot of manual work 🙂 , need to check the scanner at the office (big HP combo printer) 

I also take them home.  I actually prepare a skinny binder for every cruise that fits in my carry-on (a backpack).  I file excursion receipts, invoices, cruise compasses, etc.  The binder helps organize what would otherwise be a zillion scraps of paper I receive before and during the cruise.  I toss the extra ads before I return home.  How many free raffle tickets to the art show do we need, and how many VIP shopping cards....?

I lug mine home, then bring them to work and use the double sided scanner on our copier machine.  I have tossed so many over the years that now I wish I had kept, so I'm still keeping our most recent ones. I'm sure I'll end up tossing them all into recycling at some point, especially now that Matt is keeping electronic copies for me.  😄

2 hours ago, F1guynz said:

I use the scan function built into my iPhone. It is not as good as a scanner at home but it does an alright job.

You just need a flat surface to take the scan.

Thanks, did not know about that

I have the feeling that it will not take long for the CC paperwork to be by request only, now that you have the app and other way to get the info from . Maybe it will start as a discount for internet  pakage to whoever give up of getting the hard copyi . I will miss them as there is something special about comming back to the room every evening and find out what are the next day activities but it still allot of waste (even if most of it being recycled)

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I have the feeling that it will not take long for the CC paperwork to be by request only, now that you have the app and other way to get the info from . Maybe it will start as a discount for internet  pakage to whoever give up of getting the hard copyi . I will miss them as there is something special about comming back to the room every evening and find out what are the next day activities but it still allot of waste (even if most of it being recycled)

I think it will be a while.  Many people like to disconnect on a cruise and lock the phone in the safe.  The numbers of such individuals require paper CC.  Maybe 10 or 15 years from now the numbers will shift but it's going to take a while to eliminate the paper or they'll face a revolt.

And that's assuming they get the app to properly represent the actual activities on the ship which could be 50 years away.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

And that's assuming they get the app to properly represent the actual activities on the ship which could be 50 years away.

More like never  , by that time the technology will be to transfer the information directly to our heads , not sure I would like to give RCL to mess with my head (although they already trying)

14 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

I also take them home.  I actually prepare a skinny binder for every cruise that fits in my carry-on (a backpack).  I file excursion receipts, invoices, cruise compasses, etc.  The binder helps organize what would otherwise be a zillion scraps of paper I receive before and during the cruise.  I toss the extra ads before I return home.  How many free raffle tickets to the art show do we need, and how many VIP shopping cards....?

I bring mine home and toss the gazillions of ads too!  Jane

11 hours ago, twangster said:

I think it will be a while.  Many people like to disconnect on a cruise and lock the phone in the safe.  The numbers of such individuals require paper CC.  Maybe 10 or 15 years from now the numbers will shift but it's going to take a while to eliminate the paper or they'll face a revolt.

I have mostly given up on the app.  The chat feature wasn’t great on allure and the activities listed are either wrong or incomplete.  Give me the old school compass anyway.  I am going to make sure I bring a highlighter though next time!! Jane

46 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I have mostly given up on the app.  The chat feature wasn’t great on allure and the activities listed are either wrong or incomplete.  Give me the old school compass anyway.  I am going to make sure I bring a highlighter though next time!! Jane

There seems to be an update about every 2-3 weeks so maybe it'll be better your next time around.  It'll be in Beta mode for awhile so I'll give you update in a couple of months

It would be great if the apps were correct and we could mark those for what we wanted to do and get an alert so we don't miss an activity but they aren't.  I would prefer to avoid the paper but many people would be lost without them and since there is no good alternative we probably would all be lost.

14 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

There seems to be an update about every 2-3 weeks so maybe it'll be better your next time around.  It'll be in Beta mode for awhile so I'll give you update in a couple of months

20 minutes ago, Hoski said:

It would be great if the apps were correct and we could mark those for what we wanted to do and get an alert so we don't miss an activity but they aren't.  I would prefer to avoid the paper but many people would be lost without them and since there is no good alternative we probably would all be lost.

Are you talking about the IQ app? I was on Symphony last month with the Royal App (not IQ) and didn't see a cruise compass anywhere. Did I miss it or is it just on IQ?

3 minutes ago, Skid said:

Are you talking about the IQ app? I was on Symphony last month with the Royal App (not IQ) and didn't see a cruise compass anywhere. Did I miss it or is it just on IQ?

There isn't a cruise compass in the app but there is a schedule of activities which is the closest thing.  You can mark activities in there and add them to your calendar in the app.  When we were on Harmony they were stressing using the app over the printed compasses because last minute changes would be reflected in the app.  There was even someone on board that was in charge of updating all of the daily activities in the app.  

Yes, when we were on the Harmony last month, my wife had no trouble accessing the schedule with the App.  For here it was important to synchronize with the ship when we first boarded.