Cruising with Greatness – Anthem Group Cruise – July 4-13, 2019

Lovetocruise2002

Great live blog @Lovetocruise2002.  It was fun to read all 18 pages of this live blog post being on this cruise.

Not meaning to hijack, but a few of my random thoughts.

It was fantastic meeting everyone on the Group Cruise.  One of my favorite cruises so far...by far having 80+ other groupies to hang with was fun.

As has been mentioned about eating in the Two70 Cafe is a hidden gem...the Solarium Bistro is another great place to avoid big crowds.

One funny moment was on day 2 or 3 I was eating dinner up there, and I get a notification on my phone of @Matt doing a live periscope, and I look around the small room, and two other tables were listening in.

Where ever I would go, I would usually see a friendly face, or a red MEI lanyard (thanks @AnnetteJackson .)

As mentioned, the flow of people is not very good, especially around the Royal Theater.  What made it worse, there were major shows/events scheduled when a major show ended, and another event started in 10 or 15 minutes afterwards.  People trying to get in (and blocking the hallways) while the theater was letting out.

Also noticed a few shows/events that started 10-15 (one was 20 or 25) late.  I don't remember this happening so often on my previous cruises.

Being on three Voyager class ships in the past, Anthem my new largest ship...I did miss the openness of a promenade.  

Looking forward to joining more group cruises in the future.

Hey Ken!  I did not even realize that you are on the message boards!  Thanks for reading the live blog ?

5 minutes ago, Ken23 said:

It was fantastic meeting everyone on the Group Cruise.  One of my favorite cruises so far...by far having 80+ other groupies to hang with was fun.

Totally agree!

5 minutes ago, Ken23 said:

One funny moment was on day 2 or 3 I was eating dinner up there, and I get a notification on my phone of @Matt doing a live periscope, and I look around the small room, and two other tables were listening in.

One day @Michael Vitale, his wife, a few others, and I were in the Diamond Lounge watching @Matt do FB live.  Even when sailing with him, we tune in.  Totally devoted lol.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

One day @Michael Vitale, his wife, a few others, and I were in the Diamond Lounge watching @Matt do FB live.  Even when sailing with him, we tune in.  Totally devoted lol.

Watched?  You gotta crash in!  Or is that something that just Brandon & I do?  ? 

On 7/5/2019 at 6:28 PM, Skid said:

I'm really curious... @Matt...if you have/had access why would you NOT try it? I have never sailed in a suite but would absolutely try it if I had the opportunity. 

At first I never went to Coastal Kitchen because I thought it was too "stuffy". 

Then when I did try it, it was for lunch (meh) and breakfast (not bad, not awful but we prefer to just grab and go for breakfast).  Never tried dinner, which @Lovetocruise2002 raves about.

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

At first I never went to Coastal Kitchen because I thought it was too "stuffy". 

Then when I did try it, it was for lunch (meh) and breakfast (not bad, not awful but we prefer to just grab and go for breakfast).  Never tried dinner, which @Lovetocruise2002 raves about.

Lunch is my least favorite CK meal which was my very first CK experience upon boarding once back a few years ago.  Since then I have tended to avoid CK at lunch, the menu doesn't inspire me.

CK dinner though, very different experience.  

When in Sky class CK is my default breakfast venue, usually enjoyed with a Mimosa and my default dinner venue unless I visit specialty.   I do lunch elsewhere.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

4 rounds of farewell shots! What a great cruise! @Matt thank you again for this fantastic community that you have created! Cheers!

It was indeed a fantastic sailing. Glad you and your family got to join us. It was great to spend time with you and #MongolianGrillSuperFan. The tequila shots weren't bad either!

I really hope you will join us again very soon!

On 7/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

What really made this sailing was the people. Last night, I was saying to @Matt that what he’s been saying for years is true. On a GC, you can do as much or as little as you want together. It is so much fun to walk around the ship and constantly run into people that you know. Sailing with the group also provided us with the opportunity to do things that we normally would not do on a cruise, like sit in the Pub or play Jenga...well I did not play, but Hubby did.

This really summarizes what I hope for in each group cruise, and why I think they are so much fun. It's like going on a cruise with your best cruising friends that you didn't know you had.

Just now, Matt said:

It's like going on a cruise with your best cruising friends that you didn't know you had.

^^^ Truer words could not be spoken. We all share this love for cruising that goes beyond “normal” that most people just can’t understand. That’s the common thread right there. I only “virtually” knew everyone prior to this sailing but when meeting some of them, I felt like we were old friends ?

On 7/14/2019 at 10:11 AM, Joe01 said:

For the dreaded question - how was Mitch as CD?

I thought Mitch did a great job.  To his credit, I asked about a particular event and it seemed like he made it happen.  On past cruises, there is sometimes an event where the Broadway show cast sings in the Schooner Bar. It's an event they are not obligated to do, but perform for fun because they can sing their favorite songs.

I asked Austin, the WWRY lead actor, and he said it was not on the schedule but to ask Mitch.  I tweeted Mitch and he worked on it and added it to the last day. That's some serious work on Mitch and his team's part.

I also heard, Mitch gave our group numerous shoutouts in the morning show (I never watch it and never got a chance to see it by the time someone told me it was a thing).

On 7/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The only thing that I did not like was that Mitch did not lead the Crazy Quest.  He let the AM do it.  She was pretty good too but I wanted to see him lead it.  Same thing happened on Harmony in March, Ricky let his AM handle it as well.

I find this is more and more the norm now across the fleet.

53 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Now you must. No more excuses. We have a deal ?

I'm a man of my of my word......as soon as I get in on a ship with CK.

36 minutes ago, twangster said:

Lunch is my least favorite CK meal which was my very first CK experience upon boarding once back a few years ago.  Since then I have tended to avoid CK at lunch, the menu doesn't inspire me.

CK dinner though, very different experience.  

I have heard that dinner in CK is where it's at, primarily from @Lovetocruise2002, as well as other less suite crazed cruisers.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:
  On 7/14/2019 at 2:02 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The only thing that I did not like was that Mitch did not lead the Crazy Quest.  He let the AM do it.  She was pretty good too but I wanted to see him lead it.  Same thing happened on Harmony in March, Ricky let his AM handle it as well.

You guys have been on more RC cruises than I have (5 and 2 booked), and although Abe Hughes was my favorite CD, Mike S. on Symphony in May did the absolute best Quest we have seen. It was the most fun of the week (and not just because I ended up participating).

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

On past cruises, there is sometimes an event where the Broadway show cast sings in the Schooner Bar. It's an event they are not obligated to do, but perform for fun because they can sing their favorite songs.

I asked Austin, the WWRY lead actor, and he said it was not on the schedule but to ask Mitch.  I tweeted Mitch and he worked on it and added it to the last day. That's some serious work on Mitch and his team's part.

Here's video of said performance

On 7/6/2019 at 6:11 PM, karl_nj said:

Well, I think the limited selection is one of the things that helps keep away the crowds.  It's probably an expectations thing -- I've always thought of it as a "Cafe Promenade"++, instead of a mini-windjammer.  But I do see your point.

I think your omelette might get cold on the way down to Two70.  Maybe better to take your omelette and head back to the outdoor seating area in the rear of the Windjammer.  On Royal that option is limited to Quantum and Radiance class ships, so it's fun to take advantage of that, at least when the weather is warm enough.

Maybe on my next Anthem sailing I'll get around to checking out Solarium Bistro for breakfast one day.  MDR breakfast is fun too.  Last trip we didn't make it there until disembarkation morning. I forgot how much I always enjoy the French Toast there.

i love the outdoor seating on celebrity solstice and millenium class ships, too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:24 AM, JLMoran said:

We already established in @twangster's Ovation Alaska blog that bots are like vampires and don't show up in photographs. Now, being a Lulubot instead of a regular bot, it might be more like with the character Seth in "City of Angels"; instead of being invisible, she'll just be this brilliant pillar of light in the photo.

?

I can't believe it just occurred to me after all this time and I apologize if someone else brought it up and I missed it. But, with all the teasing about @twangster and @Lovetocruise2002 being bots, YOU, my friend, are the only one that has "bot" in your name AND has it copyrighted! Just sayin'   ??

IMG_9163.thumb.jpg.718923f55991ffd673f15e0f0bcf7f11.jpg.d7278dc2715de12fb07cb0cffcd70a5b.jpg

10 minutes ago, Skid said:

YOU, my friend, are the only one that has "bot" in your name AND has it copyrighted! Just sayin'   ??

7 minutes ago, ellcee said:

lol, I met @JLMoran and his wife on Anthem last October. He's a bot in name only.

Not to mention I'm the only bot with a photo of himself for his RCBlog avatar. ? 

On 8/3/2019 at 5:21 PM, FManke said:

@MattI've read through but can't find it, but what exactly did you ask for as way of Mediterranean appetizers? Would love to ask next cruise.

Thanks

The table next to us was a large group of guests from Egypt.  We asked our head waiter, half jokingly, how one gets what they were served and he hooked us up the next night.

As I recall, there were green olives, hummus, pita bread, babaganoush, cheeses (feta and a few others).

DSC_0501_2.jpg