Cruising with Greatness – Anthem Group Cruise – July 4-13, 2019

Lovetocruise2002

12 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Do you need to line up early for roller skating too?  Doesn't seem too bad of a line from your picture (or maybe that it out of the picture).

The line for a regular skating session is not as bad as bumper cars. You still need to go early because the time slots fill up.  That pic came from a private session for the group cruise. That is why there were no lines or crowds.

6 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The line for a regular skating session is not as bad as bumper cars. You still need to go early because the time slots fill up.  That pic came from a private session for the group cruise. That is why there were no lines or crowds.

That makes sense why no lines. ?

On 7/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Last night of the cruise... ?

4 rounds of farewell shots! What a great cruise! @Matt thank you again for this fantastic community that you have created! Cheers!

803837E1-DBF1-4933-A391-D94E5BFD0DFE.thumb.jpeg.ab534ee336fccb50c4aa19d58eba893f.jpeg

Recap tomorrow. That’s all ?

I just can't do shots....I will have to train if ever I do a group cruise.  Though I can chug a St Germaine and champagne glass in the same time ? Jane

2 hours ago, Adpcruise1 said:

Do you recall when the Crown and Anchor platinum and up event was? I think I read that it’s normally Day 2 around 4ish? Just wondering. Thanks! 

Sorry. I can’t remember. It may have been Day 4? I seem to recall that it conflicted with our cabin crawl. Or it may have been Day 2 as it typically is. Maybe @CGTLH remembers?

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Sorry. I can’t remember. It may have been Day 4? I seem to recall that it conflicted with our cabin crawl. Or it may have been Day 2 as it typically is. Maybe @CGTLH remembers?

Don't recall either, do remember it conflicted with a group event.

I'm sure it is in my "paperwork" from the cruise.

Final Thoughts:

Where do I begin...?

Let’s start with the ship itself. While the weather was a huge improvement from March, I still do not care for Quantum class. It’s not for me. @Matt mentioned yesterday while recording the podcast that it is a big ship with a small ship feel, but yet smaller ships (Voyager and Freedom Class) never feel as crowded as Anthem. My dislikes from my previous Anthem blog still remain. The WJ is a madhouse. The Esplanade does not move crowds.  And crowds do not disperse well throughout this ship.  While YMMV for motion, both times that I have sailed this ship, I have had to take meds for every sea day. I take zero meds on all OA class sailings. 

We Will Rock You remains my favourite broadway show that Royal does. Very talented cast both times. I like Spectra but this time it was not Terry LaVell, it was someone else who played Spectra so I felt that something was lacking there. The Gift still remains a mystery.

Bermuda is beautiful. We really hope to go back one day. 

This sailing we dined exclusively in CK for dinner. The menu is your regular 7 night menu across the fleet. They repeated the Night 1 & 2 menu to make up for the 9 night sailing. I have the menus on PDF on the “Dining” section of the message boards. It is the same as Harmony and the rest of the fleet. I will provide the link when I get home. I did learn that CK on Ovation runs a slightly different CK menu for now.  The service in CK on Anthem far exceeds OA class. Food the is the same excellent quality. Each night we received multiple check ins from the Maître D’ and the Chef. Stand out service. 

What really made this sailing was the people. Last night, I was saying to @Matt that what he’s been saying for years is true. On a GC, you can do as much or as little as you want together. It is so much fun to walk around the ship and constantly run into people that you know. Sailing with the group also provided us with the opportunity to do things that we normally would not do on a cruise, like sit in the Pub or play Jenga...well I did not play, but Hubby did.

The people on this sailing were fantastic. I cannot even put into words how much I enjoyed meeting everyone in person (finally) and sharing laughs, drinks, and time with them.  Even more proud to support and be a part of the Royal Caribbean Blog community now. 

To the regulars here on the message boards, @Matt, @tiny260, @betatke1480, @CGTLH, @Michael Vitale, @l9dance, @josepena12, meeting you all in person was nothing short of awesome! You are all amazing people!

And if you ever sail with @crzycatldy5 you want her on your team for the Crazy Quest! She rocks!

If there are any other questions, feel free to ask.  If not, thank you for following along. Sorry for not blogging as much this time.

And I barely scoped, I left that up to @josepena12 so make sure to check out his scopes for coverage of the GC. Obviously @Matt provided lots of coverage as well @theRCLblog on periscope.

Until next time...oh wait! That is in 14 days! ?

This must be how @twangster feels ?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Don't recall either, do remember it conflicted with a group event.

I'm sure it is in my "paperwork" from the cruise.

Thanks anyway!  Glad you had a great trip.

Goes to show how different people can like different things. 

I like Quantum class. I rarely have issues with the WJ compared to Oasis class which is my least favorite WJ.  I actually like Quantum class WJ and consider it the best all of the fleet.  The outside aft seating area is icing on that cake.

The Esplanade is my only disappointment with Quantum class.  The poor traffic flow is by design to get you to slow down and browse the sea of kiosks and tables of cruise items for sale.  I tend to avoid it and traverse fore or aft VIA the Bionic bar area one deck up.  The constant Esplanade sale events also impact specialty dining in Wonderland and Izumi since the sounds of the Esplanade invade these venues.  That's really my only complaint with Quantum class.

Voyager and Freedom class Promenade also become very busy during events there like 70's or 80's nights - it's hard to walk from one end to the other.  During sale events it too is a choke point.

I wish Quantum class had a suite lounge.  The Concierge lounge is very nice but lacks 11am to 11pm drinks that the suite lounge on Oasis class provides.  in fact Oasis is the only class of ship that provides complimentary suite drinks in the suite lounge (beyond Diamond Happy Hour drinks early evening).   

Two70° and the VIA create almost a neighborhood in concept from Oasis secreting away scores of guests from other areas.  So does the SeaPlex and Solarium which is also one the best in the fleet.  I also like the pubs on Quantum class then there is the music hall which is another favorite yet well isolated if your are not into that sort of thing.  

The North Star bar is a great hangout with views of the sea.  

I wouldn't want every ship to be Quantum class but I wouldn't want every ship to be Oasis class either.  Quantum class differences are what draw me back.  If every ship was more or less the same that would be very boring.

I've got six more Quantum class bookings and I'm eagerly waiting Odyssey bookings to open up to add a seventh.  

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Goes to show how different people can like different things. 

I like Quantum class. I rarely have issues with the WJ compared to Oasis class which is my least favorite WJ.  I actually like Quantum class WJ and consider it the best all of the fleet.  The outside aft seating area is icing on that cake.

The Esplanade is my only disappointment with Quantum class.  The poor traffic flow is by design to get you to slow down and browse the sea of kiosks and tables of cruise items for sale.  I tend to avoid it and traverse fore or aft VIA the Bionic bar area one deck up.  The constant Esplanade sale events also impact specialty dining in Wonderland and Izumi since the sounds of the Esplanade invade these venues.  That's really my only complaint with Quantum class.

Voyager and Freedom class Promenade also become very busy during events there like 70's or 80's nights - it's hard to walk from one end to the other.  During sale events it too is a choke point.

I wish Quantum class had a suite lounge.  The Concierge lounge is very nice but lacks 11am to 11pm drinks that the suite lounge on Oasis class provides.  in fact Oasis is the only class of ship that provides complimentary suite drinks in the suite lounge (beyond Diamond Happy Hour drinks early evening).   

Two70° and the VIA create almost a neighborhood in concept from Oasis secreting away scores of guests from other areas.  So does the SeaPlex and Solarium which is also one the best in the fleet.  I also like the pubs on Quantum class then there is the music hall which is another favorite yet well isolated if your are not into that sort of thing.  

The North Star bar is a great hangout with views of the sea.  

I wouldn't want every ship to be Quantum class but I wouldn't want every ship to be Oasis class either.  Quantum class differences are what draw me back.  If every ship was more or less the same that would be very boring.

I've got six more Quantum class bookings and I'm eagerly waiting Odyssey bookings to open up to add a seventh.  

Having not been on a quantum class ship it looks from the outside to be even more disconnected than the Oasis class from the sea. Probably because so many of the cruises are in chillier destinations, but I’d be curious how the Quantum class would fit on the traditional eastern and western Caribbean 7 nighters out of Miami or Port Everglades. 

58 minutes ago, betatke1480 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 as I sit at work, (ugh that sucks typing it.  Where's Shane?) I'm still riding a high from this cruise.  So many great memories and stories.  Putting faces and personalities to usernames was awesome.  We can't wait to see everyone again!

Allure ⭐️ Takeover!! 03/14/21

Now we just need Shane ?

2 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

Having not been on a quantum class ship it looks from the outside to be even more disconnected than the Oasis class from the sea. Probably because so many of the cruises are in chillier destinations, but I’d be curious how the Quantum class would fit on the traditional eastern and western Caribbean 7 nighters out of Miami or Port Everglades. 

More connected to the sea than Oasis, less than Radiance.  

Two70° offers fantastic views of the sea.  Upstairs and to the sides of Two70° are seating areas to watch the sea go by in air conditioning.  Two70°'s bar offers indoor air conditioned views of the sea.  Venues like the music hall upstairs and the Diamond Lounge have large round windows to the sea.   There are seating areas on both sides of the outdoor areas on deck 5 as well as the forward areas of deck 5 to feel the sea versus only the aft part of the jogging track on Oasis.  North Star offers unequaled views of the sea.  North Star bar offers outdoor bar views of the sea.  Quantum class are ocean view balcony ships.  Highest ratio of ocean facing balconies in the fleet (Oasis may claim more balconies, but many are interior facing).  The indoor family pool area out of the sun is like a solarium for families great for inclement weather.  Raining all day? Throw the kids in the indoor pool.   Sunny?  Throw the kids in the outdoor pool.  The outdoor pool has a TV by the pool for those family movie nights by the pool absent on Oasis.  

Keep in mind Anthem periodically does cruises deeper into the Caribbean, down to Barbados for example.  It's warm there, that's not a chilly destination.  In fact all of Anthem's destinations are warm destinations, it just starts in a cooler climate.  Anthem goes to Bermuda, Nassau, CocoCay, Labadee, San Juan, St Thomas, St Maarten, St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, Martinique  and Antigua to name a few warm weather destinations.  Missing are Western Caribbean destinations because of the distance from Bayonne and that is what Odyssey will bring to the equation. 

Quantum class is suited to cooler destination but that doesn't mean it only does cooler climates.  Australia in the summer is not a cool climate.

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

It’s both more and less disconnected, IMO. The Q class ships have so many ocean balcony rooms compared to other ships that getting a balcony is only barely more expensive than an inside or OV (and sometimes cheaper with a good sale). So you get that ocean connection in that way.

The Two70 lounge is a FANTASTIC place to watch the ocean and have more of that connection, and the WJ has the aft outside dining area @twangster noted, as well as the usual floor to ceiling glass along the whole length of the outside walls. And you have the jogging track / pool deck with the Flow Raider and iFly all providing ocean views.

Where you feel the inward facing nature is in the Esplanade, the VIA, and any of the public’s venues. All inside, with few or no windows to give you that ocean connection. And honestly, in mid-October when it’s 40° F outside plus wind chill, not seeing the gloomy outdoors is kind of nice.

11 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Thank you @Lovetocruise2002 for blogging again!  Wish they would move up spring break 2021 so I could join you guys!  It looks like you had an amazing trip!!!!!!  Jane

Sorry, we grabbed Allure back in December upon release and got a great deal on it. Not giving that one up lol. And that will be our spring break.

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

It’s both more and less disconnected, IMO. The Q class ships have so many ocean balcony rooms compared to other ships that getting a balcony is only barely more expensive than an inside or OV (and sometimes cheaper with a good sale). So you get that ocean connection in that way.

The Two70 lounge is a FANTASTIC place to watch the ocean and have more of that connection, and the WJ has the aft outside dining area @twangster noted, as well as the usual floor to ceiling glass along the whole length of the outside walls. And you have the jogging track / pool deck with the Flow Raider and iFly all providing ocean views.

Where you feel the inward facing nature is in the Esplanade, the VIA, and any of the public’s venues. All inside, with few or no windows to give you that ocean connection. And honestly, in mid-October when it’s 40° F outside plus wind chill, not seeing the gloomy outdoors is kind of nice.

Didn't realize that Anthem didn't have a Promenade.  So deck 5 isn't a single walkthrough with the stores on each side?  I'm looking at the deck plans now and notice it does list it as Esplanade but hard to tell if its just that single area and if you can walk from one end to the other.  Do you walk around the outside to get from one section to the next? 

8 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Didn't realize that Anthem didn't have a Promenade.  So deck 5 isn't a single walkthrough with the stores on each side?  I'm looking at the deck plans now and notice it does list it as Esplanade but hard to tell if its just that single area and if you can walk from one end to the other.  Do you walk around the outside to get from one section to the next? 

It has an “Esplanade” on Deck 4 which is sort of like the Promenade on OA class. However, where the Promenade is open and wide, the Esplande is narrow and much shorter in length. To make matters worse, they set up tables in the middle of the Esplanade and it takes up much needed space for walking.

Deck 5 on Anthem opens in the middle and you can walk along the sides of it but not across it.  It comes back together again along the VIA towards Vintages and 270 and Schooner on the other end. 

9 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

No Promenade, in it's place is an Esplanade.  Towards one end of the Esplanade there is guests services, then food or beverage venues with kiosks and display cabinets in the middle then towards the other end of the Esplanade are stores.  The length of the Esplanade has a dog leg in it at the Pub.  The kiosks and display cases are used to display items for various items for sale.  In that sense the Esplanade is similar to the Promenade found on some other classes of ships.   Slightly more narrow in places with a dog leg.

You can walk the length of The Esplanade inside.  You can also walk the length of it one deck up where you'll find Izumi, Wonderland, Shore Excursions, the Bionic Bar and completely forward the Schooner Bar.   That is one advantage of Quantum class - the ability to bypass the Esplanade one deck up overlooking the Esplanade for it's entire length.

I think it's the dog leg that causes congestion in the Esplanade.  That forces events like 2 for $20 sales or the Captain's address to be compressed in a sub-section of the overall space.  

22 minutes ago, twangster said:

No Promenade, in it's place is an Esplanade.  Towards one end of the Esplanade there is guests services, then food or beverage venues with kiosks and display cabinets in the middle then towards the other end of the Esplanade are stores.  The length of the Esplanade has a dog leg in it at the Pub.  The kiosks and display cases are used to display items for various items for sale.  In that sense the Esplanade is similar to the Promenade found on some other classes of ships.   Slightly more narrow in places with a dog leg.

You can walk the length of The Esplanade inside.  You can also walk the length of it one deck up where you'll find Izumi, Wonderland, Shore Excursions, the Bionic Bar and completely forward the Schooner Bar.   That is one advantage of Quantum class - the ability to bypass the Esplanade one deck up overlooking the Esplanade for it's entire length.

I think it's the dog leg that causes congestion in the Esplanade.  That forces events like 2 for $20 sales or the Captain's address to be compressed in a sub-section of the overall space.  

Thanks for explaining.  So to walk from 270 to the Royal Theatre, you go one deck up?

Look forward to trying Anthem in March.  I know it's not for everyone but pretty sure we'll love it too. The 270 seems like it has wonderful views and still tons to do for all.

48 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It has an “Esplanade” on Deck 4 which is sort of like the Promenade on OA class. However, where the Promenade is open and wide, the Esplande is narrow and much shorter in length. To make matters worse, they set up tables in the middle of the Esplanade and it takes up much needed space for walking.

Deck 5 on Anthem opens in the middle and you can walk along the sides of it but not across it.  It comes back together again along the VIA towards Vintages and 270 and Schooner on the other end. 

Ah ok thanks...read posts backwards so missed your post.  Now I see on deck 4 where it shows where you can walk.

Guessing for tables, they always try to offer the watch and tshirt sales. ?

4 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks for explaining.  So to walk from 270 to the Royal Theatre, you go one deck up?

Look forward to trying Anthem in March.  I know it's not for everyone but pretty sure we'll love it too. The 270 seems like it has wonderful views and still tons to do for all.

You can walk the length of the ship from Two70° forward to the upper level of the main theater on deck 5.  In the middle of the ship remaining on deck 5 allows you to bypass the Esplanade crowds.  Once in the forward elevator bank you can take the stairs down one level to the deck 4 primary main theater entrance.  

3 hours ago, Joe01 said:

For the dreaded question - how was Mitch as CD?

I personally thought that Mitch was great.  Full of energy and great sense of humour.  I was impressed because we were his last sailing before his break.  Also @Matt can probably chime in as well because I know that he had a couple of conversations with Mitch.  The only thing that I did not like was that Mitch did not lead the Crazy Quest.  He let the AM do it.  She was pretty good too but I wanted to see him lead it.  Same thing happened on Harmony in March, Ricky let his AM handle it as well.

2 hours ago, Susie said:

@Lovetocruise2002 and others, thanks for the blog. I knew Anthem OTS is not your favorite but we loves her. Everyone has their own favorite. Hope you have a blog for Symphony OTS so we can see a bit of her before our trip in October. This will be our first with Oasis class ship.

Exactly!  Everyone has their favourite and while Anthem is not mine, I still had great time.  And I would never totally rule it out for the future.  Hubby did say that he would not mind trying out Star Class on Quantum class....you know what that means..lol

Btw, I had a Lemon Drop Martini every day thanks to you ?

1 hour ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Thank You All For The Great Live Blog. It Made My Week!

Thank you for following!