Embarkation Day Rituals?

Neesa

I was wondering, would anyone mind sharing their embarkation day rituals? Is there something you like to do immediately as soon as you step on-board? Favorite place to be on the ship for sailing away?  Should we do the 1430hrs introduction to the ship tour? We are a family of 3 to include a 13 year old daughter. Youth club registration? Oh, the safety drill I see we are at E4 location, does that take long? Life jackets required? Would love to hear some fun suggestions, thanks to everyone in advance!  (We are in an OS so I believe that lounge may be an option.)

As soon as I board, I'll try and get to the pool deck (on a warm-weather sailing at least) and order a Kraken Lava Flow to officially kick things off. After muster drill is done, I also like to get a margarita from Boleros, or Sabor if the ship has one, and enjoy that during sail-away. Tells me the cruise is officially underway!

As for where I enjoy the beverage, depends on the ship. If there's a helipad that's open to the passengers (mainly Freedom and Voyager class ships, maybe also Radiance class), that's where I'll be so I get the best view as we leave the port. If that's not an option, I'll either be watching from my balcony or (new plan for this year's Bermuda sailing in October) sitting in the hot tub in the Solarium.

Muster drill doesn't take long once it gets started, especially now that they seem to just show the James Bond-style video and nothing else. I want to say it's maybe 20 minutes tops. Tricky part is that they don't start until every passenger is checked in at their muster station, so you just have to hope your sailing doesn't have too many stragglers.

Life jackets are not required any longer.

Which ship?

Boarding ritual - arrive early and grab a bite to eat upon boarding.  Often a beverage is consumed shortly after boarding.  

If you are new to cruising or on a class of ship you've never sailed the intro can be informative and helpful.

The "Guest Assembly Drill" or "Muster Drill" is typically about 20 minutes but often guests arrive prior to the official start of the drill.  No life jackets required.  

For sail away I tend to watch from the pool deck or one deck above the pool deck.  This varies by ship though.   

@kittysoul, a Kraken Lava Flow is a frozen cocktail made with pina colada mix, strawberry mix, and Kraken rum. The strawberry mix is not blended into the drink, rather it's poured in and just allowed to flow through the drink like lava.

Alternative version is the Kraken Mango Lava Flow, which replaces the strawberry mix with mango.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

@kittysoul, a Kraken Lava Flow is a frozen cocktail made with pina colada mix, strawberry mix, and Kraken rum. The strawberry mix is not blended into the drink, rather it's poured in and just allowed to flow through the drink like lava.

Alternative version is the Kraken Mango Lava Flow, which replaces the strawberry mix with mango.

I think this will make my day!  My husband LOVES Kraken rum.

5 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Y U M !  I am writing this one down so I remember!  Tell me some more awesome drinks like that!  

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

For sail away I tend to watch from the pool deck or one deck above the pool deck.  This varies by ship though.   

On Allure, would you say it's better to watch sail away from deck 7 cabin balcony (unobstructed) or on deck at the front of the ship?

35 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

On Allure, would you say it's better to watch sail away from deck 7 cabin balcony (unobstructed) or on deck at the front of the ship?

We like the deck above the pool deck. Out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale,  the left side railing. You can wave to the people on land who are watching you leave. You can hear the music and get your first chance to mingle with other guests. And sometimes the photographers are out taking photos. 

3 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

We like the deck above the pool deck. Out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale,  the left side railing. You can wave to the people on land who are watching you leave. You can hear the music and get your first chance to mingle with other guests. And sometimes the photographers are out taking photos. 

That's exactly where we were out of Miami it was crowded but a lot of fun. Band was out playing also.

20190518_163742-580x1031.thumb.jpg.1ee4a87de60d3b07e3a43450251df5dc.jpg.39210a8006a3b7a5906961456c0e27b0.jpg

And this was AMAZING..Even had a helipad!

20190518_164820-1032x581.thumb.jpg.b694200657ff71928a3f47afcd447111.jpg.c7b1873c533766958559b9d142d098ba.jpg

We walked the ship (Harmony) before lunch.  We found WJ to be a zoo, so next Harmony cruise we will try the Park Cafe or the Solarium.  We did go to the 2:30 video on the Harmony, but we already knew enough from studying deck plans and walking the ship. Normally,  I enjoy being out on deck for the sail away, but typically we are getting ready for early seating dinner.  I must confess that watching a ship leave port, if even for a few minutes, is one of the simple pleasures of cruising.

Depending on how early we board, I like to grab a coffee and tour the ship! Then grab lunch at either at WJ or park café. 

Once cabins are ready, I like to unpack and settle in to the vacation! Then off to the pool deck for a drink and sail away!! 

Man, I'm sailing on Serenade in about 25 days and this is just getting me more excited! ?