Cruise Cancelled/Chartered - Independence of the Seas Jan 16 2021

Well I got the email today that the Independence of the Seas January 16th, 2021 cruise is now chartered so I have to figure out what else to do. They gave me some alternatives but I will have to give it some thought and wife consultation and come up with another cruise to take. This is what was offered:

-night Independence of the Seas 2021 Western Caribbean itinerary departing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida on:

• January 11th or February 22ndsailing to George Town, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico.
  • January 30th, February 13th or February 27thsailing to Labadee, Haiti and Falmouth, Jamaica.

No matter what sailing your clients choose, we know they'll have an amazing time eating great food and visiting beautiful ports. With miles of rugged coastlines, culturally enriching tours, delicious local cuisine, and plenty of shopping options, there's a destination just for them! We are sure they'll find the perfect getaway!

What they'll receive:

• Their original stateroom category will be price protected at the original cruise fare rate, excluding taxes, fees, gratuities, and other non-cruise fare items.
  • And, they'll receive a credit to spend onboard per stateroom:
    • $100 USD for Interior, Ocean View and Balcony staterooms | $200 USD for Suites
    • Plus, an additional $50 USD for each third or more guest to spend onboard
  • You'll receive protected commission plus $50 USD Bonus commission.

Option 2: Re-book any other Royal Caribbean International sailing and receive the following credits to spend onboard per stateroom:

• $100 USD for Interior, Ocean View and Balcony staterooms | $200 USD for Suites
  • Plus, an additional $50 USD for each third or more guest to spend onboard
  • You'll receive protected commission.

Yea I understand...but as they say, business is business, and if they can get full booking now on a charter versus waiting to see if it fills up on a 2021 cruise I would see why they would do it. No real skin off my back on this one as it is a long ways off. I will take my extra $200 OBC and run to a new booking - -I was in a Grand Suite. 

Getting told a year and a half before sail date is definitely a heck of a lot better than the poor folks who got only six or nine months' notice, with airfare and hotels already booked.

Still not a great situation to be in, but I hope you find a sailing that works in your time frame and will be just as enjoyable as the one you'd planned on.

1 hour ago, Morganno said:

How can someone rent out 3000 cabins ? how much would it cost to charter Indy?

$3.9M to $4.5M for a full week on Freedom class depending on time of year.  January is often a slow cruise time so many charters happen in January.

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

Oasis class is more and they get charted as well.  

2 hours ago, Morganno said:

How can someone rent out 3000 cabins ? how much would it cost to charter Indy?

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

$3.9M to $4.5M for a full week on Freedom class depending on time of year. 

I'm sure it was a company or something.

It's a lot of money, but come on, if you won the lottery, I mean a really big lottery, how cool would that be? To have the whole ship to yourself and how ever many of your closest family and friends along?

Talk about a bucket list cruise!

1 minute ago, FManke said:

I'm sure it was a company or something.

It's a lot of money, but come on, if you won the lottery, I mean a really big lottery, how cool would that be? To have the whole ship to yourself and how ever many of your closest family and friends along?

Talk about a bucket list cruise!

I think being on a big, empty ship would be creepy.  I have about 4 friends (although, if I won a Mega lottery I’m sure I would have no trouble making new friends !) so we could each have a floor to ourselves.  I would let the crew sleep in the Suites.  

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think being on a big, empty ship would be creepy.  I have about 4 friends (although, if I won a Mega lottery I’m sure I would have no trouble making new friends !) so we could each have a floor to ourselves.  I would let the crew sleep in the Suites.  

I'm sure people who have won the lottery discover all kinds of friends they never knew they had!

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think being on a big, empty ship would be creepy.  

I was on a B2B and on the return the ship was diverted due to high winds and went to San Diego instead of Long Beach.  Departing guests were bussed to Long Beach while embarking guests used those same busses to reach the ship later in the day.  I had the ship to myself (plus crew).  I was the only B2B cruiser and it took hours for the process of debarking and embarking to proceed.  Around 4pm new guests began to appear after the last guest left at 9:30am.

In the interim I had the ship to myself with only crew milling about, sun tanning and enjoying the day.  It was cool at first but as the day proceeded it was weird walking around a ghost ship.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

$3.9M to $4.5M for a full week on Freedom class depending on time of year.  January is often a slow cruise time so many charters happen in January.

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/full-ship-charter-faqs/

Oasis class is more and they get charted as well.  

Thanks @twangster I was wondering how much it would be and my mind just couldn't calculate how much it would be to charter a ship. My thoughts were close - I thought $5-10 million.

I ended up moving my cruise dates 6 weeks to 22 February to go to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. As I already had some OBC for the cruise I am now up to $500 so that eased my suffering ?. I am still in a Grand Suite as before just had to move down the hall a tad to room 1298.