Communicating with family on board

Going on a RC cruise in July to the Western Caribbean. Our family has three staterooms: Mom and Dad (that's us); grown son and wife: grown son, wife, and 2 YO twins. We're all on the same level of the ship. How do people stay in touch with other family members? We won't have use of our cell phones on board. What about putting post-it notes on the doors? How well do walkie talkies work? Any other creative ideas? Thanks for your help!

46 minutes ago, brneuberg said:

What about putting post-it notes on the doors?

Welcome to the forum @brneuberg. All the walls, ceilings and doors are metal. Bring some little magnets to hold notes on the doors...the post its may blow off. Also get some heavy duty magnets like these for hanging cover ups, bags, etc. This will give you a lot more organized storage.

In addition to the apps suggested in @Matt blog, we have successfully used Voxer for several years. It's free, but you can also pay for an upgrade to have a live walkie talkie option. It's available for both Android and Apple. Of course, to use it you will need access to the ship's wifi (Voom).

Happy sailing!

We've traveled with family on one cruise and with friends on another.  We made a plan to eat dinner together each day and kind of just decided what to do then, when to meet up, what to do together and what times, we just let each other know our general plans.  Most of the times we just did those things together, but sometimes we might go our separate ways for a while.  I run a business from my phone/laptop and did NOT want to be tethered to them on vacation...so we just used good, old-fashioned, talking to people.  LOL.

On our last cruise we used the app with the chat feature.   It did not work out well for us with no push notifications.   I found myself using the phones throughout the ship to call into our room.  My lazy teenage son would get a wake up call from "housekeeping" to get up and meet us somewhere.   He would never check the app but always answered the in room phone!

16 hours ago, JennyB said:

We've traveled with family on one cruise and with friends on another.  We made a plan to eat dinner together each day and kind of just decided what to do then, when to meet up, what to do together and what times, we just let each other know our general plans.  Most of the times we just did those things together, but sometimes we might go our separate ways for a while.  I run a business from my phone/laptop and did NOT want to be tethered to them on vacation...so we just used good, old-fashioned, talking to people.  LOL.

What is this "talking" that you speak of? Can you please explain how that works? IDoes the "talk device" drain my battery? Do I need extra charging cables for that or perhaps batteries?  :4_joy:

1 hour ago, whenismynextcruise said:

What is this "talking" that you speak of? Can you please explain how that works? IDoes the "talk device" drain my battery? Do I need extra charging cables for that or perhaps batteries?  :4_joy:

It's a new feature offered by Apple.  It's called iTalk.  It's fairly simple really and it's a wonder no phone manufacturer featured it before. 

Critics of Apple have pointed it the new feature really just turns off the phone and argue Android phones have had this capability longer than Apple and that Apple is simply copying Android once again.  Not to be outdone, Samsung is said to be rolling out this feature on it's future super duper bendy models calling the new feature "SamsungTalk".