Oasis of the Seas Specialty Dining 2/27/16 Sailing

Freehiker

I purchased a trip on the 2/27/16 sailing of the Oasis of the Seas last night.  When I looked at my cruise planner, I wanted to book the Specialty Dining package because we don't like eating in the MDR. 

There is an advertisement on the dining page for the dining package, but there isn't an actual package listed for sale.  The only thing we can buy are individual reservations.

I called customer service and they said the package is not offered during holiday sailings.  When I pointed out that isn't a holiday sailing, the put me on hold for ages while they checked with "supervisor" and "tech dept" and came back with the same answer; it isn't offered.  When I asked why they would advertise the specialty packages if they aren't for sale, the answer was "sorry, it isn't offered".

What I don't understand is I see other people on one of the cruise websites discussing this same sailing we are on and how they purchased the speciality dining awhile back and have already made their reservations.

Any ideas what's going on?

I don't know specifically about your cruise, but I know for ours it showed the package on my cruise planner but I couldn't book it. When we got on board, we inquired about it. We were on a holiday sailing so it didn't apply, but it still showed online.

Worst case scenario, you should be able to prebook and not receive the discount and then have it resolved when you get on board. Or just wait to make all your reservations on board. I felt like there was much greater availability onboard than there was online pre cruise.

I purchased a trip on the 2/27/16 sailing of the Oasis of the Seas last night.  When I looked at my cruise planner, I wanted to book the Specialty Dining package because we don't like eating in the MDR. 

There is an advertisement on the dining page for the dining package, but there isn't an actual package listed for sale.  The only thing we can buy are individual reservations.

I saw same thing on my upcoming Navigator of the Seas cruise.  

I believe this is the RC web site being the RC web site, unfortunately.

Well....I was excited but not so much anymore.

In all of our past RCI cruises we have bought the specialty dining packages then made our reservations.

Now when you buy the package they won't let you make any of the reservations until you get there.

So, essentially you get punished for buying the package. If you pay the full price charge for each specialty restaurant you can go ahead and book your dining time. If you buy the package you have to wait.

I don't know if it's this way on all of RCI's ships now or just the Oasis.

• 2 weeks later...

In all of our past RCI cruises we have bought the specialty dining packages then made our reservations.

Now when you buy the package they won't let you make any of the reservations until you get there.

So, essentially you get punished for buying the package. If you pay the full price charge for each specialty restaurant you can go ahead and book your dining time. If you buy the package you have to wait.

That's just not right. Have you tried calling RC?

That is how these dining packages work and it is why I, personally, do not buy them.  On the bright side, you are saving money versus buying them individually but you give up your control of when you will eat there.

I thought I read once onboard you can change the days/times.