racjay

1 hour ago, racjay said:
  •  
  •  
  • September 4, 2018
  •  
  • 5 posts

Hi 

im due to finish cruise on the 8th sept 2019 my passport is out on the 7th march 2020 which is 1 day over the 6 month period ,,do i need to renew my passport or would i be ok,i board and depart out of the usa ,im from ireland

I have read that 6 months is just a guideline, and you wouldn't want to be turned away because of an official's on-the-spot judgment.  It likely also depends which countries you are visiting, as some can be pickier than others.  Therefore, I concur with 

hayley_bopp

I would get the renewal, and toss in a travel card for good measure so you always have a back-up.   If you have already checked-in and don't want to change all the documents, maybe just order the travel card.

Are you flying home on the day the cruise ends?  

When you land in the U.S. immigration won't care about you going on cruise so much as what day you plan to leave the U.S. at the end of your visit.  That is what will help them decide if you are admissible on the day your plane lands at the start of your trip.   

You might call your airline.  Typically your airline is going to validate you have a valid passport and you are staying within guidelines for a non-visa duration because they will be responsible if you don't meet basic admissibility guidelines.  

Does anybody know the process of getting a "full" passport if you already have a passport card?

We will need one next year and have only needed the card until this point as we have only sailed in and out of other countries.

Thanks

32 minutes ago, FManke said:

Does anybody know the process of getting a "full" passport if you already have a passport card?

We will need one next year and have only needed the card until this point as we have only sailed in and out of other countries.

Thanks

You fill out the application, etc.  They need the photos and what not.  We downloaded the form or used the passport office in a local PO.  (They needed an appointment.)  There is a slightly different process for "new passport" vs. "renewal" -- the renewal is done by mail but the "new" involves the appointment when we checked in late 2017.  I would check with State Department because they may have seen some of your supporting documents already when you obtained your travel card.

Maybe this link will work for you. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/how-to-apply.html

38 minutes ago, FManke said:

Thanks 

Just now, ChessE4 said:

You fill out the application, etc.  They need the photos and what not.  We downloaded the form or used the passport office in a local PO.  (They needed an appointment.)  There is a slightly different process for "new passport" vs. "renewal" -- the renewal is done by mail but the "new" involves the appointment when we checked in late 2017.  I would check with State Department because they may have seen some of your supporting documents already when you obtained your travel card.

Yes, we went to our local PO as well the first time. I just didn't know if the process was streamlined at all since like you said the State Dept already has some of our docs.

Thanks

It doesn't matter where the passport is from, it is what country you are trying to enter.  Some of them have a rule where the passport has to have 6 months left before expiring.  The US is not one of them so you should be fine to get back into the US after the cruise.  How you get back to Ireland may be impacted if you're going through one of the countries that has the 6 month rule.  Most of us aren't familiar with the passport processing times in Ireland, but just to be safe I would look into getting it renewed.  It looks like Ireland allows you to do this online and they state to allow 6 weeks for processing.  https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/whocanapply/

21 hours ago, FManke said:

Yes, we went to our local PO as well the first time. I just didn't know if the process was streamlined at all since like you said the State Dept already has some of our docs.

I applied for a new passport at the post office, my wife applied for a renewal. Hers was processed quickly and she received it in about 3 weeks. Mine is a different story. They (State Dept.) want the "Long Form" birth certificate with a "raised seal". I'm in the third cycle of this adventure and beginning to lose my patience. My best advice is allow plenty of time! The swamp is in no hurry.....