Packing for Alaska!

Packing bug spray, sun screen, binocs, polarized sunglasses, clothing layers, rain coat and rain pants, water proof hiking boots/shoes, swim suit (hot tub), slippers/flipflops, light packable waterproof backpack, clips for curtains to block out daylight, fleece layers, plus the usual cruise stuff.

9 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

@Baked Alaska Sounds good, don’t forget to pack your Stanley Cup champs t’s and caps! 

Ill be honest, during our May Ovation cruise expect for excursion on the glacier we really only needed jacket and long pants most days.  It felt like a spring (or fall) day most of the time.  

Definitely will be packing the Blues "sweater" hoodies and caps!! Taking convertible pants to shorts so no need for extra shorts. I saw where the temperature was 80F yesterday at one of the ports. Yep, may need to get some NHL Blues Stanley Cup Champs t-shirts! LET'S GO BLUES!  Side note: we were at one of our local hangouts for beer, burgers, Blues. . . and trivia night on game 7 night. We got third in trivia. . . defeated some Missouri S&T professors, plus the Blues win. . .  that's a win in my book! 

Everyone says "layers", but here's my recommendation for what that actually means:

1. Outer waterproof layer. This should be lightweight waterproof jacket that adds no protection from cold, just keeps you dry.
  2. Fleece jacket/sweater. This layer is to keep you warm. Hoodie can be used too
  3. T-shirt layer

This way, you can take off or add back layers as the weather dictates. 

In terms of how much to pack, you should plan on a t-shirt every day, but 1-2 fleece/sweater and 1 waterproof layer.

I've cruised to Alaska with my husband on May 2, 2018. I loved the ports of call but did not see any animals. I'm sure in July you will see some.

We wore a Colum*bia 2 layer coat, that I bought in my favourite Orlando outlet,  which most of the guests also wore. Mine was bright orangish-red, it looks awesome on pictures. My husband's was grey and black, it was...dull.

We experienced rain and wind and cold. Our clothing was working perfect. We also wore a wooly hat and gloves, which may not be necessary in July. And some Colum*bia water repellent pants. I would advice a sleeveless fleece for summer.

We are on Ovation in August.  I'm realizing we will not need as much cold weather gear as originally planned.  I already have our trip on my weather app.   It is supposed to be 78 degrees in Juneau today!  When I booked this trip some 500+ days out I pictured us bundled up in snow gear.   I'm leaving the snow gear at home and packing lots of light layers.  

We went on the Radiance (Vancouver to Seward) the a 3-day post tour to Denali.  Used my hoodie, my fleece jacket, and I had a fleece vest that I wore more than anything else.  However, inside Denali the day we were there was extremely HOT (80's) that we weren't expecting.  We loved that trip. 

Envious.  Even after living in Alaska for 3 yrs, this is my favorite RC cruise.  In summer, Fairbanks is actually warmer than Anchorage .  So Denali being warm is true.    Viewing Hubbard's Glacier was very cold when we were there on 4 July a couple of years ago.  Get to a good spot for viewing before the Radiance comes in view of Hubbards Glacier.  It gets very crowded. The Captain typically rotates the ship, so either side is fine. 

Mosquitoes.. mosquitoes... the worse time is mid June thru July.  We went to the top of Alyeska,  Seven Glaciers Restaurant, and we still got swarmed.  But as Baked Alaska said, bug spray is key.  While on the Radiance,  no worries.  Be prepared to wear sunglasses at "night."  ?

Temps were relatively mild. Layer as others have said. The only really cold spot was Hubbard glacier. I put on everything I had and still could only stay on deck about 15 minutes. If you plan on any excursions to glaciers via chopper or dog sled I would plan on heavy clothes or check and make sure artic weare is provided.

The layers thing is spot on.  We went end of May, beginning of June and it was very pleasant the entire time save for a rainy day in Juneau.  The coldest time was the glacier sailing..only time I used my gloves for the entire trip.  The rest of the time I was fine in a tshirt and pants.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:10 PM, LandstromCruise said:

Ok we leave in less than 3 weeks!  Cruising on Radiance going from Seward to Vancouver with a 3 day pre-tour in Denali National Park. Trying to start packing and need a list of the must haves!  

I know this is tangential to your original question, but I have to recommend Prospector's Pizza when you visit Denali. http://prospectorspizza.com They have a pizza called "The Lower 48 It Ain't" that is something else. It has reindeer sausage and elk meatballs. 

It looks like a bit of a tourist trap, to be honest, but the food is delicious.