Specialty dining reservation question

Shari3

I am sailing on the Oasis Sept 2020 and I noticed on the cruise planner I can make reservations already for specialty dining. My question is this: in order to make a reservation the system is requiring me to pay for the package now.  If I were to do that and later on there was a sale and I cancel and rebook the dining package would I lose my original reservations? 

4 minutes ago, Shari3 said:

I am sailing on the Oasis Sept 2020 and I noticed on the cruise planner I can make reservations already for specialty dining. My question is this: in order to make a reservation the system is requiring me to pay for the package now.  If I were to do that and later on there was a sale and I cancel and rebook the dining package would I lose my original reservations? 

dining packages don't let you book reservations in advance. You buy the package now then as soon as you get onboard you go to a restaurant and book your dining for the week.. So you can absolutely buy the package now and if it goes on sale you can cancel and rebook because like I said your not making any reservations now anyways. 

50 minutes ago, Shari3 said:

I tried to make a dinner reservation at chops and the app put it in my cart. It said I need to pay for it now. I’m confused....

8790C3A7-E92B-4219-8CFF-66F4C8A6D98D.jpeg

3CF68E10-14A5-47AB-B9CF-59BCCC0A750C.jpeg

Buying Chops by itself is different than buying a package.. You originally said you wanted to buy a package so I was giving you advice based on that.. If you are buying one individual reservation then yes you will have to pay now and it will be for a specific time and date.. I highly recommend you buy a package rather than chops for $50 a person. Buying a package is a much better deal in the long run.. I see on your pictures it offers you the 3 night package for $99 that's the one I recommend.. Usually it will go on sale for $89 and if it does you can cancel and rebook at the lower rate.. 

You can not make the reservations at a specific restaurant for the package until you get on board. 

If you do it the way you are suggesting (pay now and then cancel onboard) you will get refunded what you paid as OBC.  It usually isn't an issue getting what you want for dining reservations as long as you are a little flexible with dates/times and do it as soon as you get on the ship.

I have a Question on this topic.  I am traveling in August on Allure, I have Specialty Dining scheduled for day 3.4,5  but I noticed now that Day 5 is usually a formal night and I wanted to be in the MTD during formal nights.  I looked at my Cruise planner and to switch it would cost me more money.  Would I be able to do a swap to Day 6 for the exact same specialty dining and do my MTD on Day 5 on the ship without incurring an additional charge?

10 minutes ago, VinceC said:

I have a Question on this topic.  I am traveling in August on Allure, I have Specialty Dining scheduled for day 3.4,5  but I noticed now that Day 5 is usually a formal night and I wanted to be in the MTD during formal nights.  I looked at my Cruise planner and to switch it would cost me more money.  Would I be able to do a swap to Day 6 for the exact same specialty dining and do my MTD on Day 5 on the ship without incurring an additional charge?

You should be able to do this when you get on the ship.  I would do it immediately after boarding to make sure you get the time that you want.  Also make sure that you verify with your waiter when you do dine that you have a prepaid specialty dining credit so that they can sort it out before the end of the meal and get you a zeroed out receipt.

14 hours ago, Shari3 said:

If you want individual reservations (ie, not a package, just pick & choose restaurants you want to go to), you should pick the date, time & restaurant now, especially if there is a sale.  If you book a dining package, I believe they pick the first one for you, & then you pick the rest on board (plus you may be able to switch the first one on board, but not certain, as I have only done a BOGO package 1 time, the rest I have done as single reservations)

HOWEVER -- no matter which way you do it, ANYTHING you pick in Cruise planner -- activities, dining, beverages, excursions -- that has a cost attached to it MUST BE PAID FOR AT THE TIME OF RESERVATION.  If you cancel it at least 3 days prior to sailing, you get repaid however you paid for it (OBC, Credit card, etc).  If you cancel & re- book at a better price, you do run the risk of not getting your preferred date & time, but you might be able to get around that by calling Royal & having someone do it for you over the phone.