Chat with app on Oasis?

8 minutes ago, Cruisely said:

I think everything on the app works on these ships:

This is from the RCI app.

A3D07A24-4136-477B-85C8-B2BBFC88CBFA.jpeg

The messaging feature is currently ONLY available on Harmony and Allure.

Other features are available for those other ships...

But, Royal IT it not reliable or up to date.  Once you are on the ship, things will be more accurate, but from what MANY on this forum say, it's really not to be fully trusted even then.  Rely on your Cruise Compass once on board.

12 minutes ago, JennyB said:

The messaging feature is currently ONLY available on Harmony and Allure.

Other features are available for those other ships...

But, Royal IT it not reliable or up to date.  Once you are on the ship, things will be more accurate, but from what MANY on this forum say, it's really not to be fully trusted even then.  Rely on your Cruise Compass once on board.

Sorry @Atlanticocean . I thought all of those ships had the messaging feature.

8 hours ago, SSMEX said:

On the ships that do have this feature, does messaging send a push notification or do you have to manually check the app to see if you have a new message?

Others have indicated Push notifications were active, I just don't know how reliable.  But to reiterate, it's currently available only on Allure and Harmony

8 hours ago, SSMEX said:

On the ships that do have this feature, does messaging send a push notification or do you have to manually check the app to see if you have a new message?

To further complicate it, Harmony is a former RoyalIQ ship that features the loophole that allows iMessage to work for free.

That hidden feature is to allow push notifications to work which happens to use the same ports as iMessage.  This is likely why Royal chose to migrate Harmony to the new app to test chat on a ship where push notifications work already.  

Unfortunately it causes confusion with reporting when people don't understand the nuances involved in experiences on one ship versus another ship.  Push notifications may work on Harmony and they are likely trying different things on Allure to see if they can get push notifications to work on Allure without the full iMessage bypass that Harmony has.  One cruise push might work then another it doesn't as Royal tries different things on Allure.  

Bottom line - it's in beta right now and results on either ship are in no way indicative of long term behavior.  

On 6/28/2019 at 3:36 AM, twangster said:

To further complicate it, Harmony is a former RoyalIQ ship that features the loophole that allows iMessage to work for free.

That hidden feature is to allow push notifications to work which happens to use the same ports as iMessage.  This is likely why Royal chose to migrate Harmony to the new app to test chat on a ship where push notifications work already.  

Unfortunately it causes confusion with reporting when people don't understand the nuances involved in experiences on one ship versus another ship.  Push notifications may work on Harmony and they are likely trying different things on Allure to see if they can get push notifications to work on Allure without the full iMessage bypass that Harmony has.  One cruise push might work then another it doesn't as Royal tries different things on Allure.  

Bottom line - it's in beta right now and results on either ship are in no way indicative of long term behavior.  

That's exactly what I was trying to subtly ask! Are you sure it's limited to iMessage? I think what's actually happening is that in order to enable push notifications for iOS devices, the internet system must enable access to the Apple push notification server, so you get all your push notifications. This is similar to how messaging-only services on airline Wi-Fi still enable push notifications.

AFAIK, there's no way to restrict iOS push notifications to only RCL notifications, hence why they can't disable non-RCL push notifications.

21 minutes ago, SSMEX said:

That's exactly what I was trying to subtly ask! Are you sure it's limited to iMessage? I think what's actually happening is that in order to enable push notifications for iOS devices, the internet system must enable access to the Apple push notification server, so you get all your push notifications. This is similar to how messaging-only services on airline Wi-Fi still enable push notifications.

AFAIK, there's no way to restrict iOS push notifications to only RCL notifications, hence why they can't disable non-RCL push notifications.

I’m not sure I understood much of this but I can tell you push notifications were happening on allure in March, but very inconsistently.  Jane

7 hours ago, SSMEX said:

iMessage and push notifications use the same port through a firewall for communication.  Youtube does as well, as well as some other 3rd party apps.  iMessage is allowed through as a side effect of getting push notifications to work for the RoyalIQ app that also allows other push notifications through.  For example, news alerts from a local TV station at home but if you try to tap that push notification it goes no where without a purchased Voom plan.

It was rather annoying getting push notifications about the latest things some world leader had tweeted about while I was on vacation.   On a positive note I would get Periscope notifications when any of my cruise friends went live.

This push notification issue is what is causing the delay rolling out the chat feature for the new app.  Royal would rather not enable iMessage fleet wide however in my opinion they should.  

Royal touts the "stress free" vacation concept.  Royal builds ships for multi-generational cruising families and they do it really well.  How better way to be stress free then to allow texting between family members?  Grandparents can be relaxing in the Solarium while another generation is ice skating while another generation is mini-golfing.  Let them text for free!