Convincing someone new to cruising?

Sooo.... I have a friend that I really want to bring on my Western Caribbean & Perfect Day Symphony of the Seas cruise. But, she has never been on a cruise ship before and says that she is scared of sloshing around in the ocean and getting seasick. I have already told her that the ship is so big that she won’t feel it move or get seasick, but she is still hesitant. 

Thanks! ?

Hi @Cruisely Tell your friend that there are so many effective and inexpensive preventive remedies. We always bring a variety of ginger products and some over the counter medicines. Fortunately, we have NEVER had to use any of them and on a ship the size of Symphony, she'll probably be fine.

When is the sailing? If she was sailing from the Northeast in the winter there'd be more of a chance of a lot of ship movement, but she should be fine for this trip. 

You can also tell her that the very first time I was on a ship (and it was a LOT smaller than Symphony), the first night was the best night sleep I have EVER had! Some nights when I lie awake, I wish I could recreate it.

2 hours ago, Cruisely said:

Sooo.... I have a friend that I really want to bring on my Western Caribbean & Perfect Day Symphony of the Seas cruise. But, she has never been on a cruise ship before and says that she is scared of sloshing around in the ocean and getting seasick. I have already told her that the ship is so big that she won’t feel it move or get seasick, but she is still hesitant. 

Thanks! ?

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true, though. You can absolutely feel the ship moving sometimes, even in relatively clear water. Throw in a storm and it can get downright awful...on my last cruise, we had a day where I swear most of the people on the ship were sick, including my wife who almost never gets seasick.

I think the biggest thing is to realize cruising isn't for everything. Don't ever feel like you need to convince someone to enjoy what you enjoy, because if they go and dislike it they'll hold it against you.

For my nervous husband's first cruise we did a trip that had lots of ports.  That way we knew we could get him off the ship if he got bored.  He suffers from motion sickness at times (mission to Mars at Disney about killed him) but he hasn't had trouble once in his two trips and still felt motion).  

We always bring the motion sickness meds, and then end up throwing them out.  But better to have them with you!  Jane

There are also bands that you wear on your wrist to help with motion sickness and pressure points. OR to be safe have her get the behind the ear patch that way she is safe guarded. We did that before we got on the ship my first 4 trips and never needed anything else even with a pretty rocky ship a few times. 

I felt just like your friend on my first cruise as I am prone to sea sickness so I brought meds, Dramamine, bands, and the ultimate plan was if I just hated it I would get off on the first port and fly home. I even went so far as to have flight reservations from Grand Cayman, our first stop. That was now three cruises ago and I ended up loving the cruises. The only issue I have is the effect of swaying once I get off the ship for a couple of days as my brain readjusts to being on dry land.

Dramamine can make you drowsy so make sure you get the non-drowsy pills. I have found that Bonine actually works better with my body with no tired effects.

I am very prone to motion sickness.  I am also claustrophobic, afraid of heights and afraid of water I cannot see/touch the bottom of.  I SWORE I would NEVER cruise...

THEN, my brother and I bought our parents a cruise for their 50th Anniversary...and parents wanted us to go with them...so THEY bought OUR cruise.  LOL 

On that cruise (a 4 night Bahamas cruise that left from Orlando in an interior cabin), I took Dramamine non-drowsy every day...knowing ahead of time that I tend to get motion sick...and I didn't want to be sick on the cruise.  I was MISERABLE the whole time...not with motion-sickness necessarily, but just generally feeling "off".  I did NOT enjoy that cruise.  I just didn't feel like myself.  I even told my hubby and the others we were with that when i tell them, somewhere down the road, "Oh, it wasn't THAT bad...we can go on another cruise..." I WANT them to remind me how TERRIBLE I felt on that cruise. 

So two years later (LOL)...hubby and i went on another cruise (6-night Western Caribbean that left from Ft. Lauderdale, balcony room) ONLY after I did some TONS of research...I read somewhere that taking the non-drowsy Dramamine MIGHT have been the whole problem.  So, on our second cruise I didn't take it each day.  I just went and packed some to take with me "just in case".  The only time I ended up feeling sick was after an excursion day in port where we rode a charter bus all day.  That evening, back on the ship, I was a bit sea sick...So, i took dramamine and was perfectly fine the next morning.

We cruised again last December...didn't need the Dramamine AT ALL.  Not one time.

Having the balcony room also helped.  It helped me not feel so claustrophobic.  

I won't lie and say I don't ever feel the ship moving.  But it's not an uncomfortable feeling and it hasn't been to the point of making me feel sick.  And most of the time, I DON'T feel it. 

Honestly, everyone who tends toward motion sickness feels and deals with it differently.  I have had such a great time on our cruises, and we will likely cruise for the rest of our lives.

2 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

There are also bands that you wear on your wrist to help with motion sickness and pressure points.

These really do work. We used these for my daughter's motion sickness over 30 years ago and they are still highly rated to this day. You can buy them on Amazon (4.6 rating) or at Walmart, Target. etc. for about $8.50 so certainly worth trying.