Juneau, Alaska- Mendenhall Glacier question

Magandsons

We have some restrictions when we do excursions. I have 2 Autistic teens who just can't handle really long tours or a lot of waiting around.  Initially we had only booked the tram in Juneau but I'd really like to see Mendenhall Glacier. Does anyone know if its possible to take a cab to/from the national park so that we can see the glacier on our own? I know we won't stay there very long so I'm not worried about missing the ship but I am concerned about taking a cab to the park and then not being able to find another cab to take us back.

Has anyone just gone to Mendenhall on their own and how did you do it? Thanks in advance!!

9 minutes ago, Magandsons said:

Does anyone know if its possible to take a cab to/from the national park so that we can see the glacier on our own?

Yes, absolutely. We did this last year. Just hop in a cab and go. It's a short drive to the park.

5 hours ago, Magandsons said:

Is it difficult to get another cab back to the ship? 

If you wait until the park is nearly empty and you should have been on the ship already, perhaps.  

It's the US.  Cell phones work.  Talk to the cab driver on the way there, ask him or her.  Get the number for the taxi company.  Leave yourself lots of time.  

Most stops in Juneau have long times in port so it's generally not an issue unless you push your luck and make it one.