CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS RESCUED FROM WATER AFTER THEIR TAXI PLUNGES INTO SEA

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

including tourists destination and right here at home. 

Exactly. There are about 15,913 accidents per day in the USA. Doubt Newsweek is reporting on any of those, yet one in St. Maarten makes headlines. 

Why? Because they frame it around the idea of people on vacation in an accident. Plus, dramatic video of the van in the water helps sell it.

I was on the Freedom sailing where this happened. The reports of delayed departure because of the accident are very overblown - we were scheduled to depart St. Maarten at 5:00 p.m. and pulled away from the dock at 5:20. The ship was NOT delayed until Sunday.

Early reports shared with us by the suites concierge were that the driver was texting when the accident happened. One passenger suffered a broken arm and one had water in the lungs.

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I was on the Freedom sailing where this happened. The reports of delayed departure because of the accident are very overblown - we were scheduled to depart St. Maarten at 5:00 p.m. and pulled away from the dock at 5:20. The ship was NOT delayed until Sunday.

Early reports shared with us by the suites concierge were that the driver was texting when the accident happened. One passenger suffered a broken arm and one had water in the lungs.

Thanks. I'm happy it wasn't any worse. Hopefully, there will be consequences for the driver if he was, in fact, negligent.

RE: The news link. What is with Newsweek? The article spent more time bashing Royal Caribbean than detailing the accident. It also seems that Cruise Law News was their source for information which should be no surprise as that's the way those bottom feeders over there operate. Journalism?? Ha! Ha! Ha!

A similar thing almost happened to us in Vanuatu! Driving is a free for all there.. our taxi almost backed off the edge of a pier! We had to yell at the driver to stop. I was ready to kick the window out because I thought we were going over the edge.. it was a small van and we were not near the door.