Costa Maya vs. Cozumel for Diving/ Ruins

swimking1

I am taking my first western caribbean cruise on Symphony next year, so this will be the first time i am hitting Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I was hoping to do 2 major things in Mexico, go diving, and see ancient ruins.  So my question is, which of these two ports is best for these two activities?  And in general how do the ruins and the diving from each location compare to each other?

Thank you

Cozumel is known for diving due to typically very good visibility however they tend to be drift dives.   That's okay unless you don't like drift diving.  You cover a lot of terrain but its hard to stop and linger if you see something interesting.

I've never taken a dive in Costa Maya, not sure it's known for diving at that spot on the coast although it does appear a couple local operators offering something.

Seeing decent ruins in Cozumel involve a ferry over to the mainland and the channel can be rough sometimes, then a bus ride so it's a massive time investment.  There are minor ruins on Cozumel island but its mostly foundations.  Better ruins can be seen from the mainland including from Costa Maya.

I'd consider ruins from Costa Maya and diving in Cozumel.

39 minutes ago, swimking1 said:

I am taking my first western caribbean cruise on Symphony next year, so this will be the first time i am hitting Costa Maya and Cozumel.  I was hoping to do 2 major things in Mexico, go diving, and see ancient ruins.  So my question is, which of these two ports is best for these two activities?  And in general how do the ruins and the diving from each location compare to each other?

Thank you

We have seen Tulum (from Cozumel) and Chacchoben from Costa Maya.  I preferred the latter, due to the transportation issues mentioned above.  If you do risk the ferry ride, try the Amazing Secret River near Playa del Carmen, you swim/hike in a river through caverns.  There are multiple trails so you don't take the same hike twice.  A bit arduous but loads of fun.