Taking breakfast back to room.

kittysoul

I am sailing with folks that said that they like to just have the continental breakfast every morning on the balcony.  I really am a big breakfast person and want to take advantage of the big breakfast buffet.  What I was wondering is if I can just venture over to the buffet and get my breakfast food myself and bring it back to the room to eat on the balcony with my friends?  Do people do this?   I really hate to pay 8 dollars a day for bacon and eggs and such, when i can go get it myself for free...and other stuff too!  Also, if you can do this, will they give you a box or do you just carry a plate of food (or 2)  back to your room?

Yes, people do it all the time.  They usually just fill up a plate and go (I haven't seen any "to go" containers in WJ).  It is similar to eating at tables outside.  You just need to navigate stairs or elevators without making a mess...  I'd throw an extra cloth napkin on top of the plate.

22 minutes ago, kittysoul said:

I am sailing with folks that said that they like to just have the continental breakfast every morning on the balcony.  I really am a big breakfast person and want to take advantage of the big breakfast buffet.  What I was wondering is if I can just venture over to the buffet and get my breakfast food myself and bring it back to the room to eat on the balcony with my friends?  Do people do this?   I really hate to pay 8 dollars a day for bacon and eggs and such, when i can go get it myself for free...and other stuff too!  Also, if you can do this, will they give you a box or do you just carry a plate of food (or 2)  back to your room?

There aren't any to go pkgs at windjammer but I actually have seen people pack lightweight trays.  But you can carry as much food as you want anywhere.  I often would grab a deck chair and then go get a plate to bring back to my chair.  I sometimes even pack a travel mug to carry coffee back and not spill!  Jane

I see many people and I am one of them just put what they want on their plate and then cover their meal with another clean plate while they bring it back to their room.  Works out fine, no dirty looks and you can enjoy your full breakfast on the balcony without the commotion of finding a seat I'm the windjammer

Hi kittysoul, we just got back from first cruise HOTS. Hubby does not eat breakfast and i love it. I went up the WJ or Solarium, asked a passing serving if i can have their tray and loaded up a plate and fresh juice or a boxed milk. I placed an upside down plate on top  of my filled plate walked back to my room. The elevatir always had people on it, so someone always pushed the botton for me. I had the wow band on my wrist, so no digging for a seapass..Viola..Worked great everyday, and left the tray and empty plate outside my room when done. Meow! ( happy cruising)

16 hours ago, marti314 said:

I see many people and I am one of them just put what they want on their plate and then cover their meal with another clean plate while they bring it back to their room.  Works out fine, no dirty looks and you can enjoy your full breakfast on the balcony without the commotion of finding a seat I'm the windjammer

Another option is to carry the cover from your travel companions' room service continental up to Windjammer - if you use that cover on your first plate, the second plate has a nice flat surface to sit upon for ease of carrying. The stacking possibilities are only limited by your ability to hold a pile steady.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:40 PM, kittysoul said:

I was thinking about ordering a continental brekky or perhaps just a coffee just to prime me up for a good breakfast later. 

Just remember...food will be cold by the time you eat it....at best its  "warm" even when you east it right away in the WJ....by the time you get it back to your room and eat it on your balcony it will be cold.....whether you cover it with a plate or napkin or not...

Cold eggs and bacon isn't for me.....its a nice idea, but bringing any food back to the room from the WJ or any place really isn't ideal or practical imho...or at least anything that's supposed to be hot or warm.

Worth a try sure...but I think you'll be disappointed....unless you enjoy your hot breakfast cold...

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Just remember...food will be cold by the time you eat it....at best its  "warm" even when you east it right away in the WJ....by the time you get it back to your room and eat it on your balcony it will be cold.....whether you cover it with a plate or napkin or not...

Cold eggs and bacon isn't for me.....its a nice idea, but bringing any food back to the room from the WJ or any place really isn't ideal or practical imho...or at least anything that's supposed to be hot or warm.

Worth a try sure...but I think you'll be disappointed....unless you enjoy your hot breakfast cold...

I'll eaten cold food right from the serving dishes, so eating immediately there versus on the balcony isn't always that much different.  My food has also gotten cold just wandering the WJ looking for a table.  

On 6/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, RTripp said:

Hi kittysoul, we just got back from first cruise HOTS. Hubby does not eat breakfast and i love it. I went up the WJ or Solarium, asked a passing serving if i can have their tray and loaded up a plate and fresh juice or a boxed milk. I placed an upside down plate on top  of my filled plate walked back to my room. The elevatir always had people on it, so someone always pushed the botton for me. I had the wow band on my wrist, so no digging for a seapass..Viola..Worked great everyday, and left the tray and empty plate outside my room when done. Meow! ( happy cruising)

We've had stateroom attendants ask us to leave the trays and plates in our cabin, and they will take care of removing it for us.  They don't like them left in the hallways, as it can be difficult for people in scooters and wheelchairs to navigate around them and will often hit them and spill any leftovers on the plates.  We're seen cups still half full sitting on the floor in the hallways - I'm sure they make a huge mess when little kids running down the hall or those scooters/wheelchairs knock them over.  

10 hours ago, thepla said:

What about having a lox omlett made in mdr and taken back to room 

You can request to keep the plate cover on an MDR served item and take it with you. We frequently have one individual who just doesn't feel like going to dinner but wants a plate brought back - ask and they'll be happy to accommodate.

also, just order a continental breakfast with your friends and then keep your tray and the plate cover(s). 

also order from the omelet fresh egg station and then load your other items, your eggs should still be warm unless your room is far far away

anyway lot of good suggestions here that you can make work

On 6/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, kittysoul said:

We like to order the continental breakfast early and then head done for a later breakfast. It's nice to have coffee, fruit and say a muffin or two while we get ready. 

It's like breakfast appetizers! Who doesn't love that? And it's complimentary!

Happy cruising!

11 hours ago, FManke said:

We like to order the continental breakfast early and then head done for a later breakfast. It's nice to have coffee, fruit and say a muffin or two while we get ready. 

Happy cruising!

I love this idea... will definitely be doing that!

15 hours ago, FManke said:

Happy cruising!

We do this too frequently! Jane

I'm not a big breakfast eater but the reason I never order room service breakfast (even fruit and coffee) is because I don't know EXACTLY when I will get up on vacation.  I might wake up earlier or later.  I'm on vacation.  I don't want to set an alarm clock for room service.  I've dashed down a few levels to get coffee on the promenade and dashed back up again to drink it on my balcony, but the waits at the buffet and the promenade for (hot or cold) food are prohibitive to take back to the room, IMO.  What I will do is drag a plate out to a deck chair by a window.

12 hours ago, cruise-y said:

I don't know EXACTLY when I will get up on vacation.  I might wake up earlier or later.  I'm on vacation.  

This is precisely why we do room service. I do not want to have to get myself up, shower, and dress in order to run to the CK (or Chops) before it stops serving breakfast.  Room service will call you before they deliver so I have time to throw on a robe and be ready when they get there.  Having breakfast out on the balcony in your robe or jammers is just SO vacation-y. It’s one of my very favorite things about cruising.