MDR & Specialty Restaurant Dress Questions (teens & kids)

GatorGal

Hi all - we are taking our daughters (ages 10 and 14) on their first cruise on Allure next month. What would you say is the typical attire in the MDR for teen and pre-teen girls? My thought is casual dresses, rompers, etc (excluding formal nights).....but I can already see them wanting to show up in their jean shorts some nights and I have a feeling that wouldn't be the best option for them! Thanks in advance. Hubby and I went on Majesty 6 years ago and I wasn't really paying attention to what kids were wearing! 

Also, we have reservations at Izumi Hibachi on the second night, which is a formal night. Is it typical for guests to dress in formal attire in the specialty restaurants on those nights? My inclination was yes.

Thank you very much for your guidance! 

Attire has kind of gone to anything goes.  In terms of izumi... Some people go specialty instead of mdr to avoid dressing up while others will still be dressed way up.  My youngest was 12 on her first cruise 4 years ago and she wore casual dresses.  We just didn't feel comfortable going jean shorts.  I think she wore a skort a couple nights too.  That being said I think rompers are fine and really I haven't heard from anyone lately denying entry...especially for kids... because of dress code.  Have a great trip...we loved allure in March!  Jane

I would discourage jean shorts at dinner in MDR, as mentioned.  Our son more or less grew up cruising, and we persuaded him to wear long pants.  If you set a good example, I am sure you will be fine regardless of what your kids insist on wearing.   After a few days, one is left with a smaller selection of clean clothes.....  And as far as formal night goes, do the best you can; we once attended the first formal in our travel clothes because the airline "lost" our luggage.  We explained everything to the Maitre'd and were still warmly welcomed (we told him we'd go to "Windjammer if necessary).

As for the specialty restaurants, we have also noticed erosion in the clothing standard, but we always dressed nicely and saw many others do the same.  You really can't be over-dressed when you go out to dinner.  It's just that with teenagers, some things aren't worth arguing about...  Enjoy!

20 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

we once attended the first formal in our travel clothes because the airline "lost" our luggage. 

People used to dress up to fly but it seems everyone has gotten lax about that.  Social norms are loosening and things that were once considered casual can now be considered dressy.

Thank you all! There really is no chance I'm letting my daughters show up to dinner in their jean shorts, but I just wanted to be armed with info in case of a battle LOL. I honestly don't worry about my 10 year old, but my 14 year old believes she knows everything! ? 

We took our 12YO grandson with us last year on Liberty, and his mom sent him long khakis pants and polo/golf shirts and also nice khaki golf shorts, we only made him wear the long pants on formal nights, other wise he wore the nice shorts. On formal nights he and I ran back to the room to put on shorts after dinner.

We ate in specialty restaurants every night.

I realize you have daughters but figured I would throw this out there for you.

7 hours ago, GatorGal said:

Thank you all! There really is no chance I'm letting my daughters show up to dinner in their jean shorts, but I just wanted to be armed with info in case of a battle LOL. I honestly don't worry about my 10 year old, but my 14 year old believes she knows everything! ? 

Yep.... And it didn't get much better as they get older lol (they just decide they need two hours to get ready and put on make-up!!). Jane

On 6/25/2019 at 5:02 PM, GatorGal said:

Hahahaha, I have one of those too! My 15-year old hasn't mentioned jean shorts yet but as soon as she sees someone, I'm sure the conversation will come up. So far, she plans on wearing rompers and casual sundresses to the MDR and repurposing dresses she wore to friends' sweet 16 parties for formal night.  Have fun!