Door Decorations

Hello, I couldn't see a thread on the forums anywhere but does anyone have any tips for decorating your door on RCL? 

I know other companies have rules and things, but I didn't see anything for RCL when I looked. 

I'm thinking about making some fun halloween decorations for outside our room maybe with our names on it. 

Any tips, advice and dos/don'ts?

Most doors are metal, so anything with a magnet will stick to it. I have a roll of magnet tape that I use, I just cut it to fit whatever I am putting up. I have some things I purchased from Amazon, some from a teacher site, and some from the local party store. 

You can also purchase a custom designed magnet.  Mine come from @CruisingKat(Kathy).  There are others you can find on Etsy as well.  

There are no real rules...but do NOT use the gel type window decals.  They leave a colored stain on the doors.

Just now, KathyC said:

Most doors are metal, so anything with a magnet will stick to it. I have a roll of magnet tape that I use, I just cut it to fit whatever I am putting up. I have some things I purchased from Amazon, some from a teacher site, and some from the local party store. 

You can also purchase a custom designed magnet.  Mine come from @CruisingKat(Kathy).  There are others you can find on Etsy as well.  

There are no real rules...but do NOT use the gel type window decals.  They leave a colored stain on the doors.

Oh fun! I'm thinking foam pumpkins with our names on them... Also do you know if you can use command hooks to hang up the decorations?

Just now, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Oh fun! I'm thinking foam pumpkins with our names on them... Also do you know if you can use command hooks to hang up the decorations?

You can, I don't think it would hurt the door. 

Some suites on some ships have wood doors.  But if you are in a regular cabin you will be fine.

10 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Do you have any photos of your doors in the past?

Here's one.  The four small decorations are from a teacher store near me, for a nautical themed bulletin board.  The two bigger ones are magnets made by Kat.  The Bon Voyage came from Amazon, I think?  Or maybe the party store.  It's a long strip of plastic streamers.  I just cut the size I wanted. 

DSC03660.thumb.JPG.f6a206d583a1bd64789586a8fe8fde46.JPG

3 minutes ago, KathyC said:

And last one, a combo of the first two pictures.  

AqhnfeYIp2rY0GNjeyF7kjIEgdOHnlrOXNniJXTOH3JWu-Uop9lNCzKKQby3Y3XLjS-W8sizvN1BAmtpiYtDdOcL1B5j5vi44bTibNBMdOhCKFO-nMeyXhFB0hbBd1fMqcKaJnXlZ2cxdq4J00rLGRVwY9zskkMV48ORN5OdLD6rycuj6H5O9hONQI3EsTw7ciFfkKR54csdKt-XqTbMBIqkGaeeIq7hFkq6RDVGCvwuLTL8kK-l8gGofAk2A1QF2pcdly76vktT9_aM9hPHWCJvNI4wD2UWAAjoU9D0YhIXk2v0W9ZxVJR6BKepe4OeViL-lE9Ebiu4cTmxKzFzTxG1crrksYPSfHXEBl8ha89-Beer8ZaZ5n4SSuKZ41MLPQlU9xGAD8EOlgpNZx_Ht8tURor3T0vQ_9X0Q7iGbhICv1i_ZWq4Rb1mJCD6ht5EFU-zjiCkI0-dwVNPuniomYk_SRZiXIccATFLolGbEKlj92hcv2kMNLSJa3H6lk-cG3iRqxFezfDAAb_uPN6nxkQluIzCJgvQ7vJBKG0GWHi8u1I6Hi1ePpaeVQJhgnri2r-81VCcoXCyb6RT5stZCxtaTcHO4Jw3x2Y1-ZEv4OQH4tjFV92ecNd3-lsfp946AktG0Bp7A-gU5Gh3dBJO1cM9DRqGTQM=w745-h993-no

Thank you! I love the Bon Voyage one! I will have to keep my eye out for it... This will be the first time traveling during any holiday (that there are decor for) so im very excited to try and decorate! I say try because my "sense of style" is limited lol

Never really thought about decorating the door. Might be a fun thing for a special occasion.

I have seen a few decorated doors. Best I remember they looked like a thin silver foil had been scotch taped to cover the entire door with some message like 'Happy Anniversary'. At the time I assumed it was one of those little things you could order on board and  the crew or your attendant would put it up. It seem to remember that, when  you make reservations, you are asked if it is a special occasion ..... and I just assumed .......

I may have to go to the local Party Store and look for New Years door decorations.

1 minute ago, Ditchdoc said:

Never really thought about decorating the door. Might be a fun thing for a special occasion.

I have seen a few decorated doors. Best I remember they looked like a thin silver foil had been scotch taped to cover the entire door with some message like 'Happy Anniversary'. At the time I assumed it was one of those little things you could order on board and  the crew or your attendant would put it up. It seem to remember that, when  you make reservations, you are asked if it is a special occasion ..... and I just assumed .......

I may have to go to the local Party Store and look for New Years door decorations.

YES! Do it! I plan on going to Dollar Tree when fall stuff comes out and getting my decor. You can also decorate the inside of your cabin if you want also I believe

3 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thank you! I love the Bon Voyage one! I will have to keep my eye out for it... This will be the first time traveling during any holiday (that there are decor for) so im very excited to try and decorate! I say try because my "sense of style" is limited lol

This is it: https://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Party-Tape-Accessory-count/dp/B003BQ8ZUC/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cr_simh_0_7/143-9900311-1898530?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003BQ8ZUC&pd_rd_r=dabf2004-3c62-40e8-b608-1d2d5db6bbcb&pd_rd_w=d30vk&pd_rd_wg=9bFnX&pf_rd_p=67aa5820-8762-4202-90ba-881bb99c913c&pf_rd_r=7T9YB1F6G7CY4XSBZMT6&psc=1&refRID=7T9YB1F6G7CY4XSBZMT6 

5 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I haven’t used the command strips on the door but I have totally used them in the room and they worked great.  There are also small metal hooks you can buy on amazon.  I keep thinking I will decorate sometime...maybe for my husbands bday on the next cruise!  Jane

4 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

YES! Do it! I plan on going to Dollar Tree when fall stuff comes out and getting my decor. You can also decorate the inside of your cabin if you want also I believe

I’m a preschool teacher....spend way too much time in dollar tree!!  They have great decorations!  Jane

1 minute ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Between Dollar Tree and the Target Dollar Spot during fall/winter my bank account HATES ME...

Lol...I think the dollar section of target has gotten a lot pricier....lots more 2 and 5 dollar things....that’s way more dangerous!  Jane

For those of you who decorate the inside of your cabin, are the walls also metal?  Just wondering if magnets will work on the inside walls for decorations.... from what I remember the bathroom door is also metal ? Thanks!

2 hours ago, CFL said:

For those of you who decorate the inside of your cabin, are the walls also metal?  Just wondering if magnets will work on the inside walls for decorations.... from what I remember the bathroom door is also metal ? Thanks!

Yep, all metal.  We bring small magnets for things like invitations.  We have a dry erase board for writing messages and things we want to go to, that is a magnet sheet.  We also bring hooks, for hanging lanyards, hats, jewelry, and hangars from the ceiling when trying to dry swimsuits. 

15 hours ago, CFL said:

I always take magnets with clips and use them for all kinds of stuff (walls, doors, and even the ceiling)!

• 3 weeks later...

I brought a pair of flip flop magnets on my last cruise to put on our door to help identify it.  My in-laws came on the trip too, and didn't bring anything to decorate their door with, so we loaned them one of our magnets, and we each had one flip flop on our doors.  They were several rooms down the hall from us, and it was helpful to spot their room more easily too, especially since the magnets matched.  If you're traveling with others, you might want to make sure they have something to hang up too so you can find their room just as easily as yours.