London hotels

Mljstr

We are on the Anthem April 12 transatlantic sailing from Cape Liberty to Southampton. We are staying over in London for four nights and need recommendations for hotels that are convenient to tourist attractions and in the $200-$300 a night range. Has anyone done this and where did you stay?

Also when the ship debarks in Southampton, what time can I expect to be off the ship? We will be getting private transportation from ship to hotel. 

I work in London. If you want my advice stay in a new ish hotel. Some of the older ones are horrific. Dorsett have a good one right by Aldgate tube station that is new and pretty reasonable. We use booking.com normally. Avoid any included breakfast anywhere that are all crap. Find a decent place out and about, I’d recommend ‘the breakfast club’ but tables can only be booked during the week, weekends is a 40 min wait. Being near a tube station is key. 10 min walk is the furthest you can get from a tube so this is not near! Feel free to ask any other question for honest response ❤️

2 hours ago, Nikkoo said:

I work in London. If you want my advice stay in a new ish hotel. Some of the older ones are horrific. Dorsett have a good one right by Aldgate tube station that is new and pretty reasonable. We use booking.com normally. Avoid any included breakfast anywhere that are all crap. Find a decent place out and about, I’d recommend ‘the breakfast club’ but tables can only be booked during the week, weekends is a 40 min wait. Being near a tube station is key. 10 min walk is the furthest you can get from a tube so this is not near! Feel free to ask any other question for honest response ❤️

Any idea about the Grosvenor Victoria? Thank you

18 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

@Nikkoo I am considering the Marriott London Kensington. Have you had experience with that one? Good tip about breakfast!

Hi,

its a nice hotel and ok for access to a couple of museums but everything else will be a tube. You will find better and cheaper in London elsewhere. The intercontinental on Grosvenor Sq is amazing but might be a bit pricey. Even the breakfast there was ok ?

10 hours ago, Mljstr said:

We are on the Anthem April 12 transatlantic sailing from Cape Liberty to Southampton. We are staying over in London for four nights and need recommendations for hotels that are convenient to tourist attractions and in the $200-$300 a night range. Has anyone done this and where did you stay?

Also when the ship debarks in Southampton, what time can I expect to be off the ship? We will be getting private transportation from ship to hotel. 

I have traveled to London many times and we always stay at the K&K George in Kensington. Super nice English hotel in a great location. Earls Court tube station is a 2 min walk from the hotel. Enjoy your time in London. It’s one of the greatest cities you’ll ever visit. 

https://www.kkhotels.com/london/hotel-george?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6r64nMqA4wIVjv5kCh0-8w4REAAYASAAEgKw0_D_BwE

26 minutes ago, markm said:

Any idea about the Grosvenor Victoria? Thank you

I’ve never stayed there but it’s very well located for getting around London by tube. A lot around that area has been redeveloped recently, if it’s a new building all good, if it’s and old one check the windows are double glazed and not secondary glazing. It will be noisy at night!

28 minutes ago, hayley_bopp said:

I'd recommend the Park Plaza hotels. We've stayed in the Westminster one and the Victoria one. Both a great standard and good location. 

Mercure London Bridge is also good.

All 3 of these are good and more centrally located. Park plaza ones are nice but try to find breakfast elsewhere. For clarity I’m a civil engineer and like a good hearty breakfast!!

One option I love is Google Maps. Just head to their webpage, scroll in to the London area, and type in "hotel". It'll then give you the chance to type in dates (April is too far out right now) and it will give you prices on the map. You can't book through Google Maps, but it'll provide you a list of prices from different vendors. I ALWAYS recommend booking directly through the hotel itself, even if it's slightly more expensive, as you avoid any potential problems with a middle man. Also, more and more hotels are offering perks by booking directly with them versus a third party...could be things like free WiFi, free breakfast, late check out, early arrival, etc. Not always, but it's gaining popularity now that some of the biggest chains are doing it.