Upgrade room category after final payment?

cellyn

Sorry, I know this is a basic question but I feel like I must be nuts.  My cruise is in 36 days and I'm currently booked in an inside cabin but we're thinking some fresh air might be nice, so I've been keeping an eye out for price drops on balconies, but it seems like Royal Caribbean is determined to not give us one.  Also I'm starting to learn the value of a travel agent but it's too late for this cruise!  Here's what's happened so far:

Last month there was a big price drop overnight, so I called up and asked to upgrade, but they were unable to match the price I found online.  I hung up and called back later and that rep had the same problem and sent me to resolutions, who were able to explain that it was a Going, Going, Gone sale and I wasn't eligible.  A quick google search confirmed this policy and I was on my way.

This morning there was another price drop and it's not listed on the GGG flyer so I thought I was all set.  I called and this time the rep told me that I would lose my $50 OBC (ok, fine), but that also the balcony guarantee was now a bit LESS expensive and she can't move me there because I have to choose a room that costs more so that she can charge me the difference.  I'm pretty new to cruising but I've searched around a little about room upgrades after final payment and this is the first time I've seen this situation.  Is this really the case?  I was looking at a guarantee room and the non-guarantee are several hundred dollars more so I didn't want one of those.  The rep said that she can't do a "downgrade" after final booking and I asked if moving from an inside room to a balcony is a downgrade and she affirmed that it was because of the pricing.  I also told her that I wasn't expecting any money or credit to be refunded, but she wouldn't budge.

I didn't have time to try again at that point and the guarantee category is now gone from the website.  If it does come back, and if it is an appealing price, is this something that a different rep is likely to handle without issue?  Would appreciate guidance from the experts!

As we come from Australia we spoil ourselves.

I had the same issue two years ago. We had a Balcony that's fine as no Suites were avaliable at the time. A few weeks out some Suites came up anyway long story short we were told that we would have to cancel and rebook, not an issue but we would loose the total money and would then have to,pay for the suite in full. Not worth it.

Told when we were on board and met a few people that they did the same thing (around the same time we were looking)  only had to pay the difference from Balcony to Suite. 

Was not happy at all.

You can try putting in a few bids through RoyalUp for staterooms that were more then the one that you chose when you booked the cruise.

If your bid was accepted for one of the staterooms that you had bid on or all of the staterooms that you had places a bid on was denied,W Royal Caribbean will email 2 days before your cruise to let you know if your bid was accepted or declined. If your bid was accepted Royal Caribbean will charge the amount of the bid to the card that you used to make the bid with. For example, if the difference between the interior rooms and balcony rooms when you do the RoyalUp bid is $200 per person per day and your cruise is 7 Nights and your bid is accepted RC would charge the card that you used on RoyalUp be charged $1,400. 

If declined they will place you in a stateroom in a location that you yourself would not have selected at the time of booking if you choose to select your room location but if your bids have been declined they will put you in whatever stateroom is available in category that you selected, but not in the same location that you had selected at the time of the booking.  

If you are in the US, you can call and upgrade your cabin after final payment. 

The caveat is you won't get any money back. I upgraded from an interior to a balcony on Liberty a couple years ago where the price was less than the price I had paid. The upgrade was made, but no refund. This was after final payment.

2 days ago we upped from an interior to an ocean view on Empress and paid the $30 difference, again after final payment. Attempting to do another now if the right cabin is available.

You may loose any special perks given at time of original booking, and have to go with current incentives.

Thanks all! L454S, that's how I understood it to work too but I specifically asked if she was unable to move me to a room that cost less even though I wasn't asking for a refund and she confirmed that was the case. I'll keep an eye out and try again. I do have a RoyalUp bid too!