When do we get the detailed cruise itinerary?

Nikkoo

Hi,

Sorry for the constant noob questions but... when should we expect a more detailed itinerary? Just wondering about formal nights, shows and the like. Hard to book special dinners if you don’t know when things are. We go mid August if that matters. 

Thanks in in advance for your help. 

Nick

It depends on which ship you are sailing on. If it is a ship that uses the new Royal app, in theory at some point around I think 60 days your sailing will show up in the app and you can play around with what you can see. However the app is notoriously inaccurate with information. Your best bet is to look at the Cruise Compass section of this website and look at a compass for a sailing that is most similar to yours in length and itinerary on that ship since they tend to copy and paste past schedules from one sailing to another. 

6 minutes ago, Nikkoo said:

I saw a post earlier about the royal app, pretty sure ours does not use it as it’s a smaller / older one. Do they not send you anything before you set sail?

If your on a small older ship you can't sign up for shows in advance.. The shows are usually at 7 or 7:30 and then again at 9 or 9:30.. What ship are you on exactly? Its possible we have some cruise compasses that you can look at. And also no they don't send you anything in advance sorry. 

15 minutes ago, Nikkoo said:

I’m pretty sure it’s the explorer of the seas, going for 2 weeks around Europe. Thanks for any help you can give ?

Yeah that's a Voyager class ship its about middle aged.. Anyways see if there are any old compasses here on the blog site.. Like I said nightly shows are either going to be at 7:00 or 7:30 or 9:00 or 9:30.. They do this to accommodate the two main dinner seatings in the dining room.. Other than that there is no way of knowing in advance.. The cruise director makes up different times for different things every week. I would either make dinner reservations at 6 or 6:30 and see the 9 pm show or I would make dinner at 8:30 and see the earlier show.. 

We have the MDR booked for the early slot but it’s good to know that the shows are repeated. I believe there are no broadway style shows on our ship but lots of other good stuff to watch. 

Youve all been been very helpful, thanks so much ?

On some ships not Oasis class the first show and the last show are compressed -- a single show for everyone, but this is where a recent Cruise Compass would come in handy.  The Compass (for a cruise of same length) would also help identify formal night (s).  The Explorer has a nice Promenade a nice lounge/dance floor for bands and such.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that you will not know what the schedule of your particular cruise is going to be until you board.  If you were on a ship with a reliable app (I don't think there is one of those in existence yet !) then you could be reasonably sure that you have a pretty good idea but there is just no way to know until you board - and even then sometimes they make last-minute changes.  Old Cruise Compasses from previous similar sailings is a very good tool and probably even more reliable than any app at this point...but it's still not going to be exact.

To me, that is why My Time Dining is such a wonderful option.  You can make a reservation on a good faith estimate of what you think is going to occur, but if you find out, once you board, that your estimate was off slightly, then all you have to do is change your dining reservation to work around your entertainment schedule.

I know that it's frustrating not to know exactly what your schedule will be but it also adds a pinch of spontaneity to the whole thing. ...and just remember that everyone is dealing with the same lack of information !

17 minutes ago, pezgirl said:

We will be on the freedom of the seas end of July. Just booked it. I am a bit confused on what we have to plan ahead. Do we need to reserve shoes now?  Our ship was not on that graphic. Thank you. 

Shows are only available to book on Oasis and Quantum class ships.

1 minute ago, mworkman said:

Shows are only available to book on Oasis and Quantum class ships.

Thank you. For some reason, I am finding planning this trip a bit overwhelming. So we just attend the shows when we want?  We will have the key if that makes a difference. 

32 minutes ago, pezgirl said:

So we just attend the shows when we want?  We will have the key if that makes a difference. 

... 30 minutes prior is definitely a good rule of thumb... Even with the Key, I would recommend arriving no later than 15 minutes prior to be safe...

On our cruise last month (Allure), they would always open up the reserved section around 8-10 minutes prior to the start time to general admission in order to fill the section.