Costa Maya excursion recommendations

josepena12

I have a Majesty cruise going to Costa Maya on Friday August 2nd (It was originally Havana but that’s not the case anymore). I tried to book Maya Chan as soon as I got the new itinerary  but they were already booked up. In my party there are  5 adults, my nephew (12 years old) and my infant daughter ( 1 years old). I feel like I am scrambling since I book my excursions way in advance. I need any and all recommendations from the RCBlog family.

We enjoyed Chachoben and this September we will try a raft trip in Uchben Kah Eco-Reseort (Lake Bacalar).  That said, the infant daughter may not take too well to bus rides....  You might split your party and try different excursions, then compare notes.  We have also just taken the tram to the village and walked around.  Just costs a few $$ over to Mahahual and the taxi ride back.

Hi Josepena12, our group was just in Costa Maya HOTS on Frid. The port was very friendly safe/ almost gated area, in fact when we came back via taxi, we had to show a seapass to get into the port area. There was a very nice pool/ swimming area, live flamingos, parrots to see. Great market shopping, nice food & clean bathrooms hand washing area. We had emailed the Manager of   Tropicante, and had reserved chairs or loungers that had thatch roof cover. They had an ok for Mexico, bathroom, good food(no one got sick) and an excellent staff Ivan and others serving buckets of Corona or icee drinks. The Island has a stinky type of sea moss& the Tropicante area does a pretty good job of raking up the moss. There is literally a mesh pen area about200 yards out to keep the brown seaweed out the swimming area. Tropicante staff organized a boat that took our group Snorkeling for an hour, $25 each & they all had a blast( limited I think of 8 though). A few of us stayed back , shopped the main beach road, lounged & were waited on, umbrellas were dug into the sand for us & also a table with chairs , if requested, was placed right on the shore line, and kids built sand castles. Super great time! Only not so fun was constant locals selling their wares, but we just smiled & said no & they moved on. Really NO harassing at all, no communication from them, they are just trying to making a living, they did NOT interrupt or bother in anyway. Hope this helps.

Hi Josepena12,

We will arrive Costa Maya next July 9th (Symphony Of The Seas). We have booked the Dolphin encounter and after this activity we'll go to know Mahahual. After that we'll return to Costa Maya and will spend some time in the port area (swimming pools, shopping, etc.)

We travel with two kids (14 and 10).

I tell you more in a few days.

Last time I was there, we just stayed in the port area.  The overhead aviary is fun and it gets you up in the breeze above the crowds. It was about $15/adult and the picture package was about $20, I think. I spent about an hour exploring (caveat: I am a bird person). The suspended bridges between the different aviaries are fun to walk on and the view of the ships is spectacular.  You get to feed the birds, and when I ran out of food, they refilled my cup a couple of times.  It made for a nice, low-key port day.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would just do the port area... Lots for your daughter to see.  We did that and then jumped on the taxis that shuttle out to the free beaches and did that for a little bit.  It was laid back and casual.

We also did the Mayan ruins which were amazing but it was a long day ... If the group splits up at all, some people might want to do them.... It was definitely a long bus trip though and it will be hot there.  Jane

Hi - we were there in March and went to the water park.  It was great fun and had nice zip lines that all landed in water.  We did an all day pass which let us come and go so we went back to the port for lunch then returned to the water park after lunch.  They have a free shuttle running between the port and park.