Allure of the Seas medical emergency

Hoski

4 hours ago, twangster said:

... and that was also prompted by a medical emergency from what I understand.

@Hoski, you were on that cruise with us too, right (5/19-5/26)? :27_sunglasses:

We are going on the Allure  in a couple weeks and are new to cruising.  I have read about a couple medical emergencies where ships have had to go back to ports to evacuate the a patient therefore some ports have had to be skipped or shortened.   I am 100% for a person's medical needs as top priority so just curious why they don't air evacuate the person needing medical care with a helicopter or call in the cost guard? It seems like it would be a lot faster.

Hi, kjhgarden !  Welcome to the blogs.

First off, not all ships have helipads and even for the ones that do, sometimes it's just not safe for a helicopter to land.  There are rare situations where they will air evac someone without landing the helicopter but those are very, very rare.

I think that, as a matter of safety, if time permits, it is just a safer and lower risk situation for Royal to try and make a port evacuation vs a sea evacuation.

They only attempt an at-sea evac in extreme emergencies where time is of the extreme essence and the risk is worth it.

Good question though !!

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Hi, kjhgarden !  Welcome to the blogs.

First off, not all ships have helipads and even for the ones that do, sometimes it's just not safe for a helicopter to land.  There are rare situations where they will air evac someone without landing the helicopter but those are very, very rare.

I think that, as a matter of safety, if time permits, it is just a safer and lower risk situation for Royal to try and make a port evacuation vs a sea evacuation.

They only attempt an at-sea evac in extreme emergencies where time is of the extreme essence and the risk is worth it.

Good question though !!

We had a helicopter evac on the Anthem around June 14 ... but there were 2 helicopters and a c-130 flying around just in case something happened.  we slowed way down, but couldn't come to a complete stop due to the seas.

While doing New England and Nova Scotia on Enchantment out of Baltimore:

Its a bit different in that from Baltimore the ship has to travel south all the way down the Chesapeake Bay, past Norfolk/Hampton Rhodes before entering the Atlantic and turning north.

On the way back there was a medical emergency and Enchantment made an unscheduled stop in Norfolk to drop the patient off. The dock was in an area used to load container ships and very 'industrial'. Waiting at the dock were an ambulance, fire truck, several security vehicles and so on. Half the ship was at the rail watching as the EMTs wheeled the patient off in the stretcher and loaded them in the ambulance.

It took all night to traverse the Chesapeake but we arrived in Baltimore on time.

48 minutes ago, TheHobbys said:

We had a helicopter evac on the Anthem around June 14 ... but there were 2 helicopters and a c-130 flying around just in case something happened.  we slowed way down, but couldn't come to a complete stop due to the seas.

I recall that.  Must have been a serious emergency !

Timely ... I just ran across an article from USA Today ...

Some snippets:

This past week a 55-year-old Canadian man and his wife  were airlifted from Anthem because the man was suffering from abdominal pain.

In April, also on Anthem,   a 71-year-old woman experienced chest pain and the Coast Guard arrived and was able to evacuate the woman from the ship about 30 miles east of Asbury Park NJ.

In December of 2018 a 79-year-old man had to be airlifted off the coast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina with symptoms of kidney failure, again from Anthem.

Seems  like Anthem is having a string of bad luck when it come to cruisers health. At least they have plenty of practical experience if you run into trouble.