I had to share this

JLMoran

Back when I blogged my first cruise on Freedom last year, I had posted a couple of pictures I'd taken of some art my younger daughter had drawn / painted while we were staying in the hotel pre-cruise. Here's the photo again, for those who hadn't seen...

C6067BD1-3A71-46B0-9623-98582AE6063E.thumb.jpeg.07cb113a5039f815330f2ac62ae13d65.jpeg

What a difference a year of high school can make! This was Kara's final project for the year in year in her Freshman Drawing and Painting class:

fullsizeoutput_30f8.thumb.jpeg.e0742bbe872cdd1958c0656c99e45053.jpeg

Hand drawn, hand colored, all her own work and effort. I cannot begin to say how proud I am of her, and I can't begin to imagine the career and life she'll have ahead of her as an artist.

Yes, she already has determined that being an artist is her career choice; she wants to major in illustration in college, but may double major in photography after taking photography 1 this year as well, and discovering that even with her benign tremor she is able to compensate well enough to take photos that have gotten her repeated praise from her teacher in that class as well, along with winning many "picture of the week" contests in her class and having some of her photos showcased at gallery events the school has held.

#seriouslyproudpapa

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

#seriouslyproudpapa

You have every right to be proud Joe! The title of your post certainly shows you are busting at the seams, as they say. I am probably the furthest thing possible from an artist, but what really jumped out at me were expressions on the faces in both drawings. WOW! As far as photography, I think her Dad knows a thing or two about that. I have a niece that is also an amazing artist, but is not sure yet if she wants to make a career out it. She is in the state of "If it's work, I may not love it any more". Time will tell.

Great post proud Papa! Sorry, that is seriously proud papa!?

14 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Looks like auction material to me!

Heh, thanks, but after getting some more explanation of the creation process from my daughter I'd have to say... no, for copyright reasons.

She explained to me this afternoon that the specifics of the project were to take a complete photograph / image as a reference, and then reproduce it on the paper by free-hand. It's not a photocopy-type reproduction; my daughter told me that while she took the main elements and such, things like the details in the veil or the woman's dress, the final look of the face and hands, the translucency styling on the veil, or the shading and "grain" of the hair are all her own interpretation and creation, since the image was reference and not to be copied 100% exactly. And of course, the actual coloring and layering / shading is all her.

Still a #seriouslyproudpapa. ?