Popcorn

levy1980

51 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

On Oasis-class ships we had to pay, so we don't eat it anymore.  In 2017 it was $2.50, not sure what it is now.

Oh bummer! Won't be buying it, spending enough on the cruise will just go and get some other snacks from somewhere!

17 minutes ago, levy1980 said:

Oh bummer! Won't be buying it, spending enough on the cruise will just go and get some other snacks from somewhere!

you definitely have to pay.. its $2.50 and when I went on my family cruise last year my father in law kept asking us what's with all the $2.50 charges lol we told him it was the popcorn. 

It is complimentary for Star Class guests and when we were on Anthem in Feb our Genie (Yen) kept asking us, night after night, if we wanted any popcorn for the show.  As we were ALWAYS JUST coming from eating SOMEwhere, we were always WAAAYTOOO full to ever eat any popcorn.  I wanted to....I love the smell of popcorn...but I was always busting a gut coming from some eating establishment or another.?

I've always considered the popcorn charge a means to an end - keeping it from being everywhere. 

If it was free during movies nights the pool and hot tubs would be full of it as would be the pool deck.  Kids would be throwing it around without a care from their parents.  When there is a charge though, suddenly people become responsible with it since they paid for it.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I've always considered the popcorn charge a means to an end - keeping it from being everywhere. 

If it was free during movies nights the pool and hot tubs would be full of it as would be the pool deck.  Kids would be throwing it around without a care from their parents.  When there is a charge though, suddenly people become responsible with it since they paid for it.

good point but I have taken many NCL cruises and they offer free popcorn during movies in the atrium and there was no popcorn all over the place. However, I do understand why Royal charges.. They do it because they can and they make extra money.. 

7 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

good point but I have taken many NCL cruises and they offer free popcorn during movies in the atrium and there was no popcorn all over the place. However, I do understand why Royal charges.. They do it because they can and they make extra money.. 

On Carnival I have seen the popcorn in the hot tub effect.  That was my basis of understanding.  Crew would sweep it up off the pool decks at night, it was in the elevators near the pool.  

On 6/24/2019 at 4:24 PM, 12thman said:

Thank you @spiralqueen!

No problem! The cart also had some drinks in it to buy as well. If you are going to something in Studio B I highly recommend grabbing something from the cart rather than the Studio B bar. That bar was MOBBED and it took me 10-15 minutes to get a bottle of water. They almost gave away my seat but my mom managed to protect it. 

I actually love popcorn... It's one of my favorite snacks in the world.  On our last cruise I actually had an extra bag of smart pop that I actually carried on and snacked on.  I miss crunchy snacks on the ships, but the last two actually had small potato chip bags which made us all happy!  Jane

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 7:23 PM, twangster said:

You’d think so, huh? Just got back from Allure of the Seas. After the afternoon performance of Blue Earth, you wouldn’t believe how many popcorn boxes (and uneaten popcorn) were strewn all over the chairs and floor. So sad. 

1 hour ago, Cindy Leslie said:

You’d think so, huh? Just got back from Allure of the Seas. After the afternoon performance of Blue Earth, you wouldn’t believe how many popcorn boxes (and uneaten popcorn) were strewn all over the chairs and floor. So sad. 

Which just kills me.  I'm a popcorn fanatic.  I actually eat it for dinner dinner nights.  I would LOVE for it to be free on royal.  Alas these people make it not!  I actually brought a bag of smart pop on my last cruise and may do it again.  Jane