Bermuda Scooter Rental

Christie

Since we are overnighting in Bermuda and they don't rent cars there, I've had my heart set on renting 2 scooters and exploring on our own. But the more I read online, the more this seems like it's not a good idea unless you are an experienced street biker in the states. My parents are also insisting that we get international health insurance for the trip since they know someone who got in a really bad scooter accident there and it cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

Is it really that bad?

We are going to be there the first full week of September. Will it be more of an off season then?

My parents horror story they always tell me of was their honeymoon when they rented a scooter (can't remember if it was in Bermuda or DR) and got into an accident and ended up in the hospital.  Personally, I'll never ride/rent them but I am sure many people rent them without incident.

• 7 months later...

Since we are overnighting in Bermuda and they don't rent cars there, I've had my heart set on renting 2 scooters and exploring on our own. But the more I read online, the more this seems like it's not a good idea unless you are an experienced street biker in the states. My parents are also insisting that we get international health insurance for the trip since they know someone who got in a really bad scooter accident there and it cost them tens of thousands of dollars.

Is it really that bad?

We are going to be there the first full week of September. Will it be more of an off season then?

My mother has said the same thing ..... every time she went to Bermuda, she witnessed scooter accidents..... combine that with the fact that they drive on the left side added to the danger.