Refundable versus non refundable OBC

Note - sometimes the OBC is split among two or more people, so each person will want to use Sea Pass card to exhaust the OBC.  As an example, we "lost" a big $4 on Harmony last month because one of our party never used her Sea Pass for the nonrefundable OBC.  When you are on the ship, you should see your account on the stateroom TV, and you'll be able to see how the OBC is split up and being utilized from day to day.

13 hours ago, Clear Laker said:

Non Refundable.

Maybe my logic is wrong (usually is. . . when it is), but I would think the refundable would be zapped first so if there is any left over OBC it's more likely to be the non-refundable and the cruise line is not obligated to give the money back to the guest. @twangster and @WAAAYTOOO what are your experiences with this?

Edited by Baked Alaska
Pinging

2 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Maybe my logic is wrong (usually is. . . when it is), but I would think the refundable would be zapped first so if there is any left over OBC it's more likely to be the non-refundable and the cruise line is not obligated to give the money back to the guest.

that's exactly what i was thinking as i read this. 

I think you are giving them too much credit ( or maybe you were given too much (OBC) credit)  :)

I've never had an issue spending all my OBC so I can't comment.  I suspect if 100 people each had this scenario with some non-refundable and some refundable OBC we would likely observe mixed results.  For some of those 100 the non-ref would be consumed first and some the ref. would be consumed first, and for others they would both be consumed simultaneously yielding a 3rd possibility.  

11 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Maybe my logic is wrong (usually is. . . when it is), but I would think the refundable would be zapped first so if there is any left over OBC it's more likely to be the non-refundable and the cruise line is not obligated to give the money back to the guest. @twangster and @WAAAYTOOO what are your experiences with this?

We have the RC Credit Card.  It's rewards are refundable onboard credit.  We checked the policy with RC.  On 2 sailings we had small amounts remaining that we had to go to Guest Services to collect the night before the end of the cruise so we didn't donate it to RC.  We can confirm this is how it works.  We like to give cash tips beyond Prepaid Gratuities so we take remaining $$ and leave it for stateroom attendant.

19 hours ago, Clear Laker said:

We have the RC Credit Card.  It's rewards are refundable onboard credit.  We checked the policy with RC.  On 2 sailings we had small amounts remaining that we had to go to Guest Services to collect the night before the end of the cruise so we didn't donate it to RC.  We can confirm this is how it works.  We like to give cash tips beyond Prepaid Gratuities so we take remaining $$ and leave it for stateroom attendant.

Thanks! Did you have any non-refundable OBC in the mix, too?