Private Journeys-NE/Canada

Boston Babe

Hey there, @Boston Babe! Haven't used them myself, but have you tried searching the web for local tour operators who you could book directly? That's really all that using Royal's Private Journeys will do, in the end. If you're OK with the premium they'll charge in exchange for the peace of mind that you're guaranteed the ship won't leave without you, then definitely go ahead; but I'd suggest looking around for local places that could help you out and that do private bookings in addition to groups, emailing them, and seeing what they say before going through Private Journeys.

I'm in a similar bind with my Iceland / Greenland cruise, due to the funky hours we're in port for Reykjavik. I've begun searching around and have already found two local tour operators who do private bookings and small groups to cover the areas I'm looking to visit while we're there. Hoping to find at least one more so I can do the usual "get three bids and pick the middle one" strategy.

11 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Hey there, @Boston Babe! Haven't used them myself, but have you tried searching the web for local tour operators

HI Joe!!  Been Awol for awhile, dealing with hubby, but stable so we are forging ahead on our 25th Anniversary cruise on Lady G!  I'm going to do that too.  I was just curious if anyone used them. I'll check, I'm really looking at Peggy's cove etc, we are going to Red Sox game in Boston we are there all day! YAY!!  Reykajvik has very good tour operators. (at least when I was there in my past lifetime!)  You must be getting excited as the time keeps going by! I hope you and your family are doing well my friend!  

7 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

....stable so we are forging ahead on our 25th Anniversary cruise on Lady G!

That is great news @Boston Babe. Happy Anniversary, welcome back and happy sailing. Hope everything stays stable or better for many years to come.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:32 AM, Boston Babe said:

HI all, has anyone used RC Private Journey's for a NE/CA cruise?  Just curious as it will fit our needs better than most of the regular shore excursions. Thank you! 

Welcome back!

We went to Peggy's Cove on a regular RC excursion. Loved it! It is a definite must see. The only down side to it was that there wasn't enough time. It was part of a multiple stop excursion, which we will refrain from taking in the future. Too much time on buses and not enough at the locations. I would suggest booking a tour that only included Peggy's Cove, which would give you enough time to take it all in.

If your stopping in Portland, Duck Fat, Holy Donut and the Standard Baking Co, are musts. 

Have a great cruise!

1 hour ago, FManke said:

If your stopping in Portland, Duck Fat, Holy Donut and the Standard Baking Co, are musts. 

Have a great cruise!

Thank you @FManke, are they right at the pier? Haven't been to Portland in years? My husband is disabled so we will have a scooter. That's the issue with the tours, too long, but we really want to do Peggy's Cove.

Just now, Boston Babe said:

Thank you @FManke, are they right at the pier? Haven't been to Portland in years? My husband is disabled so we will have a scooter. That's the issue with the tours, too long, but we really want to do Peggy's Cove.

Standard baking is basically right across the street from the pier. You have to get their croissants. They are fantastic.

The other two places are  maybe a four block walk.

• 2 weeks later...