Cheese Shopping and a French Bakery in St. Maarten/ Sint Martin

There is a wine and cheese shop near the port.  It is visited on one of the excursions, the Royal Family Food Tour.  I believe the shop is the Amsterdam Cheese and Liquor Store, but it is walking distance from the port exit (outside the gate, on the road towards town).  We were there last month.  They do cheese tastings.

2 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

There is a wine and cheese shop near the port.  It is visited on one of the excursions, the Royal Family Food Tour.  I believe the shop is the Amsterdam Cheese and Liquor Store, but it is walking distance from the port exit (outside the gate, on the road towards town).  We were there last month.  They do cheese tastings.

Have you done the Royal Family Food Tour?  I was thinking of trying it on our next trip.

Just now, CFL said:

Have you done the Royal Family Food Tour?  I was thinking of trying it on our next trip.

Yes, we did try it.  The pasta/cheese/wine sampling at the first stop was good.  The lunch was in a family-run seaside restaurant/snack bar near Marigot.  It was "authentic" barbecue, and we saw how hurricane-ravaged that Saint Martin still is.  It is not glamorous.  Dessert was nice - we sampled gelato at a shop run by an Italian family.   After three courses, we weren't hungry.  I do think it was overpriced on the ship -- we booked our excursions online at a sale price.  Our guide was knowledgeable (a British expat), and we learned a great deal of history as we drove around the island.  At the end of the excursion, you have the option of getting off in town for shopping or staying on the small bus to go back to port.

10 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

Yes, we did try it.  The pasta/cheese/wine sampling at the first stop was good.  The lunch was in a family-run seaside restaurant/snack bar near Marigot.  It was "authentic" barbecue, and we saw how hurricane-ravaged that Saint Martin still is.  It is not glamorous.  Dessert was nice - we sampled gelato at a shop run by an Italian family.   After three courses, we weren't hungry.  I do think it was overpriced on the ship -- we booked our excursions online at a sale price.  Our guide was knowledgeable (a British expat), and we learned a great deal of history as we drove around the island.  At the end of the excursion, you have the option of getting off in town for shopping or staying on the small bus to go back to port.

When did you try it? 

36 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Umm... I don't think this is a good sign...

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 8.58.28 PM.png

Odd, their Facebook page (@sarafinas.sxm) was updated June 7, 2019 and people were saying they were glad to see the bakery open. 

Just now, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

well that is good news. I will reach out there and see!!! Thanks for the tip...

No problem.  If you're there during the weekend, the Marina area market has a lot of stalls with vanilla and spices.  If you like hot sauce, the homemade stuff in handpainted bottles was worth taking all the way across the Atlantic and back home.

6 minutes ago, 4ensic said:

No problem.  If you're there during the weekend, the Marina area market has a lot of stalls with vanilla and spices.  If you like hot sauce, the homemade stuff in handpainted bottles was worth taking all the way across the Atlantic and back home.

haha thanks for the advice! We are looking for mostly a place to grab an french lunch and try some of the local cuisine.